• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod loading pressure

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    How much forward pressure do you think you put on the rifle? Obviously it varies by surface/position but what would you say is ideal and max? For me I'd have to guess about 10-20lbs.

A thread on arfcom on rail deflection has sparked my interest. I'm thinking about building a fixture to test rail and barrel deflection vs the receiver and I need to get a good number for how many ft/lbs the forearm usually sees.

People have different definitions of “loading” the bipod. Some load it to the point they break them over time and others have enough forward pressure to take any slack out that may be there.

I fall into the second camp. In my shooting I may not have something to load the bipod against other than the friction created between the feet and the surface. Or I may not be using the bipod at all.

Consistency is the most important thing so there really isn’t a right or wrong answer in how much force you put on it.

Since consistency is important I use very little pressure. I may be on the bipod or the fore end or rail may be on a sandbag or pack so there would be no way to be consistent if I zeroed with a huge amount of pressure on the bipod.