• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Features Explained

Bro Mo

Open-minded Skeptic
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Being new to precision shooting, I suffer from not knowing what I don't know about bipods. I've read a bunch of threads but they often contain recommendations for brands/models but I would like to know more about the WHY for any of these. What are the benefits of different bipod features? $3-600 is significant and not getting something that will be what I need as I develop is a concern. After looking at different bipods I have noticed a few feature differences between them and am curious what features effect different aspects of your shooting.
  1. Manufacturing quality (precision in tolerances)
  2. Material (some have more/less flex than others)
  3. Apex (some are above the bore, some below)
  4. Pan/Cant (pan for moving targets?)
  5. Single handed operation (some require two hands to deploy or extend legs, etc.)
  6. Interchangeable feet
  7. Leg extensions available (also, some are toolless)
  8. Legs forward of the mounting point
  9. Multiple leg positions
  10. other (again, I don't know what I don't know)
I feel that some of the features help with precision and others help with convenience. I suppose both are a matter of helping to get a round on target in different ways. Please provide some insight into how these features enable rounds on targets. I appreciate the help, thank you.

like almost everything firearms related...

this is almost all subject to what you intend to do with the rifle

Quality is quality, and will directly impact the longevity of your purchase, but beyond that features are very subjective

my personal preferences:

Bolt guns is a Harris SBRM 6-9' with an Arca adapter & pod lock... it's good quality, stable, swivels for uneven terrain, can be quickly deployed, is relatively low profile and w/ the Arca can be popped off in a second... and has a ton of aftermarket support

ARs, the same set up in 9-13"

Reactions: Rob01
If you're looking at $300+ bipods then it's safe to assume that you're talking about Atlas and up. At that price point it's hard to go wrong, you simply need to figure out which strengths and features are most important to you and zero in on one from there. Some have features you may want like the ability to pan and others don't, personally I have never needed the feature and I have seen rifles fall over because of it. I'll touch base on some of your bullet points.

1) At this level they are all very well made.
2) Atlas has more inherent flex in the legs than TBAC and Accu Tac simply by leg design.
3) The Atlas 5H, Elite Iron and Accu Tac bipods offer this feature, it lowers the bore and increases stability.
4) Make sure you get one with a lever to adjust for cant, pan feature is a personal decision.
5) Being able to deploy the legs easily with one hand is important IMHO.
6) They all have interchangeable feet, some are much easier than others to swap.
7) Leg extensions are nice to have but rarely have I ever needed them, those who compete and hunt with theirs might find this more necessary.
8) Like the apex feature, this pushes the bipod even further out increasing stability and leverage and depending on design can further lower the bore as well.
9) As long as it has a 45 degree setting I think that's all that one needs, being able to easily and quickly adjust the leg positions is better on some than others.

Taking all of that into consideration I ended up with the TBAC bipod as it met all of my needs more so than any other option out there. The tool-less leg/feet swaps is nifty and you can deploy the bipod simply by sweeping down on the legs. I am very happy with my decision but I am sure that I could be just as happy with an Accu Tac or Atlas 5H as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bro Mo
Go play with a bunch of them and find out what’s REALLY important to you.
My cheap favorite bipod-magpul
My momma bear bipod-atlas CAL or SCAL
My big daddy bipod-Elite iron revolution.
I ran a Harris for a decade before I got those.

Not going thru all of the features that you mention, but I will say that I would stay away from the panning feature that is offered on many. Having used many including GGG, TBAC, Atlas, Harris, and Accu-Tac, I found that Accu-Tac was the most robust. I absolutely love the cant feature on their various models. Shooting up to 338LM, the bubble level stays put shot after shot, even with the legs set at 45 degree. Can't say that about the others. Good luck on getting your hands on one though.

In one sense, it's going to take personal experience to learn what works for you, in which situations / scenarios. Competition, or honest practice for competition (shot timer and every form of prop you can think of), is a hard teacher. Now, if you don't intend to compete, "pick a 'pod" and be happy, because all it has to do is hold the front of the rifle up and you have all the time in the world to make it work (well, a cheap, floppy bipod will hold the rifle up, barely....).

Competition, on the clock, is a different beast. For example, a Harris with a Pod-Loc ("mandatory upgrade!!") and an RRS or similar ARCA/pic adapter (also near-mandatory) has two advantages over Atlas in some scenarios: first, the legs "slap" down or up while the Atlas requires relatively time-consuming disengagement of locks on both legs; second, there are some props on which the narrower footprint of the Harris is quite advantageous. On the other hand, the Atlas's locking legs preclude the possibility of folding the legs when you don't intend to....

