• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Bipod loading

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I have heard the proper way to shoot off a bipod is to load it. How do you do this?

How do you utilize a sling when shooting off a bipod? (I have heard this helps)

Re: Bipod loading

Two different ways explained here.

ETA: Sorry this only explains loading the bipod and does not address your second question. Once I got my entire position correct, I no longer needed to use my sling for anything when prone. Someone will be along shortly to say I'm wrong I'm sure, but it works for me.

Snipers Hide Online training will answer that question and probably the next 15 also.
cool.gif

Convert, if you haven't found what loading a bipod is yet, here it goes. Because you bipod folds with the legs facing the muzzle, you are able to put preasure on the bipod when then are down. Example: Once your in the final shooting position and the gun is level and bipod dug in, inch up on the rifle so to put preasure on the legs of the bipod. If done correctly, the rifle will sit in your should by itself. Recoil should be nice and straight back.

thats how I learned to load the saw. get on my toes and push into it firmly, then correct your sight picture and fire away.

Align your torso straight behind your rifle with your legs following suit.

Get into positon and if your doing it correctly you don't force yourself into loading into the bipod. Just relax your torso weight and this should load the bipod (you will feel it if done correctly).

I know it was mentioned up above about using your toes and more or less pushing forward. It may work for some, but I like to be totally relaxed as in muscle memory when my shot breaks.

Being totally relaxed will result in a more repeatable pressure. Have fun with it and you'll figure out what will work best for you.

You'll know when you get it right, because your rifle will recoil straight and not to the left or right.

Multiple swings. Multiple misses. You dont just friggin lean harder into the rifle or scoot up to it.

Lets do this step by step.

Loading a bipod:

Prone out behind the rig with the rifle shouldered.
Arch your back so that your upper body lifts off the ground.
Keep the rifle shouldered while doing this.
The muzzle will point downward while youre doing this.
The bipod will scoot backward as you lift.
Lower your torso back downward, keeping the rifle shouldered.
You will naturally feel your body pushing forward on the bipod.

This is a correctly loaded bipod and it is MUCH more stable than simply scooting up behind the rifle.

When shooting from a bench, you can do this same thing by standing up slightly with the rifle shouldered.

I must of had a premonition today because I took a trip to the range and I happened to video tape me loading the bipod shooting off concrete.

So, again, for the 47th time,
smile.gif
a video demonstrating how to load the bipod.

Now this video is one of the new <span style="color: #FF0000">Sniper's Hide Interactive Videos</span>, meaning there are certain elements within the video that are clickable from inside the video itself. Also, as part of this video I have added an outtake segment of a lesson / drill from the Sniper's Hide Online Training. This is a teaser for those who haven't heard of this feature of the site. To sign up, follow the links in the video or go to My Stuff > Subscriptions.

Now, loading the bipod and shooting off concrete... 22" Barrel, No Brake, No Suppressor, Stock Atlas Bipod, No Aggressive feet, all while shooting a 170gr HPS round going over 2800fps, what does all this mean, nothing was held back.

<object id="objVeeplePlayer" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="500" height="317" align="middle"><param name="width" value="500"/><param name="height" value="317"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=30e681c9-6fdb-4a46-a568-aef99843b8d7&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=0&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=0&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=1&showTabComments=0&playerMode=player&playerWidth=500&playerHeight=317&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&scaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com"/><param name="quality" value="high"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"/><param name="menu" value="false"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><embed id="embVeeplePlayer" src="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=30e681c9-6fdb-4a46-a568-aef99843b8d7&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=0&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=0&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=1&showTabComments=0&playerMode=player&playerWidth=500&playerHeight=317&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&scaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="500" height="317" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" menu="false" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>

im just curious as to why you keep letting people get away with this Frank. All it is is 10 dollars a month to sign up for online training where this and multiple other topics are covered. It seems like people are trying to bypass paying the small fee and ask here about stuff. Come on guys just sign up for the online training

Well sonic sammy, I will do most of that when I get to TX because I don't have a 300WM here...

