• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bipod advice

Les-or-more

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2021
I am testing the waters so to speak and looking for information on what people like and don't like about their bipods. I would like to make an informed decision on purchasing a bipod for my MDT, ACC chassis.

i don't like rotating legs because on a smooth concrete bench they can "roll" forward even under slight pressure.
this is not an issue for dirt and grass so this might be something to consider if you shoot off smooth surfaces.

Reactions: Les-or-more
Aint nothing wrong with a good ol' Harris for $100. If you get an atlas, follow the above advice and get a CAL edition. MDT makes a $500 bipod that is pretty badass. You could also do something like a Phoenix bipod if it's just a bench gun.

Reactions: kennyg
the gen2 atlas does not roll
this is correct, and why i switched from a harris/larue that came with the rifle to an altas cal g2.
also the stickier rubber feet, and ability to swap them for spikes is another plus.
lastly being able to angle the legs forward or backward allows more function (shooting off a short bench or shelf for example).

Reactions: Ericbc7 and 47guy
Aint nothing wrong with a good ol' Harris for $100. If you get an atlas, follow the above advice and get a CAL edition. MDT makes a $500 bipod that is pretty badass. You could also do something like a Phoenix bipod if it's just a bench gun.
I bought it with the idea of trying my hand at PRS, right now it is a fancy paper weight, I guess one should consider market conditions when putting together a new rifle, there seems to be a drastic shortage of 300PRC ammunition!;)
Oh well I have something to look forward to, someday I might get to shoot it!:D Until then I can finish trimming it out with all the things I didn't know I needed, I am hoping to avoid doing it two or three times by getting the right accessories the first time. I like cheap, but recognize that you get what you pay for as well. I topped it with an Athlon Cronus btr from cameraland, next is the bipod. With any luck you guys can get me sorted on the that, thank you for the advice so far and to come.

I bought it with the idea of trying my hand at PRS, right now it is a fancy paper weight, I guess one should consider market conditions when putting together a new rifle, there seems to be a drastic shortage of 300PRC ammunition!;)
Oh well I have something to look forward to, someday I might get to shoot it!:D Until then I can finish trimming it out with all the things I didn't know I needed, I am hoping to avoid doing it two or three times by getting the right accessories the first time. I like cheap, but recognize that you get what you pay for as well. I topped it with an Athlon Cronus btr from cameraland, next is the bipod. With any luck you guys can get me sorted on the that, thank you for the advice so far and to come.
if you have a full length arca bottom rail on your chassis, you probably want an atlas cal g2 with a qd arca clamp so you can slide it wherever you want. this is going to give you as much flexibility you want without going to the next level in price. for example, pointing the legs back allows you to pull the rifle back against a barrier or wall, making it very stable.
this is jmo and i am nobody, but i am one of the poors that has to pour over every opinion on every option before deciding on something.
it took me months to pull the trigger on an rrs tripod, and i can shoot better groups off that than a bipod and bag.

No complaints about my MDT Ckye-pod. It ain't cheap but buy once cry once.

I wasn't far off in price to get a atlas with all the accessories I wanted. It was $50 more for the Ckye and it didn't need anything.

This thing goes out to 27" wide and is solid as hell.

Hi,

PRS as in the competition series???
If so you definitely got the wrong cartridge for that.

Sincerely,
Theis
The term you don't know what it is,that you don't know until someone who does know corrects you, fits here. I just found this site. Where were you a few months ago to set me straight?:)
I still need to find a bipod and finish this one, before we talk me into another. Right now I am just trying to see how much I enjoy shooting this one, I have 700 yards of open ground to shoot , I have to start somewhere.

No complaints about my MDT Ckye-pod. It ain't cheap but buy once cry once.

I wasn't far off in price to get a atlas with all the accessories I wanted. It was $50 more for the Ckye and it didn't need anything.

This thing goes out to 27" wide and is solid as hell.
lol, this is the "next level" in price i was referring to. push button slide and stuff.