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd take my BT65NC/RRS-adapter'ed Atlas over the Pod-Loc'ed/ARCA-adapter'ed Harris, but I'm glad to have both.

1. There's more to quality than "tolerances"
  2. End users don't have access to the information and tools needed to quantify manufacturing quality
  3. Even if end users did have access to the information and tools needed to judge quality, most don't have the knowledge to understand what they're seeing

I will say that I would stay away from the panning feature
Why?

I hear this shit repeated ad nauseum as if it were gospel truth but no one has been able to explain why having the ability to pan is a problem.

Go play with a bunch of them and find out what’s REALLY important to you.
That presents a problem for some of us, there is no where to play with them without buying several thousand dollars worth of equipment. I haven't found a shop anywhere near me that stocks anything beyond a basic Harris if that. Their knowledge of bipods is as limited as mine and the reason I started a thread similar to this one a month or so ago. I got a lot of good feedback and suggestions but it is still difficult to determine what is best for each one of us sans buying them all and stuffing the ones you don't like in a closet.

That presents a problem for some of us, there is no where to play with them without buying several thousand dollars worth of equipment. I haven't found a shop anywhere near me that stocks anything beyond a basic Harris if that. Their knowledge of bipods is as limited as mine and the reason I started a thread similar to this one a month or so ago. I got a lot of good feedback and suggestions but it is still difficult to determine what is best for each one of us sans buying them all and stuffing the ones you don't like in a closet.
Just trying a few can tell you a lot about the features you feel you want

If you like the style of the harris, but want better, the TBAC improves in about every way. Its made with better materials, has the option to fold 45 degrees, legs are spring loaded and will snap down even if they are already partly down(something the harris only does if the legs are fully collapsed).

Reactions: tex68w
I’ve never found a reason why the ability to pan and flop over in every axis is a benefit.
My cheap magpul with the pan is actually pretty cool. Shooting steel i dont have to completely reset to shoot something right or left of my last shot. I didnt know of i would like it, but i do.

Damn! Forgot my bag of peanuts.

this is almost all subject to what you intend to do with the rifle
Mostly static range shooting to learn the craft. Maybe try a competition at some point but I'm not concerned with having competition solutions at the expense of the former.
In one sense, it's going to take personal experience to learn what works for you, in which situations / scenarios.
Do you have an example of a scenario that some feature was good/bad or could have made something better/worse?

I keep hearing on the podcasts about Harris being an issue at these courses and trying to better understand what capabilities are unlocked with something different. Perhaps it's new positions, different obstacles, smaller groups, etc.

buy american. atlas or accu-tac or even harris. if you needed something fancier, you wouldn't be asking.
  1. Material (some have more/less flex than others)
see above. if you want really solid for a magnum caliber or heavy rifle, i like accu-tac. atlas cal is what i currently use.
if you can't afford either, get a basic harris, but can you even afford ammo?
  1. Apex (some are above the bore, some below)
mostly not really a big deal, unless you are the type that tips over shit a lot.
if you have the money, want the most stable platform and don't care about size, why not get a wide bipod? it is about how you use it.
  1. Pan/Cant (pan for moving targets?)
every good bipod has cant, but you want a lever so it isn't a pain to tighten it down.
pan is not always needed, and can be contrary to the basics of precision shooting (being square to the target).
that said, hunting and some kinds of competition require some panning, so again it comes down to usage.
  1. Single handed operation (some require two hands to deploy or extend legs, etc.)
don't be a pussy. they all work fine but if you are old or disabled, the accu-tac is most difficult to deploy, but easiest to adjust.
  1. Interchangeable feet
this is important imo, if you are shooting from different surfaces. slipping bipod sucks.
on a related topic, rotating legs or feet also suck. avoid them. a harris bipod will roll forward in certain surfaces,
  1. Leg extensions available (also, some are toolless)
most people don't need them unless hunting, but you would know that if you hunted over grass....
  1. Legs forward of the mounting point
being able to adjust at different angles gives you the most options for a stable position.
for example, pointing them backward allows a 3 point platform on a short shelf
  1. Multiple leg positions
see above
  1. other (again, I don't know what I don't know)
/i have all 3 brands recommended.

Last edited:
I’ve never found a reason why the ability to pan and flop over in every axis is a benefit.

Mine don't flop over because I don't loosen the tension knob all the way unless I have to, you know, pan......

So maybe learn to use the controls on your bipod, or buy a better one.

Reactions: theLBC
Why?

