• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod advice/opinions wanted

papershredder

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 23, 2021
in the land of Indiana
I will soon be in the market for at least one bipod, possibly two. The first is for a bolt action. I'm looking for a bipod that put the apex above the barrel, so far it looks like my options are Atlas, Accu-tac, Elite Iron, Cadex, and maybe Tbac (not sure if Tbac actually places apex above barrel, too close to tell from pictures I've seen so far). What I'm looking for here is one that is well built/durable, has pan and cant ability, easily/quickly adjusted, has available leg extensions and feet options, and the lighter weight the better. Any of those stand out above the others? Any other brands I miss here?

The maybe 2nd bipod will be for a large frame AR variant. It currently has a 16" barrel with 9" hand guard. It also currently has an old cheap Versapod mounted which I do not care for one bit. The Versa is bulky, heavy, loose at all joints, does not stay folded when in other shooting positions and the legs also extend under recoil. If I do decide I want to keep a bipod mounted to it, here is what I want : The most lightweight bipod that remains in position under recoil, quick to deploy and adjust. Again this here is a maybe purchase as I do like having the bipod, but with such a short handguard, I may forego the bipod and just go with an angled fore grip and barricade stop combo on the bottom rail. So what's your advice? Is Harris good enough here or is there much better options to consider?

Atlas CAL is by far the lightest amongst the ones you listed but has no pan feature. Hard to beat though.

Reactions: papershredder
Pan feature is useless.

TBAC, Atlas CAL and elite iron in that order is what I recommend.
Agree with this statement since i dont think i have ever used the pan feature on my Atlas PSR.
Some may use it but i havent found any use to date for most of the shooting i do.
The Atlas is my only top end bipod to date all others have been various Harris models.
The soft rubber feet on the Atlas is easy to load into even on smooth concrete surfaces and the throw lever mount is great for swapping around to different rifles, im slow to learn so still havent crossed over to ARCA yet.

You’d be very happy with the atlas cal. I have the cal Gen II and it is excellent. Just acquired a TBAC as well and will be running both this year

I started with an Atlas PSR, found the pan not helpful. If I needed to pan far enough when switching targets, I was doing enough movement that resetting the bipod position wouldn't be significantly more effort. The Atlas CAL has some play left and right, enough that I don't miss the pan feature.

Usually Atlas bipods are at a discount in the PX, so try both PSR and CAL, sell what you don't like.

Hard to beat the CAL.
Even harder to beat a elite iron.
From what searching I've done so far, the Atlas beats everything in weight including Cadex's Falcon Lite, with that and the price, the Falcon is pretty well off the list at the moment, Same deal with the Accu Tac when comparing it to the CAL. So that leaves the three TacticalDillhole mentioned. Which most of the CAL models beat the Tbac in weight and price as well. Now the Elite Iron is not cheap or light compared to the others listed, but I do like how it's designed. The only caveat I have with the Elite Iron is mounting it. The stock on the bolt gun (Rem700 pss) is the factory H-S Precision stock, no rail, just a pair of sling studs. I don't have any plans of replacing that stock, so I would need to either buy a rail adapter that replaces the sling studs like the BT17 from the makers of the Atlas (or similar, I think Seekins also makes one as well) or have an adapter made for the Elite Iron to mount directly to the stock using the sling stud bolt holes. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Tbac. I would like to hear a little more about that one.

From what searching I've done so far, the Atlas beats everything in weight including Cadex's Falcon Lite, with that and the price, the Falcon is pretty well off the list at the moment, Same deal with the Accu Tac when comparing it to the CAL. So that leaves the three TacticalDillhole mentioned. Which most of the CAL models beat the Tbac in weight and price as well. Now the Elite Iron is not cheap or light compared to the others listed, but I do like how it's designed. The only caveat I have with the Elite Iron is mounting it. The stock on the bolt gun (Rem700 pss) is the factory H-S Precision stock, no rail, just a pair of sling studs. I don't have any plans of replacing that stock, so I would need to either buy a rail adapter that replaces the sling studs like the BT17 from the makers of the Atlas (or similar, I think Seekins also makes one as well) or have an adapter made for the Elite Iron to mount directly to the stock using the sling stud bolt holes. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Tbac. I would like to hear a little more about that one.
honestly I don’t even know if there is a way to mount either the atlas or the TBAC with a sling swivel stud. I could be wrong but those are designed to be rail mounted, either RRS or picatiny.

Just replace the studs with a rail. Check out Seekins Precision too. I’ve got an Atlas Cal and a TBAC, both are excellent, about the same weight, but the TBAC is extremely quick to deploy. Perhaps a bit wider stance too.

Just replace the studs with a rail. Check out Seekins Precision too. I’ve got an Atlas Cal and a TBAC, both are excellent, about the same weight, but the TBAC is extremely quick to deploy. Perhaps a bit wider stance too.
About how much quicker is deploying the Tbac than the CAL? Rapid deployment interests me because I'm entertaining the idea of competitions. If there is a significant difference, then that might trump price and weight.

