• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Necessary?

Nesneros

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
CT, USA
Just looking for some opinions on this; I have a Springfield Armory M1A standard equipped with a Leopold MR/T 2.5-8x30 scope. I currently do not have a bipod, but after reading a few posts about shooting techniques on this forum, it seems to me that a bipod would be absolutely necessary for any kind of precision shooting.

As an additional question, would a small sandbag suffice? Or is anything necessary?

Thanks!

Re: Bipod Necessary?

Okay, I was hoping the answer would be no, honestly, haha! Thanks a lot!

Oh also, I would need to re-zero with the bipod on, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesneros</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, I was hoping the answer would be no, honestly, haha! Thanks a lot!

Oh also, I would need to re-zero with the bipod on, right? </div></div>

Are you thinking that the bipod will effect accuracy? It shouldn't. if it does, you should probably be looking for a new stock.

I was thinking it would change the point of impact of my rounds because of the affect resting on a bipod would have on barrel harmonics, it isn't free floated

What's necessary is front support.

How you provide it is optional.

A bipod is a sensible and effective method.

Bipods are pretty damn handy things, but not ALWAYS applicable.

I've supported a shot with a backpack (MANY times), a tripod, a log, a vertical tree, a rock, an ant hill(one time, not recommended, but you do what got to do), a vehicle, a wall, a fence, a window, a buddy's shoulder, etc. etc., yada, yada, yada.

Shot support is subjective to circumstance......

don't forget the sling. more the a few out there in palma land go quite wll with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't forget the sling. more the a few out there in palma land go quite wll with one. </div></div>

How about a bipod <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> a sling, I really dig my quick-cuff.

The bipod is an effective support; however, some folks use this aid to good shooting as a substitute for underdeveloped basic marksmanship. Thing is, when the elements and factors of a steady position are understood, a prone position built with bone alone can be very steady, as well as versatile. And remember, unless you're shooting from a bench, on a berm, or over a freshly mowed course, the prone position, no matter how it's supported, may not allow for necessary line of sight to target. One more thing, with bone alone the non firing hand will be positioned on the handguard. This placement can allow the shooter to adjust elevation, as well as get consistent control over the rifle. The elbow of the non firing hand can also serve, with this bone supported position, as a pivot point for quick adjustment of NPA. At any rate, I think practice schedules which dismiss the bipod initially may promote better shooting down the road using whatever support that may be handy.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I already have a sling on it, just a regular M1 canvas sling. I also have a V-TAC 2 point sling that I use for my M4, but I guess I could get another, problem with that though I suppose is where I would attach a sling of that style on my M1A? I will probably end up just leaving the M1 sling.

Necessary.......No. Helpful.......Absolutely!

What is necessary is the following;

Fundamentals of Marksmanship
Quality Firearm
Quality Scope
Quality Ammunition

These are necessary for consistant accuracy. Remove 1 of the above from the equation and consistant accuracy will not be achieved. However, additional tools can be added to the equation to aide in consistant accuracy (ie bipod, rear bag, rear monopod, sled, etc.)

Key word being "Consistant".

It definitly helps with a more stable platform but if you're not looking to push out past 700-800 you'd be fine with a good rest (i've got a TAG rifle rest on my ruck). Sometimes bipods just get in the way too. As mentioned above good fundamentals are the main thing you need.

I feel more comfortable and shoot slightly better from rests on packs/buttpacks than I do from bipods but bipods are more convenient.

You don't need no stinking bipod. Sling up or use your ruck.

sling, backpack, bipod, anything to help keep the rifle from moving when firing. I love my harris bipod with KMW pod lock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you can, go with an Atlas </div></div>

Not to get too off topic here but I agree completely with this statement. I just purchased my first Atlas and am very impressed with the product and the people that stand behind it. Also, you may be correct if your barrel is not free floated the pressure caused by running a bipod will change barrel harmonics. Im not an expert but Im not sure that its re-zero that will be a problem but the problem would be shot to shot consistency. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this. Free floating is definitely key to good accuracy and as mentioned you may want to consider a new stock. Good luck with whatever you decide and an Atlas may not be for you but it blows my Harris out of the water and for me is a far superior product.

If it is not shooting you may want to change that "Leopold" for a Leupold...just kidding!

A bipod may not be "absolutely necessary", but it is valuable tool that gives options. I like packs, but there is going to be alot of movement to shove or shift gear to get the height changes that are easy with a bipod. I also like tripods which give a lot of options, but difficult to travel with. Tree pegs are a nice option, but I would want to use my buddy's rifle to hammer them in with. I once tied my rifle to a tree with 550 cord, but that took time. Bipods are just quick and easy without much weight addition.

Secondly, I would think unless you are barrel mounting the thing any stock mount would not really do much more that what you are already doing when you prone out resting the stock on something. The stock is already touching the barrel and going to have added pressure regardless of using a pack, log, or bipod.

Blessings,
BC