But the more important point is, people can't do it with a 5.56 so a 308 should be more than enough.

you clearly haven't read the reams of complaints posted about bipod hop with a simple 308, so that is what I am addressing.

But acting like this can't be done with anything else is a bit ignorant, not to mention, how often you see people shooting unbraked 300WMs... maybe I'll just pull the brake on my 338LM and do it.

As far as the online training is concerned, tons of people are already signed up, we have well over 300 subscribers. So, its clearly helping many, the rest, well you know what they say about leading a horse to water.

Absolute with out question can be done.

I'm headed out the door into the 105 degree Mojave heat to run the 5R 300 today.

The point I was making it would further validate the technique demonstrated if a magnum caliber were to be used.

I was shooting my target crowned .300WM yesterday with a bipod, trying to apply the fundamentals and what has been addressed in Lowlight's videos. For the most part everything worked out fine but I can't manage to load the bipod on a hard surface, the feet just slide away. I was gonna buy the claw feet but after watching this last video I think I need more time on my belly to sort things out. At any rate my groups and shooting have improved greatly by watching these videos. Thanks very much for the tips Lowlight, I'll need to get a subscription to the online training as the benefits are becoming very apparent.

Powder Burns, if the bipod is sliding away from you, you are putting to much pressure on it. I had the same problem and pm'ed Frank and he summed it up really well to me, he said all you need to do is put dead weight straight behind the rifle, the rifle should stay in your pocket even when you take your hands off the rifle.

It slides with the slightest amount of pressure. I can walk the rifle across the floor with a finger. So I'm not sure what can be done in this case. I've been primarily shooting off asphalt and concrete, and even with those types of floors I get no traction with the rubber feet.

what bipods are they???? Are you signed up for the online classes? If not i would do that, they show 2 great ways to load em up. I cant get mine loaded just by pushing my toes forward. I wont tell you the other way, but i will tell you that they go over it in the online training

I fall into the buttstock to load the bipod. But the feet just slide forward. On dirt or grass it works for me. I experimented with your suggestion about me applying too much pressure, but I'm really not applying any at all. In the videos you can see the bipod is loaded, the legs are slightly angled back from the pressure on em. The second I push against mine the feet just slide.

if they are harris you arent going to notice any flex, the reason you see the flex on LLs videos is he is using an Atlas on a spigot coming out of an AICS, so there for it flexs. What surface are you trying to load them on, i just got a set of the MOUT feet from Phoneix tactical and they give a little more grip because they are a rectangular rubber foot. Might look at those

Asphalt and concrete. I appreciate the suggestions, was considering the Phoenix Tactical feet. They also have an adapter that replaces the existing feet so you can interchange different feet for the bipod. I dunno if it will still allow the feet to be spring loaded when the feet are retracted, but it seems like a good setup. I may end up putting a towel or something between the bipod feet and the floor to facilitate traction for the time being..

edited to add: I may try to scuff the feet up with some sandpaper. Perhaps it will help the traction issues. If someone has tried this unsuccessfully let me know before I ruin my feet lol.

I have the feet adapters that allow you to change feet out, and they still let the bipod legs deploy when you hit the spring release

Thats good to know, thanks for the insight. I think I'll try a set of those feet out if I can't make these rubber harris ones work.

I've been subscribing to the on-line training for a couple of months. Took about 4 trips to the range really focusing on getting the bipod loading figured out before it came together for me.

For me, staying on target ended up having more to do with keeping my upper body (especially neck and shoulders) relaxed and square to the target than the actual load on the bipod. You just want light pressure against it. I had to move my scope back toward me to make it happen.... otherwise I couldn't get a full sight picture.

$10 a month is well worth it.... shot a group of 5 shots Monday that made it all worth it!

