• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship bipod orientation

mocos

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
CALIFORNIA
for my first post...just bought a r5..and doing some homework

I have noticed pictures in the forum of rifles where the bipod is mounted with the legs oriented so that when closed, would face rearward...elsewhere I have read threads for "loading" the bipod where the legs would be pointing forward when closed and I understand the concept. Is there a technique or reason for mounting the pod where the legs would be facing rearward when closed?

Re: bipod orientation

Im not a expert on bipods but for me a backwards bipod would be useless as tits on a boarhog.There would be no way to load it without it folding up on you.A proper load is a must if you want to keep your sight picture and have the rifle recoil straight back.Without the proper load the rifle will hop on you and you will find yourself having to readjust for your sight picture after every shot...........just my .02

If it is a shooters ridge or Harris the legs have to go foward. Some bipods like versa-pod and I think Atlas will allow the legs to go foward or backwards.

I tend to agree with 467...I didn't see any advantage with the pod mounted where legs were backwards....the question came up when I viewed pictures in the "for sale" thread where the pod was mounted legs backwards (Harris).....can one "load" a pod shooting up a steep incline?..or does mounting it "backwards" lessen recoil?

I've never thought about it lessening recoil, but still thats a piss poor trade off for not being able to load a bipod properly. Of course I'm sure theres someone out there doing that with at least the idea of lessening the thump. I would suggest a muzzle brake to them, and have them turn the bipod back around. Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is a shooters ridge or Harris the legs have to go foward. Some bipods like versa-pod and I think Atlas will allow the legs to go foward or backwards. </div></div>

Parker-Hale AI bipod will go either forward or backward.

I was only kidding about the lessening of recoil..the reason I brought the subject up was because there were a couple instances of photos displayed as show n tell or WTS etc where a harris pod was mounted legs rearward....and since the photos were of well equipped rifles with the "right" stuff list, I assumed that the pods were mounted legs rearward for a reason....and being new to this, I thought I'd ask... and I guess that pods that have legs that go both ways essentially are supports incapable of being "loaded".....and still improve "accuracy" for the user.

so in conclusion.....pod legs forward or rearward is ok... and legs forward provides an additional edge to the shooter who incorporates "loading" into his/her routine...yes/no?

Mount it so when folded the legs are forward. Then when deployed you can load, or put forward pressure on the legs. Use your feet to scootch up and keep the forward pressure using your body weight not your muscles.

Watch out for the hop caused by thumb holes and concrete....

put em forward, rearward is like jacking up a car to change a tire on a hill

plus if for wahtever reason you must make an off hand shot, the legs don't get in the way of your forward grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mount it so when folded the legs are forward. Then when deployed you can load, or put forward pressure on the legs. Use your feet to scootch up and keep the forward pressure using your body weight not your muscles.

Watch out for the hop caused by thumb holes and concrete.... </div></div>

I load mine a little differently than hutch.I like to get into my posistion and with the rifle in my shoulder i arch my back a little.This tends to pull the legs back towards you a little.When you come back down flat if you have done it right it puts just enough load on it to work like it should.I have tried using the feet but for me this kinda gets uncomfortable after just a few seconds and doesnt feel natural to me.
Just my.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOCOS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tend to agree with 467...I didn't see any advantage with the pod mounted where legs were backwards....the question came up when I viewed pictures in the "for sale" thread where the pod was mounted legs backwards (Harris).....can one "load" a pod shooting up a steep incline?..or does mounting it "backwards" lessen recoil? </div></div>

The reason some people mount the bipod backwards if for photo purposes only; it makes the rifle appear less angled in the picture. They don't shoot the rifle that way.

Or you could be like the counter guy selling a rifle today at the gun shop I was at getting bullets. He had a new rifle out and the guy buying wanted to check out a long bipod. Counter guy mounted it backwards and sat down on the floor to try it out. When he loaded it up the legs seemed to have alot of flex. I figured it was because of the length. Realized why when he folded up the legs. I just hope he wasnt the guy rigging the rifle as the customer was paying to have it done.

your post is just the question i was going to ask. now answered. this site has been a wealth of knowledge to me these past few months. having been into archery, hand guns and "hunting" with deer rifles (notice i didn't say "shooting") i thought i had some fundamentals. wrong. i have been greatefully humbled by the advice and knowledge on this site.
i've since bought my first .308 and am slowly learning from the guys here. i know it isnt't considered a long range rifle like members here shoot but for me it is and i'm on a budget. gun's supposed to be good for 6-800yrds i'm told. better than me anyway and a great practicle way for me to start. besides i don't have anywhere to shoot that far anyway.
i've shot a lot of practice dryfires out my back window using the instruction on fundamentals i've read here. took the rifle to my hunting lease where we have a 50yd range and a bench. zeroed the scope and began shooting bullseyes with mostly touching holes. then raised groups an inch figuring that would be 100yd bullseye. then 2 inches thinking 200yd. hunter mentality right? 5 shot group=3 touching holes, 1 just to right of group and another a flyer.
and now i've learned that this was all with my harris bipod mounted backwards! lol. wonder how much improvement i'll see next trip out? i love this stuff! it's good to be able to laugh at yourself and your own misguided efforts.