• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod recommendation

Dan65

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2023
Maryland
I am looking to get a bipod and am stuck on which to get. It will be passed around between multiple guns but will primarily be used on my 6.5 for hunting and long range shooting. I have some experience with harris bipods but am more intrigued by the atlas cal bt69 lw17 and the Q kickstand m1913. They are roughly the same price so I was looking to see if anyone had any input on these options.

The Atlas has a larger profile and double the weight but it is a proven design. It also has a QD attachment mount and larger adjustment range.

The Q is more compact and half the weight. Functionally it seems to have the same capabilities as the atlas. The only downside I see is the lack of QD.

I plan to buy a qsert model of the Q bipod for my 6.5 in the future. At that point whatever picatinny bipod I choose now will just bounce around between my ARs, namely a SPR build and 22.

I suggest not "dual purpose" of the bipod. Run an Atlas CAL or Super CAL for LR and a CKYE double or triple pull for hunting. The odds of shooting prone when hunting are quite low. The triple pull CYKE appears to be the number one pick for NRL.

Reactions: YotaEer
Atlas cal here and hunting I have an arc rail tripod clamp that’s good for up to 30lb rifles and is rock solid to fire from. Unless your out west hunting elk/mulies/pronghorns you’ll almost never find the chance to shoot from a bipod when hunting, only reason my hunting rigs have bipods is for firing from bench/prone at the range.

I prefer Accu-Tac for target shooting and a few of the 'so horrible it'll never work' Harris that always go with me hunting. I do have an Atlas CAL, and much prefer the Accu-Tac.

FWIW I don't seem to have the accuracy issues, or the 'near death' issues that many people seem to suffer with on a Harris. However that whole leg collapsing when you pull back on the rifle (getting into or out of position - not firing) is a bitch. Too much play the the Atlas for my tastes...you can load most of that out, but it just doesn't feel right to me. YMMV.

Added an ACCU-TAC FC5 a couple weeks ago.

It is super stout, stable and easy on/off.
The adjustability is exactly what I wanted. Independent cant & pan.
Well executed engineering.

It isn't as lightweight as the Magpul and basic Atlas models I have locked onto other rifles.....but then again, this one will be used on my heavier guns.

The Arca QD is smooth and effortless to get in position.

Easy removal of feet. Minimal time to swap to other types.

I think I'm going to really like it.

I wish I'd bought this one first....could have saved the expense of the others.

IMG_3034.jpeg

Was looking at another accutac but my distributor was out of stock. Went with the new Warne in arca mount. I’m really enjoying it

I wish I'd bought this one first....could have saved the expense of the others.
I wish I could count how many times I had to learn that lesson before I finally did. LOL Wasted a ton of money on stuff that is now just lying around, replaced by what I should have bought in the first place.

I run an Atlas BT-72 and love it, but that ACCU-TAC looks pretty sweet as well sir.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I run my accu-tac more than my atlas lately. Not sure I’d recommend it for a hunting rifle, unless you don’t do a lot do walking, they are kinda bulky.

I still use a Harris on a lot of older rifles with only sling studs as well.

I’ve been tossing around trying a single pull, just to see if it is as nice as everyone says

I looked at the gunwerks elevate as well, but I’m not convinced they have all the bugs worked out.

If you shoot mostly prone, I would get an Elite Iron. If your use is mixed, it is hard to beat a Ckye-Pod

Personally I don't like how rigid the acu-tac is. I prefer a bipod that has some slack to load.

Atlas is good, I agree with the people who say that you need to get the models with the legs that don't roll.

Ckye-pod is great for field work, lots of adjustability. But it is more costly than an atlas.