• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod accuracy help on hunting gun

7mm-08 Freak

Medic
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
San Angelo TX
I am new to the Bi-pod world. I have been lucky enough to draw a tag for Pronghorn in 2 months and Id like to use a Bi-pod. Problem at hand my groups go from .65" of of a bag to 3"+ off the bi-pod on a bench at 100yds. The gun is a Montana 1999 in 6.5 CM sporting a Swarovski Z3. It is nothing fancy just a hunting gun. Bought it 3 days ago new. I figure ill be walking and shooting prone off of some sort of rest. Any suggestions on what to do or check to make it "shoot" on something besides a 10lb sand bag.

The good and bad groups. Top left was a called flyer on the good group. Hell I stopped at 3 on the bad one. Figured my 4th shot would have missed the back stop the way it was going.

Attachments

• photo67882.jpg
    photo67882.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
  • photo67883.jpg
    photo67883.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 28
What stock are you using? You are either overloading the bipod, not loading it enough, or the bipod is pushing the stock against the barrel.

Toss your backpack down and use that. I prefer to use my backpack when varmint hunting, and then use the bipod as my secondary option. lol

You could go old school and shoot off a small pack, althought that may be too low for a lot of situations.

Is the forend stiff enough to handle the bipod? Bipod legs act like a torque arm on the forend, a situation that isnt present when shooting off a bag. If your barrel is floated, but with iinsufficient clearance, you'll have issues. If it uses a tip pressure point, you'll have essentially the same issues due to inconsistencies shot to shot.

Bipods take practice for sure. A little forward loading helps. Whatever you do, you need to be very consistent shot to shot. Many have it down to a science, and they'll be along to give you the scoop.

What stock are you using? You are either overloading the bipod, not loading it enough, or the bipod is pushing the stock against the barrel.

Toss your backpack down and use that. I prefer to use my backpack when varmint hunting, and then use the bipod as my secondary option. lol

The stock is Walnut I think. Seems pretty stiff to me. I checked the float by folding a dollar bill in half and it is good even when the bbl is hot.

The stock is Walnut I think. Seems pretty stiff to me. I checked the float by folding a dollar bill in half and it is good even when the bbl is hot.

Have someone run the dollar bill through it when you are loaded aiming at a target. You would be amazed how much flex some stocks have, and how little it takes to really throw your shots off.

You could go old school and shoot off a small pack, althought that may be too low for a lot of situations.

Is the forend stiff enough to handle the bipod? Bipod legs act like a torque arm on the forend, a situation that isnt present when shooting off a bag. If your barrel is floated, but with iinsufficient clearance, you'll have issues. If it uses a tip pressure point, you'll have essentially the same issues due to inconsistencies shot to shot.

Bipods take practice for sure. A little forward loading helps. Whatever you do, you need to be very consistent shot to shot. Many have it down to a science, and they'll be along to give you the scoop.

I think ill clearance the bbl channel a little more. Cant hurt I wouldn't think. What is forward loading?

Go to a gun shop in San Angelo and ask them to direct you to somebody who can demo how to use a bipod. You'll make new friends, too.

I think ill clearance the bbl channel a little more. Cant hurt I wouldn't think. What is forward loading?

Forward loading is pushing the gun forward a bit into the bipod. This puts tension in the bipod legs and firms everything up tight.

Try shooting it off the ground. Sometimes shooting a bipod on the bench can be erratic due to bounce. But lack of sufficient stiffness or appropriate bedding in the stock is a bigger issue to look at.

Great advice here. I'll bet that your bipod, and your use of it, is causing contact between your stock and barrel. I have a similar issue with a Savage 10/110. The only solution, in my case, was to swap stocks (to a stiffer forend) or move the attachment point further back, where the stock is stiffer. OR....build a custom, which I did. Lol! I still have and shoot that Savage but I shoot it off a backpack or off a Hog Saddle and tripod when I want to go prone with that rifle. One day I'll put it in a better stock (heck, it shoots sub .3 moa all the way to 700!) but I haven't gotten around to it. You could also open the barrel channel a bit, as you mentioned; but you may need to do it more than you like esthetically. I don't know how far you're intending to shoot but shooting off a pack should be a really convenient solution for you. It's a lot easier to stalk and belly crawl with a bare rifle (sans tripod) and a backpack on - IMO. If you're bound and determined to go with a tripod, Frank (Lowlight) has some great instructional videos in the online training section and it might be worth paying for a month or two of access to watch them. I'm guessing your hunt is coming up here real quick; so getting some instruction on how to use a bipod properly is going to be important.

One other point - don't get too hung up on groups and group size. We all love shooting tiny groups but, for hunting, it's that cold bore shot that matters. Sure, you may need a follow up shot if you flub the first one but if your cold bore shots are consistent you likely won't have to worry and testing your group size in the field.