I hear this shit repeated ad nauseum as if it were gospel truth but no one has been able to explain why having the ability to pan is a problem.
it isn't a problem and is a good feature when needed like hunting or maybe shooting movers.
but if you want to be square to the target and lined up perfectly, not really a feature you would need.

if your bipod is always resting on a level surface, there is no need for cant.
that won't work for me but might for you and hot melt glue is an option. :p

Mostly static range shooting to learn the craft. Maybe try a competition at some point but I'm not concerned with having competition solutions at the expense of the former.

Do you have an example of a scenario that some feature was good/bad or could have made something better/worse?

I keep hearing on the podcasts about Harris being an issue at these courses and trying to better understand what capabilities are unlocked with something different. Perhaps it's new positions, different obstacles, smaller groups, etc.
For static range shooting, the wider stance of the Atlas will usually be more stable than the Harris.

Simple example of where Harris-style folding legs is useful: going from the roof of a car (bipod + rear bag) to shooting through the car's windows (fold legs while moving, bag on sill), then back to the trunk (bipod + bag again) - just slap the legs and they're folded/unfolded.

The narrow Harris footprint worked for me when a picnic table was the prop - table is parallel to line of fire, on start, move to left seat of the table, 2 rounds, move to top of table, 2 rounds, right seat for 2, back to top for 2, finish on left seat for 2. I was able to use the narrow footprint of the Harris on the seats for a rear bag/bipod position; wider Atlas would have hung off the sides.

There are many threads here where people dump on the Harris and others defend it. The Harris is capable if it's modified correctly: the 6-9" HBRMS bipod ($107, I got mine used at LGS for half that) with KMW Pod-Loc ($24) and RRS HC-Pro ARCA/Pic adapter ($90) is solid and dependable and totals out nearly $100 less than the Atlas. The HBRMS has notched legs which I found preferable to the HBRS smooth-leg variant. But...

For what you're describing, if you have the budget, go for the Atlas. I chose the BT65-NC (No Clamp) Atlas ($240) and outfitted it with an RRS BTC-Pro ARCA/pic adapter ($70).

For where you're at now, either one will work fine. If you want to wade into internet drama, search for Harris/Atlas/other threads. I have no experience with the more expensive TBAC, MDT Ckye, etc. However, it's pretty safe to say that the $29.95 Harris knockoffs will break pdq under match conditions and won't be very solid in any event.

Last edited:
If you don't know any better and just starting then buy the Harris and Pod Loc mentioned in the first response and go shoot. If and when you think you will need to upgrade then you can sell it for about 80% what you paid for it. Spending hundreds of dollars on a tool that's main job is to hold your rifle 6-10" off the ground won't make you shoot better. Money is better spent on ammo and practice.

it isn't a problem and is a good feature when needed like hunting or maybe shooting movers.
but if you want to be square to the target and lined up perfectly, not really a feature you would need.

The line between the bipod's feet doesn't need to be square to the target. The line between your shoulders does. I can do the latter without the former.

The line between the bipod's feet doesn't need to be square to the target. The line between your shoulders does. I can do the latter without the former.
true, but if you are panning 30 degrees you either have to move your body or you aren't square anymore.

true, but if you are panning 30 degrees you either have to move your body or you aren't square anymore.
I always move my body. But since the rifle pivots I'm not fighting the bipod.

That's what the anti-pan idiots don't seem to realize.

Look, i don't care that much. Like most everything, I try it myself instead of blindly believing what I read on the internet.

Don't forget the archaic practice of using a sling, or your pack as a rest.
Take time to check out a friend's set-up.
Lots of variants out there.
Good ole Harris bipod is a place to start.

I always move my body. But since the rifle pivots I'm not fighting the bipod.

That's what the anti-pan idiots don't seem to realize.

Look, i don't care that much. Like most everything, I try it myself instead of blindly believing what I read on the internet.
fair enough. i just figured i'd move the bipod if i had to move my whole body anyway, but i can also see how if you are shooting out your from a bench inside your loading room or basement, with your bipod feet against the sill (or other situations) this would be useful.
again, you have not heard me say they are bad, just that not everyone needs that feature. i have a bipod that pans for my 10/22.

Looking at the different attachment options between picatinny and arca, what are some experiences I should be aware of to influence which direction to go?

Looking at the different attachment options between picatinny and arca, what are some experiences I should be aware of to influence which direction to go?

If you are going to use anything but the sling stud then go arca.

If you are going to use anything but the sling stud then go arca.
Im new to this as well, I have a couple cheap stud mount bipods that mostly suck and one that mounts to a picatinny rail that is much more stable and I like better. Easier to swap quickly as well. Looking at the arca it seems more difficult but Ive never even seen one only on the internet. Problem is none of my bolt guns have pic rails where I want to mount the bipod, just the AR's. Is there an adaptor that will allow me to do that, either mounted over the studs or remove them and replace them with the rail. I cont care so much about having a swing. Please answer as a 'reply' so Ill get notified and not lose this thread.

