• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod or bag

Great insight.

Thank you.

Yeah.....fixed position seats suck outright......especially if you are a 3 sammich eating fatboy like me. :ROFLMAO:

55 years old and both my knees and right shoulder are overdue for replacement. Trimming down slowly....getting ready for the first joint replacement surgery to occur at some point....maybe next year.

I'll be using only those friggin benches for a while yet.

Skeert that if I got down on a mat for prone shooting.....I'd need the help of 7 stout RSO's to get my arse up on my feet again. :giggle:

They already give me the stank eye if I take too long trekking back from hanging my targets.
Slow and careful steps.

Can't afford an injury that'll screw me up from working the 13+ hours shifts at work.

Bigtime thank you.

Your reply is timely....very timely.

I've got all my scopes, rails, bipods, triggers & springs, rails, mounts, rings and such to go ahead and set up my Bergara HMR 6.5CM & Tikka TAC A1 .308. Hoping to do so by the weekend.

Son is coming by later on to help me move some furniture out of the spare bedroom that I'm converting into my man-cave & reloading room.

Probably going to take up most of my day today and tomorrow.

Emails have been received informing me that my new action is en route to my FFL and the barrel maker has moved my order into "production". Already have the chassis, trigger, scope, mounts, etc for it. I may have my first "custom" rifle assembled next week.

Gonna be be fun.

Your pics were golden.

THANK YOU.

Here are some recent pics of my son at the range with me.

View attachment 8372320View attachment 8372321View attachment 8372322View attachment 8372323

He's shooting my Bergara B14R (Area419 rail and basic Atlas) and WC Super Sniper 6.5 Grendel (direct M-Lock Magpul).

I think I'll be more than safe with the miserly bench real estate using a wider based bipod like yours.

One thing is for certain....this new "custom" rifle will be the heaviest rifle I own...by a good margin. I want to be able to completely lock out unwanted twisting (pan, tilt, cant, etc) and the stability is evident from your pics of that wide base.

I'm 6'4" and my son is 6'9".....so we will appreciate the capabilities of taller bipods.....from these cramped benches and prone as well.

I joked above about prone shooting being verboten for me.....but I'm gonna get there at some point....
Having ability to raise up higher will be a must.

I do believe you have me ready to add that BT72 Super CAL. I'm gonna get the "no-clamp" model and add the Area419 Arcalock adapter for it. It'll work with my ARC Xylo chassis (integral Arcalock) and the TAC A1 (with Area419 M-Lock Arcalock rail).

Appreciated your help.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
I was going to say to take the bench, swivel it 180°, then take your own stool and shoot that way. But they seem to have placed a piece of plywood right where your knees would go…

Reactions: DubfromGA
Man, those benches are shorter than even my club’s are. If you try to shoot behind the base of the T your knees will prob hit the fixed position seat.

That’s the worst bench design I’ve seen.

I have neck injury that makes prone murder in about 2 sec lol

Plate and screws in my neck with the expected fusing that occurred afterwards has me not expecting much fun on the ground, either.

Reactions: carbonbased
I'm 6'4" and my son is 6'9".....so we will appreciate the capabilities of taller bipods.....from these cramped benches and prone as well.
One thing to remember is you set the bipod height according to the height of the rear bag, although first you’d find a rear bag height that fits your body, of course.

This guy is a friend of Frank and he makes the best rear bags I’ve come across. I’m of average height/weight so I don’t have specific tips for you, but @Enough Said is a big guy so maybe he’ll have some tips. He had a stroke a while ago, so take care of yourself.

I was going to say to take the bench, swivel it 180°, then take your own stool and shoot that way. But they seem to have placed a piece of plywood right where your knees would go…

Yep.

They have me box in there.

This is the range I joined a couple years ago.

They also have outdoor pistol ranges as well as an indoor 20yd range.

The rifle range is 200yds.

It is a ten minute drive from my house.

