• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod on AXMC

Canuck1977

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Mirabel Canada
Hi guys,

just wondering what bipod you are using on your AXMC?

I have an Atlas on mine and looking to get something beefier.
Will be shooting the 37xc soon with mine.

cheers to you all and Happy New Year

Try the elite iron bipod

This.
BB9DBC8F-0F37-4633-BD58-176DCDDA7A64.jpeg

I like chicks with a bit extra.
lol.

Besides the feet it’s surprisingly compact when folded.
Mine is the aluminum model.
Fir 37XC you might want the steel version.

Another option is the new bipod Atlas is releasing soon, there’s even a special snipers hide presale in the equipment section.
It’s geared more to the bigger rifles they say.

I believe atlas is dropping a new, beefier bipod very soon. You can blind order it right now

$80 starter bipod, that is known to be out of square, doesn't really help you. You want your gear to carry you, not the other way around. When a guy spends $7,000 on a rifle they tend to purchase more quality of a bipod. You can shoot with a harris and be fine but you tend work alot harder to achieve the proper recoil management and group sizes.

$80 starter bipod, that is known to be out of square, doesn't really help you. You want your gear to carry you, not the other way around. When a guy spends $7,000 on a rifle they tend to purchase more quality of a bipod. You can shoot with a harris and be fine but you tend work alot harder to achieve the proper recoil management and group sizes.
Um no not sure where on the interwebs you read this. Lowlight has a great video explaining recoil management and the type of bipod has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: mikey geester
Um no not sure where on the interwebs you read this. Lowlight has a great video explaining recoil management and the type of bipod has nothing to do with it.
Lowlight also has a bunch of great posts talking about the limitations of the Harris and how the world has moved past it, and noting that students will see group sizes cut in half by moving to a modern bipod.

Don't use my name incorrectly

A bipod matters absolutely on recoil management and a Harris is the hardest to do correctly

A better bipod makes recoil management easier and recoil management tells us were the bullet will go when zeroing,

then you have the physics of stability, a wider stance bipod pushed out forward more will be more accurate than a bipod that is not as wide and mounted well under the barrel

Suspending the barrel inside the triangle is more accurate than balancing it over the top at the Apex

If you want something cheap, small, light, and very fast to deploy, the Harris bipod is actually fairly decent, especially if you get the BRM-S model and the aftermarket parts to adjust the tension.

However if you can spare the weight, size, cost and can spend more than a second deploying the bipod, the Elite Iron ones are an excellent choice.

Reactions: nexusfire
So
Don't use my name incorrectly

A bipod matters absolutely on recoil management and a Harris is the hardest to do correctly

A better bipod makes recoil management easier and recoil management tells us were the bullet will go when zeroing,

then you have the physics of stability, a wider stance bipod pushed out forward more will be more accurate than a bipod that is not as wide and mounted well under the barrel

Suspending the barrel inside the triangle is more accurate than balancing it over the top at the Apex

So a bipod will suddenly make you manage recoil correctly? No. My point is that a Harris works in a wide variety of applications from belly shooting, to PRS, to hunting. No reason not to use one.

Who the fucks cares about "deploying a bipod" fast...

I can put an ATLAS at a 45 and it's pre-deployed,

This is 3GUN BS talking point where they tie a string between the legs and yank it down quick, distance gives you time and opportunity

And in PRS even those guys have moved on from a Harris because the other bipods like the Cyke Pod work much better

PRS Shooters are more worried about Height, Angle and Reach more so than Speed

Reactions: Canuck1977
So

So a bipod will suddenly make you manage recoil correctly? No. My point is that a Harris works in a wide variety of applications from belly shooting, to PRS, to hunting. No reason not to use one.

What suddenly

I have been talking about it for OVER A YEAR if not two

Fuck yes a bipod matters, and an out of square Harris matters even more which will change the recoil pulse. Why do 100s of people complain with a Harris it "still jumps, hops, moves, to the X" over and over, because they are hard to load correctly and most are out of square

Bipods are a viable part of the accuracy equation - look at F Class and Benchrest show me a Big Pond winner with a Harris, not some one off in a pond with 25 shooters, but one at a national level event

Reactions: Canuck1977
What suddenly

I have been talking about it for OVER A YEAR if not two

Fuck yes a bipod matters, and an out of square Harris matters even more which will change the recoil pulse. Why do 100s of people complain with a Harris it "still jumps, hops, moves, to the X" over and over, because they are hard to load correctly and most are out of square

Bipods are a viable part of the accuracy equation - look at F Class and Benchrest show me a Big Pond winner with a Harris, not some one off in a pond with 25 shooters, but one at a national level event
So you miss because of bipods?

You can in longer strings of fire because the bipod moves you out of place

You increase group size, we see it all the time, guys doing everything right with a Harris shooting 1 MOA, we switch them to a different bipod and their groups shrink usually in 1/2 the first time

What is reducing your groups size worth

A Harris out of spec is not gonna be "Faster" because it will bounce you off target requiring your readjust more often

As someone noted above, you can put Snow Tires on a Ferrari and get from Point A to Point B, but does make sense to use the wrong tires... the Bipod is your car's Tires, so why not match the tire to the use?

Why work harder just because it's cheaper ?

Reactions: W54/XM-388
You can in longer strings of fire because the bipod moves you out of place

You increase group size, we see it all the time, guys doing everything right with a Harris shooting 1 MOA, we switch them to a different bipod and their groups shrink usually in 1/2 the first time

What is reducing your groups size worth

A Harris out of spec is not gonna be "Faster" because it will bounce you off target requiring your readjust more often

As someone noted above, you can put Snow Tires on a Ferrari and get from Point A to Point B, but does make sense to use the wrong tires... the Bipod is your car's Tires, so why not match the tire to the use?

