• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod or bag rest differences

Joe Perlo

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
Philadelphia, Pa.
I may be wrong but I've noticed that different guns like different rests. I attached a bipod on a 24" full floating, heavy bull barreled AR and it shot "ok". folded the bipod and shot the gun off of a bag and the groups got tighter. A 700 Remington that I shoot is completely different. It shoots tighter from the bipod. I'm guessing that the harmonics change. Am I right? Joe

If the barrel is not touching the stock, the difference is more in technique than anything. Its all physics, you have energy moving forward and backward, you have tension and torsion against the stock and bipod by the shooter, also muzzle rise. The goal is to find a combination of muscle control to counter the recoil in the exact way every time, this is where bipod loading becomes a necessity.

Shooting off of bags, the rifle "rests" in pretty much the same way every time, the shooter may use his support hand under the rifle buttstock, or may put a hand on the forearm,(to counter muzzle rise) as long as its consistant. There is less issue with vertical stringing off of bags (vs inconsistant bipod loading).

Bipods are usually favored because of practicality in the field.

Roggom what you say makes sense. Both guns are shot off of a bench and I know I'm not getting the same tension on the bipod each time. I'll have to try both from a mat. Thanks, Joe