Public access with daily fees and then two members-only days each week.

It is mighty convenient and the people who own it and run it are outstanding. Super friendly and interested in growing the shooting sports. The RSO's are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

The is another range across town that also has shotgun fun....but I've had some bad experiences with their hugely restrictive ways of handling things. Some of their RSO's are the rudest group of sob's that I've ever encountered anywhere. Nicer benches, but I didn't consider joining due to the bad vibe I get every time I've been there. Thought maybe it was just me and asked around.....same feels came back from other shooters, too,

I'm looking forward to using my local spot as a home base to test handloads and establish zero, stats and confirm out to 200yds but then be ready for some monthly treks to ranges offering distances out to 800yd + .

The closest one has barricades for you to use. It's about a 90 min drive.

Reactions: carbonbased
One thing to remember is you set the bipod height according to the height of the rear bag, although first you’d find a rear bag height that fits your body, of course.

This guy is a friend of Frank and he makes the best rear bags I’ve come across. I’m of average height/weight so I don’t have specific tips for you, but @Enough Said is a big guy so maybe he’ll have some tips. He had a stroke a while ago, so take care of yourself.

Spot on.

I have his three-bag combo. (y)

Praying for his continued recovery, too.

Haven't used them yet, but will take the trio with me and experiment.

Sitting upright vs the typical forward crouch/lean is so much more comfortable for me.

IMG_2535.jpeg

I'd pretty well made up my mind to got with an Accu-Tac bipod.....until seeing the pics and description from @Grim's Reapers Atlas post.

I like the ability to add the Area419 head and achieve Arcalock vs just Arca.
Why I like it is unknown.....it may not amount to any useful difference.

• Love
Reactions: Enough Said
I like the ability to add the Area419 head and achieve Arcalock vs just Arca.
The 419 Arca lock rail looks like a hedge trimmer blade haha ouch. If you are into a locking Arca, my limited research suggests the RRS R-lock system is superior, but I admit I only have experience with the RRS.

The RRS SC-Arc clamp is SLICK, let me tell you, and also attaches directly to the Atlas if you go that route.

No gear is going to help with piss poor shooting form. Take a class before you do anything and learn to shoot. From those pictures, your Son needs a good instructor to show him how to shoot a rifle from a bench with a bag.

The 419 Arca lock rail looks like a hedge trimmer blade haha ouch. If you are into a locking Arca, my limited research suggests the RRS R-lock system is superior, but I admit I only have experience with the RRS.

The RRS SC-Arc clamp is SLICK, let me tell you, and also attaches directly to the Atlas if you go that route.

ACCU-TAC FC-5 G2: Arca Spec QD Bipod is where I've been also leaning.​

One of the ranges I will go to sometimes has movers set up on occasion....from what a buddy told me. Pan could be useful....but only if I can lock it out when I don't want it.

Panning may prove useful on another of the ranges I plan on visiting that has steel targets all over the place....affording you an 800 yd shooting gallery.

No gear is going to help with piss poor shooting form. Take a class before you do anything and learn to shoot. From those pictures, your Son needs a good instructor to show him how to shoot a rifle from a bench with a bag.

No kiddin.

He and I both do.

We were just two guys having fun at the point where those pics were taken.

I went about golf with the frustrations of self-teaching. I sucked for a long time until I finally broke down and got lessons.

Then I sucked even worse until I unlearned my self-taught shenanigans and applied the correct methods.

Another of the ranges within a two-hour drive offers just that....individual shooting lessons. Call 'em, book it and make the drive on the appointed day. I have a buddy who did it and said he'd get me the details when I was ready to book.

At this point, I'm still trying to get my reloading gear set up in a bedroom that has to be cleared out....along with a pile of other stuff that is needed to get a few target rifles set up.

Speaking of Mark @Enough Said , how is he feeling these days?

Speaking of Mark @Enough Said , how is he feeling these days?

Seen him posting on the rear bag thread :