Good luck on your hunt!! Smack a good one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your elevation looks good. This is almost certainly position, not gear.

how tall is your bipod? If it's a 12", just use a pack. If it's a 2', then take a knee, shoulder the rifle and gently lean into the bipod until you start to feel tension.(loading) I think with the feet in he dirt/grass your results will be better. Try to use bone structure to help steady your position as well. Do NOT put your elbow tip directly on your knee cap. Try to place it between the knee cap and your quad or your tricep off the inner leg. If you know how to use a sling on your non-dominant arm, this can really help too. Focus on your breath control (not go in to be easy if a Boone and Crocket is 100 yards out) and follow through. You're probably not going to shoot bug holes from field positions but basic bone structure, simple bipod technique and your fundamentals will almost certainty lead to a successful hunt.

edit. Once you have some practice in, be realistic about the distance you can ethically take an animal. Stalking in to safe shooting range takes way more skill than benchresting your gear and dropping one 500 yards out.

congratulations. I hope you have a great hunt.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all the replies. Much has happened today. Spoke with the local Game warden where ill be hunting. he was SUPER cool. He said the grass was waist high in most places and prone shooting will be limited. He suggested shooting sticks sitting or standing. He also said there were a "crap ton of big goats this year lots of 13"+" also said "don't shoot the first on you see" and "an average shot in years past is 250 yds give or take so be prepared to shoot a long way". So with that information I guess ill be getting the LONG Harris bipod off the shelf and try shooting off of my butt at the range in a day or two. I never liked the 3 piece legs on it. Always felt it was unstable. Also went to the local gun shop and he said indeed my bbl was touching my stock so he removed a little wood and re-crowned the bbl while I waited. I found out from the maker or the gun the torque for the action screws is 65 inch lbs. Now to get some time to go shoot it and figure out how to shoot 300yds standing up off of sticks. This hunt has become a real ordeal but it will be worth all the work if I bust one way out there trophy or not.

Forward loading is pushing the gun forward a bit into the bipod. This puts tension in the bipod legs and firms everything up tight.

Try shooting it off the ground. Sometimes shooting a bipod on the bench can be erratic due to bounce. But lack of sufficient stiffness or appropriate bedding in the stock is a bigger issue to look at.
'
Yes it does jump up a little to the right. However looks like I'm going to try another route now since the grass is waist high I've heard.

Your elevation looks good. This is almost certainly position, not gear.

how tall is your bipod? If it's a 12", just use a pack. If it's a 2', then take a knee, shoulder the rifle and gently lean into the bipod until you start to feel tension.(loading) I think with the feet in he dirt/grass your results will be better. Try to use bone structure to help steady your position as well. Do NOT put your elbow tip directly on your knee cap. Try to place it between the knee cap and your quad or your tricep off the inner leg. If you know how to use a sling on your non-dominant arm, this can really help too. Focus on your breath control (not go in to be easy if a Boone and Crocket is 100 yards out) and follow through. You're probably not going to shoot bug holes from field positions but basic bone structure, simple bipod technique and your fundamentals will almost certainty lead to a successful hunt.

edit. Once you have some practice in, be realistic about the distance you can ethically take an animal. Stalking in to safe shooting range takes way more skill than benchresting your gear and dropping one 500 yards out.

congratulations. I hope you have a great hunt.

Looks like ill be using the 2 footer model due to tall grass. I'm practicing the technique your describing and it feels awkward but ill get there. Is sitting on your butt a good style with the long sticks?

If the grass is 2+ feet high you're probably going to have to use shooting sticks. A trigger stick bipod is nice, bogpod, etc. They're only aboit $120 and double as a walking stick. It would stuck if you get out there and can't see through the grass.

If the grass is 2+ feet high you're probably going to have to use shooting sticks. A trigger stick bipod is nice, bog pod, etc. They're only about $120 and double as a walking stick. It would stuck if you get out there and can't see through the grass.

There is a store here that sells those. Been looking for an excuse to buy one for a few years LOL

When shooting a bipod from a concrete bench, a scrap of carpet under the feet helps eliminate the bounce.
Impact point remains identical to prone grass/ dirt shooting

Thank you guys for all the replies. Much has happened today. Spoke with the local Game warden where ill be hunting. he was SUPER cool. He said the grass was waist high in most places and prone shooting will be limited. He suggested shooting sticks sitting or standing. He also said there were a "crap ton of big goats this year lots of 13"+" also said "don't shoot the first on you see" and "an average shot in years past is 250 yds give or take so be prepared to shoot a long way". So with that information I guess ill be getting the LONG Harris bipod off the shelf and try shooting off of my butt at the range in a day or two. I never liked the 3 piece legs on it. Always felt it was unstable. Also went to the local gun shop and he said indeed my bbl was touching my stock so he removed a little wood and re-crowned the bbl while I waited. I found out from the maker or the gun the torque for the action screws is 65 inch lbs. Now to get some time to go shoot it and figure out how to shoot 300yds standing up off of sticks. This hunt has become a real ordeal but it will be worth all the work if I bust one way out there trophy or not.

Shooting 300yds off sticks from the standing position is VERY difficult. BogPods are awesome and I have several pairs I use for shooting from a seated position but 300yds is the absolute max I would shoot at a trophy animal off a bogpod in the seated position. No way I could pull off a really accurate shot standing, with a BogPod, at 300yds. I have a tripod with a Hog Saddle for standing shooting. 2' high grass should still allow you to shoot seated; particularly if you can find yourself some slightly elevated ground to shoot from.

Shooting 300yds off sticks from the standing position is VERY difficult. BogPods are awesome and I have several pairs I use for shooting from a seated position but 300yds is the absolute max I would shoot at a trophy animal off a bogpod in the seated position. No way I could pull off a really accurate shot standing, with a BogPod, at 300yds. I have a tripod with a Hog Saddle for standing shooting. 2' high grass should still allow you to shoot seated; particularly if you can find yourself some slightly elevated ground to shoot from.

Yeah sorta wondered if 300+ standing was a reality for my limited skill set. I'm just going to have to find a good spot on a rise or low grass and stick with a bag prone or the long sticks seated/kneeling. Have a Boy scout meeting tonight but tomorrow ill go shoot with all the new found knowledge and equipment. Wish me luck. I hate to sound cliche' but this really will be a once in a lifetime hunt for me. I have to get this figured out fast. I have 6 weeks to figure it out. Thank you all again for the advice and help.