The term you don't know what it is,that you don't know until someone who does know corrects you, fits here. I just found this site. Where were you a few months ago to set me straight?:)
I still need to find a bipod and finish this one, before we talk me into another. Right now I am just trying to see how much I enjoy shooting this one, I have 700 yards of open ground to shoot , I have to start somewhere.
one of the problems i have is that i didn't know anyone to ask for advice at first.
i had no intention of shooting long range because i live far from anywhere to shoot beyond 25 yards indoors, but a scar 20s accidentally came into my possession and i was lucky enough to find this place to tell me everything that is wrong with me and my choice of a .308 rifle. :p

I love my CALs.

I hated the Ckye-pod. Legs were too long. They were solid when loaded, but otherwise they flop all over the place.
It had a ton of adjustment but I could adjust, and adjust, and adjust, and no setting ever felt comfortable.
I did like the way the qd mount for the pic rail worked. Faster than the ADM ones, and didn’t require adjustment for pic rails that were different widths.

Reactions: 47guy and theLBC
Atlas CAL Gen 2 with the new RRS plate for it. It will go on pic rails and obviously Arca style plates. You won’t regret it.

Reactions: Halfnutz
I just ordered a CKYE Pod gen2 from MDT. It's an 8-12 week wait, and they charge your card right away, not when it ships. I hope I made the right decision. I ordered the left-handed, right knob, ARCA, standard length version. At $599.00 plus shipping it isn't cheap no matter how I mentally justify it.
I guess it goes right along with the Bartlein barrel that I ordered early last month that will be done some time in....?
Oh well, that matches the yet to be released Savage Impulse, long action, straight pull action I'm very interested in. Of course, I want one that takes the long 3.850 AICS magazines that they haven't even hinted they'll make, let alone MDT producing a chassis for it.

Put it all together, and I have the perfect nonexistent rifle to go with the bipod I'm unsure of that I don't have that I just paid for.

I just ordered a CKYE Pod gen2 from MDT. It's an 8-12 week wait, and they charge your card right away, not when it ships. I hope I made the right decision. I ordered the left-handed, right knob, ARCA, standard length version. At $599.00 plus shipping it isn't cheap no matter how I mentally justify it.
I guess it goes right along with the Bartlein barrel that I ordered early last month that will be done some time in....?
Oh well, that matches the yet to be released Savage Impulse, long action, straight pull action I'm very interested in. Of course, I want one that takes the long 3.850 AICS magazines that they haven't even hinted they'll make, let alone MDT producing a chassis for it.

Put it all together, and I have the perfect nonexistent rifle to go with the bipod I'm unsure of that I don't have that I just paid for.
at least with ammo prices these days, you're saving a few hundred bucks every time you don't go to the range to shoot the rifle you don't have yet.

Other then Atlas which pretty much everyone already said I like Accu tac. Basically the same features as the Atlas. I think the legs are more heavy duty on the Accu tac but have not had problems with either.
Harris also works if you want a $100 instead of a $250. Perfect for hunting.
One thing I would do is use the arca clamp. I switched over to it and I'm so glad I did

Reactions: gnochi and theLBC
What is the general consensus on the Warne skyline?
I have been looking at the CYKE pod, part of the reason for this thread.
I have already bought the wrong rifle chambered in the wrong caliber. I don't want to be a complete f-up, with the trifecta of the wrong bipod too.

at least with ammo prices these days, you're saving a few hundred bucks every time you don't go to the range to shoot the rifle you don't have yet.
Naw, even that doesn't work. I never shoot that rifle. I only shoot the rifle I do have, which is a 300 RUM and costs a fortune to shoot.

• Haha
Reactions: theLBC
Other then Atlas which pretty much everyone already said I like Accu tac. Basically the same features as the Atlas. I think the legs are more heavy duty on the Accu tac but have not had problems with either.
I am open to any suggestions, options are always good. I do not know of any place anywhere near me that even has a bipod let alone be able to compare different ones.