KAC makes a very good stud mounted bipod adapter.

Im new to this as well, I have a couple cheap stud mount bipods that mostly suck and one that mounts to a picatinny rail that is much more stable and I like better. Easier to swap quickly as well. Looking at the arca it seems more difficult but Ive never even seen one only on the internet. Problem is none of my bolt guns have pic rails where I want to mount the bipod, just the AR's. Is there an adaptor that will allow me to do that, either mounted over the studs or remove them and replace them with the rail. I cont care so much about having a swing. Please answer as a 'reply' so Ill get notified and not lose this thread.
There are TONS of them of all different sorts. Google it.

ARCA gives you the ability to quickly loosen/tighten and slide the bipod back and forth along its length. Here's a photo of my rifle in an MDT ACC chassis, which has the rail machined into its entire fore end length. Other chassis or stocks can have ARCA rails mounted via M-Lok or other attachment mechanisms.

The slotted picatinney rails are usually short and provide secure mounting in more limited positions.

Note how far back the Atlas bipod is placed on the ACC's rail. Behind it is a GrayOps "gamer plate" which increases stability atop bags and such.
IMG_2902.jpeg

KAC makes a very good stud mounted bipod adapter.
Im looking for exactly the opposite, a pic rail that will mount over the existing pair of stud swivels ( or remove them and use screws to to mount a rail in their place)allowing me to mount a bipod onto the rail

Reactions: tex68w
If you have an unlimited budget, go big...see Thunderbeast Arms and the Ckye Pod. A friend of mine just obtained one of the Ckye Pods. He said he likes it. Admittedly, I have no clue what it does different than my Atlas, but I digress...

If budget is a concern, and you still don't know if you want to be a precision rifleman, grab a Harris and a KMW Pod-Loc (gotta support Terry!) I have never missed a shot and thought, "well fuck, if I would have just spent another 400.00 on my bipod, I would've had it." Harris is basically the standard; it's what all of the cheap, Chinese-made shit is based on (obviously doesn't come close, but it's what they copy). Make sure to get the model that has the leg notches and tilting (canting) feature. Should be around 100-125.00.

Reactions: Bro Mo and Rob01
Im looking for exactly the opposite, a pic rail that will mount over the existing pair of stud swivels ( or remove them and use screws to to mount a rail in their place)allowing me to mount a bipod onto the rail
Seekins Precision makes those but if you have studs and a Harris then just attach it to that. Have done it for many years like that and works just fine. If the stud mounted bipods you have suck then get a Harris.

Reactions: Maggot

Like this? I have used them and they work.

1617506437217.png

Budget: Harris “HBRMS” w/ PodLock and ADM pic mount

Better/Best Option: Atlas CAL w/ the new RRS SOAR ARMS mount

I have seen that one but it looked really small. I found this one that looks a bit more secure.

Pic Rail Adaptor Plate | Caldwell​

https://www.caldwellshooting.com › Rests

The Caldwell® Pic Rail Adapter is perfect for utilizing both your shoulder sling and a pic rail mounted accessory at the same time. By adjusting the tension on the front and rear T20 screws you can change the vertical angle of the Pic Rail Adapter to align with the barrel instead of the stock.

Reactions: Bandit320
Might have to search around for one at vendors but here is the Seekins. What type of bipod you attaching?

Might have to search around for one at vendors but here is the Seekins. What type of bipod you attaching?

I saw that one as well and will be looking for one, though it seems on back order. It looks like the best choice as it actually uses both stud swivel holes, should be really secure.

Not sure as to the make of this bipod, I dont remember where or when I got it but it locks up tight and is simple to use.

Thanks Super Mod. ;)

Attachments

• Bipod.jpg
    Bipod.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 67
Here are some in stock but it is Optics Planet LOL just check your hole spacing.

I saw that one as well and will be looking for one, though it seems on back order. It looks like the best choice as it actually uses both stud swivel holes, should be really secure.

Not sure as to the make of this bipod, I dont remember where or when I got it but it locks up tight and is simple to use.

Thanks Super Mod. ;)
That looks like a GG&G bipod, I’ve had one for years and they do lock up tight with minimal “flex” even with the legs at 45 degrees .....it’s a good bang for your buck option (my opinion)

I have the B&T rail on 4 rifles and they’re great, but the Area 419 option looks really nice as well