Pod-claw has its benefits, but the technique of loading the bipod is fundemental. I kept telling myself if many of shooters are able to do it with the same equipment, I'm sure I can too. Now I want to encourage you that if this noob(me) can do it, I'm sure you can too. One thing helped me was: "a little goes a long way when loading the bipod" -- by LL

I would suggest the same thing as deadly0311, sign on the online training, and pay close attention to details in both video and reading material. That $10 goes much a long way than the investment on pod-claw.

Pod-claw is a great design and all the kudos to you if you can afford one, but that is not the only key to make it work.

Good luck~

Dyl..

Holy crap Shag, you applied what i shown you...OUTSTANDING

No more freebies bro $10 a question here out

For those who have a problem loading the bipod.
1. Get the clawed feet for it or make some for soft ground.
2. If the surface is slick and your too cheap to do #1, you can use a poncho to help with friction with the rubber feet. Lay down on the poncho and make sure the Bipod is on it too. Loading it this way it pulls the poncho tight. It ain't the best way but it works, especially with the old rubbery issued ponchos. This can also help with muzzle blast on sand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who have a problem loading the bipod.
2. If the surface is slick and your too cheap to do #1, you can use a poncho to help with friction with the rubber feet. Lay down on the poncho and make sure the Bipod is on it too. Loading it this way it pulls the poncho tight. It ain't the best way but it works, especially with the old rubbery issued ponchos. This can also help with muzzle blast on sand. </div></div>

you do not need agressive feet. It doesnt take much pressure to load them up. If they are sliding you are applying to much pressure. No need for aggressive feet, all that solves is an operator error

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who have a problem loading the bipod.
2. If the surface is slick and your too cheap to do #1, you can use a poncho to help with friction with the rubber feet. Lay down on the poncho and make sure the Bipod is on it too. Loading it this way it pulls the poncho tight. It ain't the best way but it works, especially with the old rubbery issued ponchos. This can also help with muzzle blast on sand. </div></div>

Yesterday I was shooting on a plywood top table. I was able to load the bipod enough to make a difference but not enough to make it slide across the surface. If you need claws maybe you are just pushing too damn hard???

Keith

I have a question for everyone that is having issues with hop vs those that are not. Not sure the best way of wording this so I will try my best. At what angle to the stock is everyones bipod? Before the adjustment my bipods legs were foreward. This made it tougher to get any preload on it without the legs sliding and I still had slight hop. I am getting better with it however and the last trip to the range I could still keep the target in my scope, barely. I always looked at this angle and decided to make some "adjustments". My bipod legs now are very slightly back. While laying prone in the hallway it seems like the bipod is in a much better position and easy to load up. I also adjusted my cheek piece up so I am resting on my cheek bone. This positon was very comfortable and the rifle was very solid. I dryfired about 30 times perfectly. No I am heading out the the range soon to see if I can copy this live fire.

what kind of bipod are you running? If its the Harris you wont notice much of a "load" persay on the legs like you will with the atlas. It doesnt take much to load em up and if they start sliding its to much load

Cheese's feet are awesome. They do solve operator error. For the 95% of guys that dont know how to load a pod correctly, thats the beautiful thing.

For those that do, they still provide a great service. They work on damn near any surface. The keep you pod from sinking on soft soil.

I am using a rock mount bipod. Just got back from the range a little while ago. It is a little better and I could see about 40% of my hits at 300m. Still have lots of work to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who have a problem loading the bipod.

Yesterday I was shooting on a plywood top table. I was able to load the bipod enough to make a difference but not enough to make it slide across the surface. If you need claws maybe you are just pushing too damn hard???

Keith </div></div>

Question or suggestion?

I've never had a problem with hop, or sliding. Just trying to help out someone who had a question. By the way a plywood table doesn't constitute a slick surface. If were marble maybe, not plywood. Small bipod feet sink in loose sand, the feet, or a poncho can help alot with that. What kinda difference did loading the bipod make for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who have a problem loading the bipod.

Keith </div></div>

Question or suggestion?

