• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Bipod mounting location?

perttime

Registered from Finland
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Finland
Where do you like to mount your bipod?

Confession: I have never before had a bipod on a rifle that I owned. I've just used improvised support.
Now, I have a bipod and a rifle with almost infinite possibilities for mounting the bipod under the fore-end. As far forward as possible seems to make sense for stability. That does make it awkward to reach the locking lever for tilt and pan, while prone behind the rifle, though. Does that matter?

Mount as far forward as your shooting position, table, or platform will allow. The further away you get the tripod away from your shoulder or a rear bag, the more precise you can adjust the pitch of the barrel over the levering action of the pivot point of the tripod. Think of a see-saw on a kids playground.

Mount the bipod where it's comfortable for you. I set mine out near the end of the stock and set my swivel to a point where I have enough tension to keep the rifle steady but not so much I can't adjust to get the rifle level from behind the rifle. You don't need to lock it out completely.

Forward does seem to be what people mostly prefer, having looked at many photo threads here. So that is where I'll keep it for now. My bipod also tilts forward and back but I don't think that will be an issue. I'll play with it at home a bit, while waiting for bearable weather to go to the range.

What bipod is it that pans LRF to right , swivels side to side and also pivots back to front? Never saw anything like that except on a tripod ball head.

Where do you like to mount your bipod?

Confession: I have never before had a bipod on a rifle that I owned. I've just used improvised support.
Now, I have a bipod and a rifle with almost infinite possibilities for mounting the bipod under the fore-end. As far forward as possible seems to make sense for stability. That does make it awkward to reach the locking lever for tilt and pan, while prone behind the rifle, though. Does that matter?
As far forward as possible will be the most stable.

What bipod is it that pans LRF to right , swivels side to side and also pivots back to front? Never saw anything like that except on a tripod ball head.

Further than your arms can reach while behind the rifle is a pain in the ass when you need to make an adjustment to the bipod. And, you will eventually need to make an adjustment. Stability increases as you get it closer to the muzzle, but there is a point where convenience drops off a cliff…

Further than your arms can reach while behind the rifle is a pain in the ass when you need to make an adjustment to the bipod. And, you will eventually need to make an adjustment. Stability increases as you get it closer to the muzzle, but there is a point where convenience drops off a cliff…
Good point...but with my short arms I'd need it right in front of the mag! haha But yes, point well taken

Cheers

I prefer mine on spigots in front of the forend. As Rob said I just set mine with enough tension to hold but not so much I can’t tweak if needed with the rifle

Far forward and close to the axis of the barrel for me

Reactions: perttime

Ok that doesn't pivot front to back like it does side to side but has adjustable legs to go forward like some others. Understood now.

There used to be a bipod that was actually on a ball mount. It was available in the 90s and into 2k. It had long skinny legs.
Can't remember the brand, but it'll probably come to me at about 0200hrs

Ok that doesn't pivot front to back like it does side to side but has adjustable legs to go forward like some others. Understood now.
It does pivot front and back. Looks like there is a (partial?) ball joint in it.

Quote from the website: "15° Forward, Rearward, Left, and Right Tilt"

It does pivot front and back. Looks like there is a (partial?) ball joint in it.

Quote from the website: "15° Forward, Rearward, Left, and Right Tilt"

That sounds like a lot of play in the bipod. Can that be locked out as if not then I would not want that much slop back and forth.

That sounds like a lot of play in the bipod. Can that be locked out as if not then I would not want that much slop back and forth.
No play. It is the same as the side to side tilt. The locking lever locks it in all directions.

No play. It is the same as the side to side tilt. The locking lever locks it in all directions.
Well let us know what you think when you use it. Sounds pretty complicated in locking outs three different axis.

D0B68823-FF51-47D8-8A44-2E3BA339C9E1.jpeg

The French F2FR rifle had this cool integrated bipod mounted way back. Had some play in it for transversing when tracking a target. Was placed in the spot it was for reasons shown in the pic.

For a hunting or DMR type setup I think this would work well. For max stability then out front is best.

View attachment 8083618

The French F2FR rifle had this cool integrated bipod mounted way back. Had some play in it for transversing when tracking a target. Was placed in the spot it was for reasons shown in the pic.

For a hunting or DMR type setup I think this would work well. For max stability then out front is best.
Placing a bipod in a location based on the need for an up-angled shot from a big rock seems pretty specific…

Placing a bipod in a location based on the need for an up-angled shot from a big rock seems pretty specific…
Yeah, but imagine lots of improvised spots in which you need to take a quick shot. Windowsills & belly/chest-height walls in which you need to shoot steeply downwards/upwards, any shots in which you need to track a target, lots of not-prone positions, etc.

In my way of thinking, a bipod way out front has a more specific use than a support mounted more centrally. Think about how you mount a gun on a tripod or a how a number of machine guns mount to their support.

Of course you sacrifice the most stable position for versatility.

And yes, I know the OP doesn’t have a MG. Just using this as an example as how mounting a support further back can be useful and that front mounting isn’t the end-all be-all (but it is the most stable). Just keeping the mind open…

D4B07FEA-7F55-40E0-8612-285BE289DB82.jpeg
477BF3BB-ADE4-47D2-AA83-CCB30F2E4992.jpeg

As a bunch have pointed out…it depends! 🤣

From a technical standpoint you are normally best served by placing the bipod as far out as you can get it underneath the rifle, as this maximizes your “stability”.

However if you foresee yourself ever having to manipulate the bipod‘s under pressure/time constraints or off of a shooting platform of reduce size, then placing bipods back further towards the receiver tends to trade that for the benefits of being able to make adjustments with breaking body position and or place the bipods on a larger variety of not standard shooting platforms.

It's my experience too that in some situations having the bipod farther back can allow me to get closer to the platform and get more points of contact, buying back some stability for a shot. This has worked well shooting off of 55 gallon drums, tree stumps, rocks, stuff like that.

Reactions: perttime