• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Bipod Slip

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
When I load my bipod up the rubber tips want to slip. I can get it to load but when I lower my upper body the bipod slips out of position. It is a Harris 9-13 inch S bipod. Am I doing something wrong or do these type of tips just not get very good traction?

Re: Bipod Slip

Loading a bipod is subtle forward pressure, not jamming the gun forward. If you want to do that, have something in front of your bipod to load against.

Also, if your a new shooter, sign up for the online training, the info in there will get you up to speed fast, and the amount of money you save in wasted ammo will more than pay for the fee.

I'm not a new shooter and my groups aren't bad but I get the feeling that I am not doing something right. Yesterday I traded my 243 for a 308 so it is now going to be more critical that I understand this process. I have seen the bipod loading video on youtube but I am still having trouble getting it to do what I think it should.

Judging from your recent questions it sounds like while not a "new shooter", you might be fairly new to this game. I still think the online training helps. I still consider myself a new shooter, and I've been at this now for a little over 3 years.

Thanks for the replies. The bipod is not the shortest one. I think that this might be some of the problem. It hurts my neck if I set there for very long. I have been primarily a benchrest shooter or at least had some type of rest up until recently. I decided to switch to the bipod because it is more practical. When I am out hunting I don't carry a table with me so it made more sense to learn to shoot from the ground. My groups have opened up to about a .75 or 1.00 inch group. These groups are not very bad but off a good bench I have shot some in the .2s and .3s and can usually keep my groups under .5 inches at 100 yards and this was all done with a stock savage. I might check that online training out but first I am going to add and replace a few things on my new rifle to make it more comfortable for me. Would a shorter bipod help or do I need to go with something with more aggressive feet?

If you are a bench rest shooter here's a good challenge for ya!

Remove the bipod.

I'm not the worlds greatest shot but at 100 yards I get bored shooting my 308 so I went back to shooting with a sling.

That'll simulate some range, minus the wind.

On the same note tho my neck hurts if I shoot bipod too long also, mainly for me it's the stock - the cheeck rest is way too low for my scope (The Hubble)...

Get a Harris 6-9 swivel with NOTCHed legs, 9-13 is for Moon landings, and shooting in really tall grass, which Arizona doesn't have, I think your up too high and the goofy position you have your body in is pushing the weapon foward, online training is recommended also, Jedi Masters Jacob and Frank will learn you the way of the rifle.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I need the shorter bipod but I tried it today out in the yard and had no problem with slip. I read the bipod loading thread and made some adjustments. I was trying to do this on carpet so I could work on my dry firing inside. When I tried loading the bipod on grass it was not an issue at all. Now the rifle will sit into my shoulder without me holding it and remain there with very little or no movement.