• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Choice

Bear24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2012
Oklahoma
I am wanting to get a bipod for my FN SPR A1 24" barrel. I use this gun for mostly target shooting bench and prone but after I get some more time behind the rifle I would like to enter a few tactical comps with it.

I need to decide on a bipod for the rig and trying to get a feel for what most people are using for similar setups. My 3 choices are:

Sinclair Tactical
sinclair_zps74dbe992.jpg

I posted the pic so it is not confused with one of their huge F class bipods.

Atlas or Harris S with pod lock

Re: Bipod Choice

If anyone has first hand ex with the sinclair I would like to hear about it.

I have 2 Harris and had an Atlas. I like both but I find the Harris to be easier to deploy. Don't get me wrong, the Atlas is bad ass as you can position the legs in multiple angles unlike the Harris. I just didn't like the mechanism to extend the legs on the Atlas. Was it a long and painful process...not at all. Complaining about the length of time it takes is like reading about a 200 lb man saying something is better because it's 1 oz lighter. I have an "S" model Harris and a non-s model and the non sucks because of one of the legs is uneven well then now you're not shooting straight, I have this problem with mine. I'll probably get another Atlas in the future but my Harris "S" model works perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harris "S" model works perfectly.</div></div>It's cheaper, too.

The Atlas is very nice, and if you have a five thousand dollar rifle you probably need one for it, but the Harris is easier to deploy and to fold quickly.

I use the Harris S models because they are priced right and do everything I need from a bipod. Legs deploy quickly, has good height ranges between my BRM and LM heights, I like the notched leg versions as well so I can easily adjust height with one hand.

The newer Atlas bipods are simpler and quicker to deploy than the earlier models.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

I went back to Harris after using the Atlas for a while. I did not like the extra movement of the ball and socket. It made my follow-up shots slower trying to get back on target. I am a left-handed shooter using standard bolt actions.

I use the Harris ones. I've never had any problems with them. One thing that I like to do is take the legs off and rotate the leg extension buttons around to the other notch on the leg (each leg has two notches, the one it's in plus another one). This allows you to load into barricades, walls, etc. without your bipod legs extending because you loaded into the button that deploys them. They're also easier to reach from behind the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt:Lumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The newer Atlas bipods are simpler and quicker to deploy than the earlier models.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq</div></div>

How "newer"???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwsenoj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt:Lumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The newer Atlas bipods are simpler and quicker to deploy than the earlier models.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq</div></div>

How "newer"??? </div></div>

I'm not sure WHEN they changed. But the current models are quick leg deploy, one handed style. All the Atlas models I typically see in web vendor's pages are the newer style.

äSgt Lumpy - n0eq

I've used the Harris bipods since the early 1980's, maybe late 70's. They will RUST and too much dirt and they seize up. I have sent TWO back over the years. Both were fixed for minimal out of pocket.

Bought an ATLAS a year back or so. Use it mostly on AR's but lately have been using it on an M1A. NO Idea what the fuss is regarding the ATLAS being harder/tougher or slower to get into action. It is what it is. Push the button, swing the leg where you want it.
All I'm using it for is shooting varmints or off the bench...not getting shot at by Taliban.

I really like the ATLAS. they are expensive , but what quality item isn't?

Recently got one of the Sinclairs for a friend to use for an upcoming LR Rifle course. I've been playing with it and after some use...REALLY like it. Shot it off the bench this morning and if it's less accurate than my Sinclair rest and rear bag....I'm not noticing it.
I still use the rest and bag. But for a quick session off the bench or prone...especially if you nee to be LOW...The Sinclair is tough to beat.

Atlas or Sinclair....I'm tempted to get BOTH. Probably ask for the Sinclair for a birthday or Christmas gift.

FN in MT

I have the Sinclair and have been quite happy with it. It is heavy and takes a little getting used to, but it is versatile and stable. It took a little while for me to learn to deploy it without pulling the legs off. The legs are detachable, so I had to practice with it a bit to figure out how to unfold it without having one of them come detached. Now that I've used it for a while, I'm happy with it and would recommend it.

I love the atlas on my M2008 but I also use and love my harris bipods. I see the harris to be quicker to deploy but the atlas is a little more versatile. In my personal opinion I prefer the way the atlas loads over the harris as it has a little fore/aft play and so when you lean into it you feel it positively load.

I have both the Harris and Atlas bipods. If I had to choose one it would be the Atlas because of the versatility. That said, both get job done just fine.

Hardmix

The newer Atlas bipods are simpler and quicker to deploy than the earlier models.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

You have it backwards. The V7 was easier and quicker to deploy than the V8 in my opinion. The V7 wouldn't stay locked when it got a little wear so it was changed to the V8 which is much stronger.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

I have always had or used the Harris S models with notched legs, and love them. I have a Sinclair like pictured above. It is strong, and stable, and has more options for leg positions. I however find the adjustments to be positioned wrong. Even with long arms i have to get out of position to readjust the bipod. It would be much better if the adjust functions were on the back of the bipod so that it could be adjusted while in position. It is a stable bipod to shoot from. I find the weight more that I am willing to carry very far and use the harris bipods more.

The Sinclair's is built like a jack stand.. And more adjustment then the atlas..

THat said, the Harris 9x12 notched swivel is hard to beat...

Good to know stuff here

loving it
Im on the hunt also...And cant make up my mind!

Had the Atlas V8 and sold it. Didn't like the slop in the bipod but having said that I wasn't very good at shooting off a bipod then anyway. Have the Long Range Accuracy quick detach. It's a great bipod, to deploy is not as fast as a Harris but once you're behind it you're golden. I may play with a Harris just to see what the fuss is about b

I have two Atlas' and two Harris' and prefer the Atlas any day of the week. Loading feels more solid and with the spikes it's great were I shoot.

What model Atlas are you running Diver??
If Im gonna do one ,,,It needs to be the One!..lol

I have many I use the artic warfare or us terms parker hale .I also use Harris and GG&G or BoBro. It just depends how heavy the rifle I am using at the time and then make my pick. Harris is great for plinking and hunting but would not use on ops.

I use 2 different GG&G's. One on a 16lb custom RUM and one on a Grendel gasser. Very high quality. Will buy another.

Have always used the Harris 6-9" with the leg notches....never had a problem with them. Was a hard decision to move over to the Atlas, exclusively due to price. Though, I finally broke down and bought one....the leg extensions is what sold me. There's been several times in the field that I've needed a taller or shorter bipod and being able to quickly make that change without having to lug around shooting sticks or another bipod helped make up my mind.

Either one will suit your needs....just figure out what your needs are first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harris "S" model works perfectly.</div></div>It's cheaper, too.

The Atlas is very nice, and if you have a five thousand dollar rifle you probably need one for it, but the Harris is easier to deploy and to fold quickly.

I agree, either Atlas or Harris, IMO.

Have both and like both for different reasons, but overall prefer the Harris swivel/notch with pod-lock.
I learned the trick of tying some P-Cord to connect the Harris legs for the quick one-hand delpoy from watching some great shooters in a PRS match.

Harris 9-13 swivel. Quality, price and availability.

I have a nifty lever installed to replace the standard not-so-nifty knurled knob.

Tilt adjustment is so easy even I can manage it.

Attachments

• HBP.jpg
    HBP.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 26