• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod recommendations

.375Mojave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Does anyone have an opinion on what they consider to be the best bipod for a heavy (.375 Chey Tac class) rifle?

Harris seems the most popular but if someone knows of another slick option I am all ears. Since we are talking about guns that weigh at or near 20# it would seem spending a bunch of money to save 4 oz. doesn't make much sense.

I am considering the Harris swivel 9" to 13" with leg notches. The swivel seems like the way to go for leveling on uneven terrain but I would be interested to hear the experiences of others on the topic.

Re: Bipod recommendations

I was not big on the Harris because of its attachment via the swivel stud, it would loosen up riding in the truck and I would have to tighten it up. I took the attachment mechanism off the Harris and drilled a hole in the mounting plate and drilled and tapped a 10-32 into the rail on the forearm. I attach the Harris with a cap screw and it does not loosen and it is as extremely rigid. That and a pod-loc and the Harris is GTG.

Before I modded the the Harris I bought a Rock SOPMOD bipod and it works great. It swivels and allows for cant adjustment via a ball and socket-like joint. I replaced the M6 nut that tightens up the ball and socket joint with an adjustmwnt handle (think pod-loc). I loosen the adjustment handle when I get to a target eliminate ant cant and tighten the handle and the bipod is rock solid.

Just my two cents,

I like the rock bipod as well, for pretty much the same reasons as was just mentioned. But it should be known that I only have experience with it and the haris.

Parker Hale with the handstop is really nice. Much prefer it over the Harris.

GG&G Heavy Duty is a great bi-pod for your application.
Just received a couple Atlas and they are nice also. Will post picture of both later.

Tom

My AI AW weighs in around 18lb....I used a Parker Hale for a long time but have just got an Atlas and love it.

Sorry to say Harris is not on my list unless a studmount is the ONLY option.

OK i will be different forget Bipod

TRIPODS are where its at
correctly setup support anything from prone to crouch standing

Do a search plenty of info here

I had considered this a while back. I saw some 3 year old articles on this and the guy was sold on tripods vs bipods.

I guess i was trying to avoid yet one more piece of gear to lug into a hunting situation, but I appreciate the input.

I vote neither and that you should shoot off a ruck because of the bullet torque implemented on the rifle when shooting off a fixed point such as a bipod.