• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bipod hop with bench shooting

Re: bipod hop with bench shooting

If you have a shooting mat you can put it up on the table or use a scope pad flip it upside down and put your bipod feet in the opening or build something with a little bit of skateboard tape for your feet to dig into but it has to be big enough and weigh enough that it won't move around on the table. Just put enough skate tape for the feet to set on, or a combination of all like putting skate tape on your mat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure.

Don't shoot off a bench with a bipod.

Better still, don't shoot off a bench.
</div></div>

hahaha Like that
grin.gif

Yeah it's going to hop regardless unless you modified some type of seating position to get directly behind it. But even then....

i wish i didnt have to shoot from a bench, the problem is where i leave its either shoot from a bench out to 200 yards or dont shoot at all. and they would have to pry my rifle out of my cold dead hands before that happens

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasman35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish i didnt have to shoot from a bench, the problem is where i leave its either shoot from a bench out to 200 yards or dont shoot at all. and they would have to pry my rifle out of my cold dead hands before that happens </div></div>

are they typical benches where you have wings on the left and right? Like this with a right "wing"?

Ninja.jpg

If so, square behind the wing in your chair. Get linear on it. It's about all you can do. You will still have hop but should be reduced.

i reduce the hop by raising the bipod a bit. it feels like theres less hop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasman35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish i didnt have to shoot from a bench, the problem is where i leave its either shoot from a bench out to 200 yards or dont shoot at all. and they would have to pry my rifle out of my cold dead hands before that happens </div></div>

Had a range the same way, so I just proned it under the bench.

Mount up a sling fore and aft. Adjust it so it remains slightly up off the bench when you push it down. Pass your non-trigger hand between the stock and sling, then reach back and support the rifle butt with that hand. When you set up for the shot, apply your weight downward against the sling with the elbow. Do it right and hop should be eliminated.

Lindy is right, but this post also addresses the original question. With some small accommodation, this technique will also work in prone position.

what caliber are you experiencing this horrific bipod jump with?

i shoot of the bench alot for load development ease and yeah it hops so what
ive also competed in fun benchrest shoots with my bipod...
and won... i am not a great shooter im a good shooter

also if you dont like the hop... take the bipod off and shoot off a pack or bagrest

i take all my gold coins and zip tie them into those free footies you get at the shoe departments when you try on shoes....and then hang them from the front site on the barrel.....this abates the muzzle from gaining on the bi-pod and reduces the bi=pod hop.

The same principles to removing bipod hop in the prone can be applied to shooting off of a bench. If you were to view someone from above while shooting seated at a table/bench the shoulders should be straight not one forward of the other and squared to the target so that if you were to draw a line from one shoulder to the other it would be a straight line. Your barrel should be perpendicular to this line so that your body will fully absorb the recoil. Then load your bipod, same process as the prone.

A sling can always be helpful, especially something like a quick cuff. Adjust the cuff to be a length that your non firing hand can grasp it and the sand sock at the rear of your rifle so that the sling places a LIGHT amount of pressure rearward.

If you apply the rest of the fundamentals right after this your rifle should remain still enough to stay on target.