Why work harder just because it's cheaper ?
It's really not after you put an arca or pic rail adapter and spiked feet on one. I like the versatility and simplicity of them. I found the atlas a pain in the ass to adjust even when you aren't in a time sensitive situation. I feel that the benefits out weigh the negatives and that they are a good choice.

Sounds like a personal problem like someone isn't training and just being lazy I have no issue deploying an Atlas. I can put claws, extensions, too.

Try shooting an F Class match with Harris, note the score, and then go back and shoot it again just changing the bipod, I bet the score improves, I would almost guarantee it but them someone will do it and tank the score on purpose.

Spikes and extensions are great, but you can put them other bipods too, it's about the design as well, not just materials. So a machined bipod vs a stamped metal one made on the same machines from the 70s is better than a CNC Built one.

Just because some thing is good enough, doesn't mean it excels or even should be used, Again this goes to exact what I said earlier in the week. You get a guy who invests heavily in the gun and system then skimps on the bipod. They over gun the hell out of it, putting a $7000 rifle on top an $80 bipod and call it good enough. Yet they are missing the fact the entire process starts and stops with the bipod.

In the USMC we didn't have them and used a ruck, the ruck was quickly replaced by a bipod, that bipod, the Harris has since been replaced. Do you think the Atlas CAL and TBAC came out of a vacuum. No, the Army finally looked at the bipod and decided they need to change it. they opened up the stance, they changed the pivot point in the center and brought the CG closer to the barrel. There is reason these bipods were created.

If a Harris was good enough, why is AB working with Elite Iron on the military's ELR Rifle ... if an $80 Harris is good enough, why get a $600 one to replace it, or like the CAL or TBAC, a $400 one.

I can make a Yugo work driving back and forth to the grocery store, but I wouldn't want to take a cross country trip in one. Can you, sure, why would I given the choices out there today.

Last edited:
I took the “Pepsi” challenge the other day and shot a few groups with a couple of .223 uppers back to back between a Harris and an Atlas BT10. All groups were 5-8 rounds a piece. I owned the Harris and borrowed the Atlas from work. Prior to the I was thoroughly in the “Harris is just as good” camp.

Upper 1 was a heavy barreled early manufactured Larue Stealth, my groups with the Harris was 1” and groups with the Atlas was about .75” without. Ammo was 77 SMK Magtech . So about a 25% reduction.

Upper 2 was a light weight profile Lothar Walther 5.56 chambered gun. Ammo was 75 grain Black Hills blue box. Groups with Harris was 1.69 + 2.30” , Atlas was 1.13” and 1.50”. So over a 30% improvement average between the groups.

Now the Atlas was not magic. When I got lax I did throw a flyer in a couple of the groups that would make it as big as the Harris groups. A follow up shot both time confirmed that it was indeed a flyer. Flyers aside, it was very apparent the Atlas shot groupings were tighter / more consistent to center overall compared to the Harris.

Ultimately I am kicking myself for not buying an Atlas sooner. I definitely would have enjoyed a number range sessions a lot more with the improved accuracy.

I upgraded to some KAC bipods, keep the Atlas. I like the KAC ones but not an upgrade.

PB

I took the “Pepsi” challenge the other day and shot a few groups with a couple of .223 uppers back to back between a Harris and an Atlas BT10. All groups were 5-8 rounds a piece. I owned the Harris and borrowed the Atlas from work. Prior to the I was thoroughly in the “Harris is just as good” camp.

Upper 1 was a heavy barreled early manufactured Larue Stealth, my groups with the Harris was 1” and groups with the Atlas was about .75” without. Ammo was 77 SMK Magtech . So about a 25% reduction.

Upper 2 was a light weight profile Lothar Walther 5.56 chambered gun. Ammo was 75 grain Black Hills blue box. Groups with Harris was 1.69 + 2.30” , Atlas was 1.13” and 1.50”. So over a 30% improvement average between the groups.

Now the Atlas was not magic. When I got lax I did throw a flyer in a couple of the groups that would make it as big as the Harris groups. A follow up shot both time confirmed that it was indeed a flyer. Flyers aside, it was very apparent the Atlas shot groupings were tighter / more consistent to center overall compared to the Harris.

Ultimately I am kicking myself for not buying an Atlas sooner. I definitely would have enjoyed a number range sessions a lot more with the improved accuracy.

This,

Thanks for doing it and posting,

Now also, consider this,

the Atlas really has the same stance as the Harris, the Atlas is just better machined and has an improved lock up to the bottom of the rifle. The new TBAC and CAL actually change that geometry and widen the stance while maintaining the size. With the CAL too, removing the Panning feature will fix the biggest complaint of the Atlas. Consider the CAL changes two factors, the stance, and the mechanism directly under the rifle. The CAL will mount closer...

Do the same Pepsi challenge between and Atlas and CAL and it will move the needle again.

I was going to jump in but, hell, Frank's already said it all.

It's a junk bipod, usually the first one people buy till they know better.

If you want to use it, please do! I like when the competition hamstrings themselves with junk gear!

Christ, why is this so hard to understand. Somebody figured out how to get a bipod to function like a rifle cradled in a Bull Bag. Of course it is more accurate. The rifle is much more steady on its feet.

Reactions: Steel head