I am open to any suggestions, options are always good. I do not know of any place anywhere near me that even has a bipod let alone be able to compare different ones.
if you wanted a big beefy bipod for a magnum caliber rifle i would also recommend an accu-tac. they are also made here in the usa.
they are anything but floppy.

lol, this is the "next level" in price i was referring to. push button slide and stuff.
To be fair I found mine for a couple hundred off the retail price.

I figured if I'm already spending 250-300 on a S Cal, 70-100 for a arca mount I'm already close to 400 so just get what I really want. So just get the one I want.

maybe it'll be helpful so i will try to save you some money by showing you some differences.
my scar 20s came in a package deal from FN, with a harris/larue bipod (larue qd mount).

as noted, the harris legs rotate so this was an issue for me on a concrete bench because the bipod would creep forward if i put any pressure on it.
on grass or dirt it worked fine but most of my early shooting was from a big concrete shooting bench.
so option 2 i choose a big beefy accu-tac sr-5 g2 bipod and this was better in every way.
while it was taller than i needed (they make a shorter one), i could angle the legs so it was almost as low as the harris.
M6Lj1jd.jpg

of course it was much wider and so much more stable as well. there is very little wiggle in this bipod, and the big rubber feet are sticky compared to the harder plastic feet on the harris.
nvmmntn.jpg

the reason i now have the atlas cal is that a new range opened up in the spring (during covid) that was closer and not busy.
instead of the big concrete shooting benches, they have one long wooden bench covered in carpet and they are not as long or deep so i have to move my sr-5 back on the rail, changing the pivot point backward and more angular muzzle deflection for any movement on my end.

this gave me an excuse to try the smaller atlas cal (with spikes) and see if i like it. so far i have no complaints.
there is more "play" in the legs, but this allows the rifle to rock forward when you "load" it, and rock straight back without the feet moving.
while i don't have as much time with it, this works well with the firm hold i use to control the gas gun recoil so i can stay on target.

I ran Harris before, had my rifle collapse the legs 4 times either the extension or I'd barely adjust and they would fold up.

Dropping a 26lb rifle is what pushed me over the edge. Luckily I caught it before the barrel slapped the bench edge.

I do think the CKYE Pod gen2 is the best choice for my MDT ACC chassis, otherwise I wouldn't have sprung for its eye watering price. Of course, it's out if you need it immediately or if you have more brains than money. It appears to be the cleanest solution, and from what I can glean, it has some significant improvements over the previous version, and if it doesn't it'll be pretty easy to unload at an equally significant loss.

It isn't faultless, what is? It can't point the legs 90 degrees past vertical rearward unless you rotate the head 180 degrees, which I guarantee I'll find I'll have to do constantly.

maybe it was a fake harris. these were not malfunctions i experienced, and it takes significant force to deploy the legs.
that said, i have seen people run them so the legs fold back instead of forward for some reason.

maybe it was a fake harris. these were not malfunctions i experienced, and it takes significant force to deploy the legs.
that said, i have seen people run them so the legs fold back instead of forward for some reason.
I'd run mine so they fold forward like God intended, but it would fold up if I would slightly pull the rifle back into my shoulder.

May be rare but the first time I started hunting for something with locking legs

Reactions: theLBC
I'd run mine so they fold forward like God intended, but it would fold up if I would slightly pull the rifle back into my shoulder.
yeah, that is a defect or a fake.

Besides it taking me a few weeks to really get used to my ckye pod and all the play in it . I have no complaints about it or it's functions , I loved my atlas bipods but have grown to love the ckye pod just as much it follows me where ever I bring that gun and even use it on my 22lr on wood tables its great not so great on metal the claws just can't dig in and grip not that the rubber atlas feet did any better but where there is a will there is a way to make almost anything work the way you want it to . Good luck to you and what ever brand you decide to go with .

Besides it taking me a few weeks to really get used to my ckye pod and all the play in it . I have no complaints about it or it's functions , I loved my atlas bipods but have grown to love the ckye pod just as much it follows me where ever I bring that gun and even use it on my 22lr on wood tables its great not so great on metal the claws just can't dig in and grip not that the rubber atlas feet did any better but where there is a will there is a way to make almost anything work the way you want it to . Good luck to you and what ever brand you decide to go with .
I'd like to hear from any who have the CKYE gen2. It appeared, just appeared that in the videos they had removed a lot of the play.