How do you know that rapid deployment matters?

Well I guess that would depend on if the competition is a timed event. Theoretically the quicker someone gets set up, the quicker the round gets sent. Which, assuming the round is on target, equates to a higher score in the end. Or at least that's my understanding of how the scoring of some matches works.

About how much quicker is deploying the Tbac than the CAL? Rapid deployment interests me because I'm entertaining the idea of competitions. If there is a significant difference, then that might trump price and weight.
The TBAC you pull the legs down (like a Harris). The atlas requires you to push a button to release the legs.

The TBAC legs are also spring loaded and extend with the push of a button.

I haven’t played with my TBAC much yet. But did mount on the gun along with the atlas the other day. I could definitely deploy the TBAC legs faster than the atlas. That doesn’t matter for my use

Now a person just learning a TBAC vs someone experienced with the atlas the speed may be a wash. And depending on how much time you have to deploy may make a difference as well. If a competition can be won by a fraction of a second then the TBAC will have an advantage as far as I can see.

I think with little practice you’d be able to deploy the TBAC faster.

If I had a gloved hand (winter) the TBAC would definitely shine

Last edited:
Considering you can set a bipod before a stage (assuming PRS) or you have 4ish minutes (CD, NRL Hunter) you are going to have WAY more to worry about with a factory stocked R700 as a rookie shootet than 2 seconds to deploy a bipod

One thing I didnt like about the TBAC is deploying the feet into mud versus an Atlas which has a full leg

Considering you can set a bipod before a stage (assuming PRS) or you have 4ish minutes (CD, NRL Hunter) you are going to have WAY more to worry about with a factory stocked R700 as a rookie shootet than 2 seconds to deploy a bipod

One thing I didnt like about the TBAC is deploying the feet into mud versus an Atlas which has a full leg

Good points all around. Thanks for pointing out foot attachment. Does the Tbac feet lock down in anyway or does it just twist on and off? If just twist on and off, I could see the Tbac feet becoming loose and falling off over time and wear.

@papershredder: if you're looking for apex above barrel, maybe also check out the Tier One Evolution Bipod: https://tier-one-usa.com/products/evolution-tactical-bipod
Well that's one I didn't know about, but I'm not so sure it would work with the stock on my rifle. Their dimension spec page on that is missing some critical info. Thanks anyway!

@papershredder: if you're looking for apex above barrel, maybe also check out the Tier One Evolution Bipod: https://tier-one-usa.com/products/evolution-tactical-bipod
Tier one is legit. I have the tactical bi-pod and it's very nice and solid. I also have a tbac and a newly acquired accutac. If you want the apex above the barrel the evolution by Tier One is it. The tbac is very good and probably the best "all around" bi-pod. The accu-tac that I have is more like an f-class set up. It's very wide and very secure but it's also pretty dang big. Tier One Evolution and Tbac sounds like they would be your best bet OP.

Tier one is legit. I have the tactical bi-pod and it's very nice and solid. I also have a tbac and a newly acquired accutac. If you want the apex above the barrel the evolution by Tier One is it. The tbac is very good and probably the best "all around" bi-pod. The accu-tac that I have is more like an f-class set up. It's very wide and very secure but it's also pretty dang big. Tier One Evolution and Tbac sounds like they would be your best bet OP.
On the Tier One, how wide is that U shaped opening that goes around the fore end of the stock at the top and bottom ? They don't give dimensions. This stock here is what is on the Rem. I just threw a tape measure on my stock. The bottom of that opening at it's narrowest just before the curve has to be 2 3/16" wide in order to fit around the forend of my stock.

On the Tier One, how wide is that U shaped opening that goes around the fore end of the stock at the top and bottom ? They don't give dimensions. This stock here is what is on the Rem. I just threw a tape measure on my stock. The bottom of that opening at it's narrowest just before the curve has to be 2 3/16" wide in order to fit around the forend of my stock.
I'm not sure but they have the actual measurement of everything they may listed and shown in a schematic. They make absolutely top of the line stuff.

Looks like 1.3" is the diameter of the part where the rifle sits but that's supposed be just for the barrel. On that stock you'd use a laser mount I think. They have a demo video with a very similar stock for the tactical bi-pod and replacing the 2 sling stuff with a pic rail and sling stud set up. The blaser attachment should work fine and go around your barrel. Just check the length of it so it will get out past the stock

No they don't have that dimension on the schematic, just length and height measurements. I don't think the pic rail attachment of that bipod extends far enough to clear the forend of the stock, and it looks like the BT rail that mounts where the sling studs go doesn't extend to the end of the stock either. So Tier One just may not be an option here.

I have been well pleased with my LRA bipods. I have the light tactical and the ultralight scout versions. Both of them have leg geometries that put the apex above the bore. They are the most stable ones I have ever shot off of.