• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Hop Improvement

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
I wanted to share my findings since I know this is a big issue with a lot of shooters. I'm not sure if everyone will get the same results, I'm just sharing what happened to me.

Last week I shortened my LOP a bit. This forced me to move my scope forward on the base so I could get good eye relief.
What I found when I went to the range was that I was able to stay on target better.

Shortening the LOP brings the whole system a bit closer to the body. Your arms are bent a bit more bent and closer to the body. In my case it seemed to help with running the gun and staying on target a bit better.

Hope this helps you guys.

R.

Re: Bipod Hop Improvement

I have found, through much trial and error and practicing what is taught in the online training, that squaring your shoulders to the gun and completely relaxing my shoulders was the key for me.

I recently aquired an Atlas bipod and found that that made a big difference for me over a Harris bipod as far as staying on target after each shot. Also, squaring shoulders and being straight behind the rifle really helped too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just shoot with good square form and load the bipod and you should be good to go. </div></div>

I do, well I think I do. I even shoot with a buddy whom we've trained together at RO with and I trust him in critiquing my shooting and body position.

While I agree all the above comments are very valid, there is a certain % of the equation that calls for proper gear setup, and that's what I think I found. A slight tweek that helped the other fall better in place.

Here is a quote from Lowlight on the topic of LOP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I generally advocate your LOP being 1/2" shorter than the measured distance from the crook of your arm to the trigger. That should be with the stock in the crook of your arm with your grip and finger in place. Don't just extend it there and hold the finger straight and measure that is too long. </div></div>

I use a somewhat common method employing a semi-slack sling and upper body weigh to anchor the rifle/bipod down against hop. Works pretty well for me, and is detailed on saveral existing posts here on The 'Hide.

Greg

I agree on the LOP issue. That is why you order the stock the correct length or get an adjustable LOP. I have no problems shouldering into the rifle as dead weight to load my bipods. I am not sure shouldering is the right wording, I use a rear bag and come down on the rifle but and load. Very hard to describe I guess in words.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLVGW360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found, through much trial and error and practicing what is taught in the online training, that squaring your shoulders to the gun and completely relaxing my shoulders was the key for me. </div></div>

+1 on this, and you must also have proper body alignment in line with the rifle. It makes for the best control of recoil and follow through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tailwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLVGW360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found, through much trial and error and practicing what is taught in the online training, that squaring your shoulders to the gun and completely relaxing my shoulders was the key for me. </div></div>

+1 on this, and you must also have proper body alignment in line with the rifle. It makes for the best control of recoil and follow through. </div></div>

...Until you grab a 300WM...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What difference is a .300 WM going to make? </div></div>

I was refering to the comment about completely relaxing your shoulders. I'm not saying that I have perfect form...not at all, but I am saying that if I ever completely relaxed my shoulder while firing my 300WM with no brake I would be in for stiches in short order. If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I am completely open to suggestion but I'd flinch like hell if someone DID talk me into letting one go fully relaxed.

As long as the stock is firmly in the shoulder pocket one can still be relaxed and not get stitches. Came on guys, A .300 WM isn't that big a round, shit!!! not even a 50 will give you stitches. Just dont' let the scope give you a nice big wet one, you might need stitches then. LOL

Relaxing the shoulders is very important. If you do everything else correct, hop can still occur with a tense firing shoulder. I've been working on eliminating the leftward hop for a solid 7 months now and i definetly notice a difference when my shoulders are completly relaxed.

Its tough at first to relaxe your shoulders when you need to apply the rearward pressure with the firing hnad which engages the bicep, but like Lowlight has stated before, with practice you can do it.

I have noticed almost no hop when i shoot on grass or some surface the bipod feet can "dig" in. This makes it easier to load the bipod with the dead weight of your body. When i shoot at the range on concrete, more rearward pressure must be applied with the firing hand, this makes it easier to have tense shoulders and subsequently more hop.

I've even seen hop with my 22 lr, when my shoulders are not relaxed, upon firing, the reticle moves about an inch left and an inch up, but when i relax my shoulders, the reticle stays on target and at most moves directly up 1 inch.

Also, if you do everything right, relaxed shoulders and all, a 300 WM should not bash your eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, if you do everything right, relaxed shoulders and all, a 300 WM should not bash your eye. </div></div>

Let me add i was being sarcastic, no rifle and scope should bite you in the eye. You have to REALLY F-UP to get stitches under ANY circumstance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, if you do everything right, relaxed shoulders and all, a 300 WM should not bash your eye. </div></div>

Let me add i was being sarcastic, no rifle and scope should bite you in the eye. You have to REALLY F-UP to get stitches under ANY circumstance. </div></div>

yeah, i was talkin to Bloody Tailgate in regards to the 300WM comment

Length-of-pull is extremely important. I learned long ago that I was shorter than the standard out of the box 13.5" LOP. I run 12.75" on all of my McMillan stocks, on Remington actions.

Excessive LOP will force the body away from square behind the rifle or cause unnatural form IF you do get square.

Once you find natural Length-of-pull, you will seek it in subsequent builds or purchases.

Good info here. I find myself not relaxing the shoulder and off a bench or hard surface the follow up with a bipod is horrific. I try to put as much forward pressure on my bipod as it can handle without starting to slide, but still have bipod hop and lower quality grouping.
I know this is an opinionated question, but how much forward pressure do you apply to the load the bipod? Are there any tricks for bipod shooting when compared to shooting off bags?What Im doing now is not working. I find myself focusing more on the bipod pressure without slide, holding the stock tight in the shoulder pocket and steady sight picture than I am about relaxing.
Shooting of a bag I dont have this problem.
I am shooting a 700 Rem with a hogue stock I havent upgraded yet, which from reading other threads might be part of the problem with degraded accuracy.

Put enough pressure until the bipod starts to slide then stop.

On a side note, get rid of the Hogue Stock as soon as you can. Get something you can adjust length of pull. That will help you setup the rifle for your body.

R.

+1 on getting rid of the Hogue stock. When I switched to a McMillan it made it a lot easier to hold sight picture all the way through the shot.

Hello everyone (New member here). Although i usually do not use a bi-pod for my guns (I prefer using whatever is around or practicing various self-supporting positions) This particular thread addressed a few issues i was having with one of my bolt actions. Thanks to all the pointers here I was able to get my 100m groupings down to about 1/8" groups. This is my first post, and if everyone else is like those on here, my new favorite forum. Good Luck and good shooting.

+1 on getting rid of the Hogue stock. Not a big fan of the ergo or the results the stock offers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skittishtrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hello everyone (New member here). Although i usually do not use a bi-pod for my guns (I prefer using whatever is around or practicing various self-supporting positions) This particular thread addressed a few issues i was having with one of my bolt actions. Thanks to all the pointers here I was able to get my 100m groupings down to <span style="color: #FF0000"> about 1/8" groups.</span> This is my first post, and if everyone else is like those on here, my new favorite forum. Good Luck and good shooting. </div></div>

All day long?
wink.gif
I bet LL wishes he could do that.