How does the CKYE compare to the Accu-Tak in size? Not leg length but diameter, sheer mass. It looks like they weigh about the same.

I'd like to hear from any who have the CKYE gen2. It appeared, just appeared that in the videos they had removed a lot of the play.

How does the CKYE compare to the Accu-Tak in size? Not leg length but diameter, sheer mass. It looks like they weigh about the same.
I have a 1.5 it's got a little play but it's not bad at all. Don't know if they did any of the leg upgrades on these

I don’t like my atlas anymore than my Harris. Take what people say with a grain of salt as the guy above who trashes Harris also seem to think that a savage is good so...
What is your favorite?
Why do you like it?
We all have our preferences for one reason or another. I have no problem with that, I mean its like hating on a guy for driving a chevy.
I cant tell if my savage is good or not I haven't shot it yet.

What is your favorite?
Why do you like it?
We all have our preferences for one reason or another. I have no problem with that, I mean its like hating on a guy for driving a chevy.
I cant tell if my savage is good or not I haven't shot it yet.
I really don’t have a favorite.

I like the soft rubber of the atlas feet that never spin. I don’t like that I can’t completely lock out the can’t and I hate the pull down on the leg adjustment thing for going both up and down.

I like the quick flip deployment of the Harris legs and spring loaded shoot out legs with the push of a button. I swapped the plastic feet out with metal spikes so they don’t spin anymore.

Also, your savage will be fine, I was just being an ass. Like you said, it’s a Chevy Ford thing, the grass is always greener on the other side.
As such I take two rifles out with me and I have an atlas on one and a Harris on the other and it really doesn’t matter. I don’t miss because of it.

Last edited:
I really don’t have a favorite.

I like the soft rubber of the atlas feet that never spin. I don’t like that I can’t completely lock out the can’t and I hate the pull down on the leg adjustment thing for going both up and down.

I like the quick flip deployment of the Harris legs and spring loaded shoot out legs with the push of a button. I swapped the plastic feet out with metal spikes so they don’t spin anymore.

Also, your savage will be fine, I was just being an ass. Like you said, it’s a Chevy Ford thing, the grass is always greener on the other side.
As such I take two rifles out with me and I have an atlas on one and a Harris on the other and it really doesn’t matter. I don’t miss because of it.
What you want is a TBAC Bipod then.

Atlas BT65-LW17 Gen 2 CAL (no ARCA rails for me yet, but the Pic adapter has been great)

What I like:
- Solid (haven't tried anything other than a knockoff Harris tho, so can't speak to other options)
- Swappable feet (have the standard rubbers and the spikes, love them both depending on the surface)
- 45-degree angle adjustments
- Pod-Loc cant tensioner is great, and you can pull the lever out to adjust where it rests at your desired tension

What I don't like:
- Both the leg angle and leg length adjustments are slow, especially shortening the legs. I dunno, maybe I just suck at it, but it is definitely not easy to do from the rear of the rifle.
- Price, but hey, nobody comes to this game to not spend money, amirite?
- I tried to come up with a third dislike and couldn't

Ultimately, really happy with this bipod, spike feet are great for shooting on soft surfaces (or really hard ones, for practicing firing hand grip), and the rubber feet are great all-purpose. The thing is solid, leg angle lockup is crisp, I just wish it were smoother to deploy and adjust angle/height on the fly.

Probably should have done some basic research about what cartridges are best suited to precision rifle competitions. No need to even ask. There's probably two dozen threads about "what cartridge for PRS?" here

A 30 cal magnum, of any sort, isn't it.

It's one thing to go try a match with one if that's all you have in an otherwise suitable rifle. It's a completely different thing to burn a bunch of money on a rifle that isn't even close to the ideal.

I am a simple guy, you are going to have to provide some video on how the bipod is deployed in this situation.
Do the legs fold vertically and rest on the ceiling?