• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod panning important?

Bipod panning pool

• Total voters

jmikell870

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2018
How many of you think panning is an important feature for a bipod in PRS style shooting? Many high end bipods come with or without panning while having many other common features.

If a work or competition gun it's a nice feature to have. If you didn't have it, I'm certain one is still effective as they were for a long time before they had them.

My one Atlas had the pan, but I'm only static now a days so I don't need it and my next one will be the CAL?

Reactions: jmikell870
I have had times the panning feature has gotten me into trouble during a PRS style match. For example, the legs would get turned almost perpendicular when initially shooting over a irregular barricade, like a tree or tire. If the stage started over an irregular barricade then ended in prone, the perpendicular legs get you into a compromised prone positon or you would take a few seconds to fix them.

Reactions: deersniper
The legs turning can get out of control sometimes when you're paying attention to so many other things. That being said, sometimes it's nice to be able to have both legs square against something to load the bipod that isn't square to the barrel.

Reactions: jmikell870
Pretty interesting to see that most of the votes are leaning towards deleting the pan feature. That would not have been my guess.

I was questioning the same thing recently. I have not shot a mover stage with it yet, but recently switched from an old versa-pod to an atlas CAL. My groups are half the size consistently, and I have not missed the pan feature a single time.

Cant is another story. I have owned a Harris bipod with no cant feature. It lasted one trip to the range.

I’m not a PRS guy but panning never helped me it always seem to move when I didn’t want it too.

I don’t see how people shoot movers prone with a bipod. Maybe it would help off a bench or something. On the ground your whole body is on the ground.

Tripod is much better for multiple targets and movers for me.

I shoot PRS and actively would not want pan feature. Shot stages when you need to pan and the legs just aren't that sticky to where you are coming off the scope to move to the next target. Also I've noticed other shooters are moving away from pan too. Seeing more CAL's out now.

Reactions: Diver160651
I prefer either a non panning (or panning lockout) bipod. The legs getting crooked is a major pain in the dick and an added inconsistency as far as I’m concerned.

I think the ideal setup would be a bipod that was spring loaded to the neutral position so the legs would stay square when setting down behind the rifle, but would allow for some misalignment for loading up behind a crooked support structure etc.

I like the bipod to be square. For me, the "advantages" of a panning bipod don't make up for how annoyed I get what it's moves around under my rifle. Even locking out the pan feature is a pita to me. Prefer an Atlas Cal, Harris, or Thunderbeast without pan.

Reactions: deersniper
I started shooting with panning bi-pods thinking I needed all the features available. Later I realized I wasn't a fan of panning and opted for bi-pods where I could lock out the pan. Now I just avoid options with panning.

Not a fan of panning in a bipod. Never saw a need. Actually took it out of my Magpul bipods. Would rather not have a panning bipod on my rifles.

I like the bipod to be square. For me, the "advantages" of a panning bipod don't make up for how annoyed I get what it's moves around under my rifle. Even locking out the pan feature is a pita to me. Prefer an Atlas Cal, Harris, or Thunderbeast without pan.
I think that is an interesting concept. I haven't seen very manufacturers offering a centering pan feature. At least with the major brands.

Maybe a better question is who wants pan? I guess some .mil wants it. Example the atlas PSR

I’ve used an Atlas in the past and just recently picked up the TBAC with no panning. I definitely prefer no panning. Before, after 5 or 10 shots I may find the rifle all disoriented and the bipod legs twisted around sideways... can’t happen without pan and it’s still super easy to aim left/right loading the bipod a little.

Never much thought about it until last week at a match at K&M. Roof top stage, ya had to lay prone along the crest of the roof, bipod legs on either side of the slope.

Well, roof line was pointed in one direction, targets were lined off axis in another direction off shooters right, then staggered R-->L. It was a pain and caused you to have to be in a really awkward body position. I didn't do well with my Harris.

I do have a Atlas that pans, but don't use it but for my trainer or loaner rifle. I think I'll throw it in my pack for PIGG River next weekend.