I've never had a problem with hop, or sliding. Just trying to help out someone who had a question. By the way a plywood table doesn't constitute a slick surface. If were marble maybe, not plywood. Small bipod feet sink in loose sand, the feet, or a poncho can help alot with that. What kinda difference did loading the bipod make for you? </div></div>

Neither really, just an observation.

I agree that a plywood table top is not as smooth as marble. Even though it was sanded smooth (with no finish) still rougher than marble. I agree with everything you said but have seen people pushing so hard the feet skid on several difference surfaces. I don't think you need to load it to the point you skid it on semi smooth surfaces or load it so hard you damn near break the bipod on feet that are "stuck" to the ground.

Loading it has helped me with accuracy, hop, and follow up shots.

I have used the poncho, more so for muzzle blast though.

Keith

I hope that youlet those people know they were pushing too damn hard. I've only seen on guy do something like that, it was with a SAW, and he did break the bipod. F'ing privates. Well good shootin to ya

Well,i move from my shooting rest to a bipod (versa pod) after reading on this topic,and let me say no more shooting rest for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im just curious as to why you keep letting people get away with this Frank. All it is is 10 dollars a month to sign up for online training where this and multiple other topics are covered. It seems like people are trying to bypass paying the small fee and ask here about stuff.</div></div>

Soooo this isn't a 'forum' like other forums? Rather, it is only for supporting the videos for sale and not for asking questions about long range shooting? You might want to let folks know this before they go thru the reg process. Save ya' a lot of heartburn, I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im just curious as to why you keep letting people get away with this Frank. All it is is 10 dollars a month to sign up for online training where this and multiple other topics are covered. It seems like people are trying to bypass paying the small fee and ask here about stuff.</div></div>

Soooo this isn't a 'forum' like other forums? Rather, it is only for supporting the videos for sale and not for asking questions about long range shooting? You might want to let folks know this before they go thru the reg process. Save ya' a lot of heartburn, I suppose. </div></div>

If you are serious about precision shooting you will buy the training. It costs less than a few boxes of match grade.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im just curious as to why you keep letting people get away with this Frank. All it is is 10 dollars a month to sign up for online training where this and multiple other topics are covered. It seems like people are trying to bypass paying the small fee and ask here about stuff.</div></div>

Soooo this isn't a 'forum' like other forums? Rather, it is only for supporting the videos for sale and not for asking questions about long range shooting? You might want to let folks know this before they go thru the reg process. Save ya' a lot of heartburn, I suppose. </div></div>

Whatever,

The clueless are usually happy to be... so when people point them in a positive direction and they resist there is really nothing you can do but allow them to be what they are happy to remain to be, clueless in this case.

Snakum, you are welcome to ask any question you like, but if you want to beat a dead horse which as been hashed over and then rehashed over, why not just take the advice given, which is, in this case, "the online training" which goes into great detail to explain how to properly address a precision rifle. But if you feel giving this advice is counter to the principles of this forum, well then, you can always log out and not return. But if you seek information and its given, then you don't like the advice well, I can't help you.

Most people feel it is easier to pay $10 and learn the proper way then to have people come and ask the same questions over and over followed by a host of uninformed answers which push the post into the dead horse pasture.

spinning feet

I just went through the same thing (Harris 9"-13" bipod). While parcticing on my pergo floor, I noticed that as the bipod was sliding away from me (with VERY little loading) that the tips (feet) of the bipod were spinning, like little training wheels, or the like the wide-splayed wing-mounted landing gear on an old German Me-109 WWII fighter plane. I locked them (ie, as if the legs were partially extended and I was turning the locking screws to keep the legs from retracting) and that solved the problem. hope this helps. I PM'd ya cuz I see that its been a long time since the thread has been visited.

Also, It seems that if the bipod extended up a ways it makes the problem worse.

Re: spinning feet

so you guys are happy to know I'm taking your advice, the monthly fee is less then a box of my 9mm ammo, and I shoot $100 of that shit every time I go the range. I will be signing up to the online stuff to help learn this "expensive" hobby, it's the cost of two beers, hell I would buy you 20 if you taught me this stuff in person. cheers.