• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod help for newb

Mikenbiken

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2021
Irvine, CA
I just built a Rem 700 5R (300 win mag) in a MDT TAC21 chassis. I currently have a Harris S-BRM bipod on it (got it free with another rifle). Shot the rifle for the first time over the weekend, and the bipod is not nearly stable enough. It's not too bad when shooting it, but the weight of the scope and rifle at rest makes it VERY tipsy. It was constantly wanting to fall over at rest on the bench. I have the cant tightened down as much as possible, and the weight of the gun makes it cant on the bipod and then want to tip over to that side. The Harris bipod is 6-9 inches of height which seems fine shooting on a bench, but it just seems like the gun sits to high above the small tripod. I saw on the Atlas website, that they make a few tripods with the legs wider apart and the gun sits more inside the tripod, which looks like the way to go. The only problem is, they are $400-$500. Hoping to not have to spend that much money. So, being a total newb to long range shooting/rifles, I'm hoping this is a common complaint with an easy/cheap fix? Thanks in advance for any help.

2F8EF38A-1EE7-4B7B-A1F5-4445C18AFD91.png

Reactions: Mikenbiken
Frank Galli specifically recommends the Atlas Cal without pan. Or thunder beast but that’s more $$$

What is your budget?
I guess I don't really have a budget yet. If there is a compelling reason to spend thousands, I would probably do it. Never been particularly shy about spending money :). I'm just thinking for what a bipod does, I probably want to be in the $100-$250 range. Unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

I just built a Rem 700 5R (300 win mag) in a MDT TAC21 chassis. I currently have a Harris S-BRM bipod on it (got it free with another rifle). Shot the rifle for the first time over the weekend, and the bipod is not nearly stable enough. It's not too bad when shooting it, but the weight of the scope and rifle at rest makes it VERY tipsy. It was constantly wanting to fall over at rest on the bench. I have the cant tightened down as much as possible, and the weight of the gun makes it cant on the bipod and then want to tip over to that side. The Harris bipod is 6-9 inches of height which seems fine shooting on a bench, but it just seems like the gun sits to high above the small tripod. I saw on the Atlas website, that they make a few tripods with the legs wider apart and the gun sits more inside the tripod, which looks like the way to go. The only problem is, they are $400-$500. Hoping to not have to spend that much money. So, being a total newb to long range shooting/rifles, I'm hoping this is a common complaint with an easy/cheap fix? Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have a lever on the adjusting nut or just did it with fingers/pliers? If not is a cheap fix until you move up to a different bipod.

Do you have a lever on the adjusting nut or just did it with fingers/pliers? If not is a cheap fix until you move up to a different bipod.

I just did it finger tight. I may grab one of those levers for now. I will eventually get a wider base bipod, but that'll work until then. Thanks!

Reactions: CK1.0 and 6.5SH
Like everyone else said: Atlas Cal Gen 2. Sounds expensive until you figure out fully upgrading your Harris will end up costing more and doing less (ask me how I know lol).

That said, if your rifle is tipping that easily, it sounds like you don't have a KMW Pod-Loc on your HBRMS or any ratchet lever like mentioned above (which is pretty much a necessity)..? They're ~$20 for a legit Pod-Loc and IMHO a HBRMS is nearly useless without one. You don't have it "as tight as possible" if you're using the Harris' crappy knob, Pod-Loc fixes that, I'm sure the $7 jobber gets it done too.

Atlas cal and be done with it. It’s a quality piece of gear. If you are used to using cheap bipods it will be very apparent why this is worth $250 the first time you mount it on the gun, feel how rock solid it is, then shoot off of it