• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Leg Geometry?

SN13

Impatient
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
I watched a Video posted on the hide (Can't find it again) about wide legs and getting the barrel inside the leg geometry so as to be more stable.

I understand the concept of wider bases and stability, and this is not a question on that.

It appears that shooters on SH reference getting the barrel inside the leg triangle, but shouldn't this be adjusted to getting the barrel inside an imaginary equilateral triangle?

The reason I ask, is that I've seen those Long Range Sled legs and if you make a triangle out of the leg geometry, the barrel is "Above" but yet if you create an imaginary equilateral triangle with the feet as the base, the barrels are well within the Imaginary.

....and on the flip side, you could have a very narrow set of legs with a steep angle that Technically puts the barrel inside the leg triangle, but upon the imaginary equilateral, the barrel is well above it.

It makes logical sense that the Sled Bipod is much more stable, even though the barrel is above the leg triangle.

Or am I missing something else?

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Bipod Triangles.jpg

The blue line is the accurate one.
Your first example has nice wide feet but not optimal apex placement
Second example has good apex but narrow feet.

This Elite iron has the good apex and wide feet.
8E021041-53DC-416E-9073-A2A239913B47.jpeg