• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod mounting location

jimdvt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
Vermont, USA
The stock on my Savage 110 BA has a slot that allows me to adjust the position of my bipod, measured from the butt of the stock it can be placed between about 23" - 29". I know I want the bipod as far forward as possible for better stability, but should I consider compromising that and move it further back so that I can actually adjust the bipod with the gun mounted?

Railslot.jpg

Re: Bipod mounting location

So having the bipod 2" back from its most forward position will compromise stability. And any adjustments to the bipod will require you to rebuild your position anyway, so reaching the bipod while behind the rifle is not necessary. Thanks!

I like being able to adjust my bipod without breaking cheek weld. Out in the weeds its quicker to get behind the rifle and adjust the legs while on target, especially if there is a time restriction. Rather than lift and shift the entire rifle looking for a new flat spot in soft ground like sand its easier and alot less frustrating to just extend one or both legs a notch.

For most of us over 5'5" or so tall, our reach is enough so the bipod isnt moved close to the center of balance. Course one online guru claims a certain stock with its bipod feet very close in helps recoil by hanging alot of metal over the legs.

Not sure about that sort of thing, am sure being able to reach the legs on my rifle is a good thang and doesnt hurt my steady hold.

Test it both ways several times and see what you like. For some the 'peace of mind' issue carries alot of wiegth. Find your peace.

Good Luck

Thanks notquiteright. I'm going to play around with it a bit and figure out what works for me and my rifle. I definitely wasn't going to run it way back towards the center of gravity, as far forward as possible while still within reach is where I'll start. I never had the ability to alter the location of the bipod so I was just looking for some insight as to the conventional wisdom / best practices.

I wasnt recommending all the way back, just some guy somewhere was talking it up on some super longrange rig he was proud of.

I've seen alot of guys reach up and set their bipod legs while behind the rifle, both friction lock and the newer notch leg versions. (Notch type are so much easier for me to operate onehanded)

When you find the sweet spot index the position so you can reset it quickly if something loosens or you transition from HP to Bipod from time to time.

Good Luck

In general, should a bipod be mounted as far forward on the handguard as possible?