• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod placement

FrozenRopes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
MA, USA
If I have my bipod mounted all the way out on my fore-rail, I can't reach the bipod while behind the the rifle in prone.
I have since moved the bipod back so I can make adjustments to it while staying behind the rifle.
I'm not a good enough shooter yet to notice a difference in bipod placement, completely forward or shifted back toward the shooter 4 inches or so.

So my question is:
Is there any benefit in placing the bipod as far out as possible?

Re: Bipod placement

Lowlight Quote:
As a note when you push the bipod out beyond the stock, and further forward you can potentially see accuracy gains by increasing the stability. The further forward you go the more science works in your favor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ballistic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Lowlight Quote:
As a note when you push the bipod out beyond the stock, and further forward you can potentially see accuracy gains by increasing the stability. The further forward you go the more science works in your favor.

</div></div>

+1

There are some tradeoffs.

Bipod further out gives more mechanical stability.

Bipod closer in gives more vertical/lateral play without adjusting the bipod legs.

Reactions: stanley_white

if you have a swivel model. loosen the swivel so that it's tight but you can still tilt the rifle and leave it.

What you've been saying is pretty much my thoughts:
Farther out equals more mechanical stability.
Close for easier human interface behind the rifle.

Seems like a simple trade off of speed/ease-of-use versus stability.

Thanks for input.