• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod transverse importance?

Trochlea

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2013
Den, CO
Trying to work on building up natural point of aim. If i have twenty minutes to get behind the gun and get comfortable, i have been improving significantly in my ability to quickly get on a second target is challenging. Recently got behind a rifle on an atlas and noticed the ability of the bipod to traverse from side to side. Seemingly this would be incredibly helpful in acquiring additional targets from the prone without having to rebuild behind the gun for each new shot. IS it? I will plead guilty in occasionally trying to buy my way into better shooting but it seems like it could be potentially very useful. What are your thoughts? helpful or just another gimmick?

It is helpful to have a bipod that will pan or traverse left to right. Remember this, if the targets are close together, you may be able to move from one to another without having to rebuild your shooting position. If you have to move more than this, you will have to pick up your body and levitate a few inches to either side to get to your target. If this is the case you will still have to "rebuild" the position of your body but not the rifle as it rests on the bipod.

Last edited:
Smacks head and wonders why he has never heard of the frisbee trick.

I'll have to try that. Guess loading the bipod is out when doing that quickly.

Smacks head and wonders why he has never heard of the frisbee trick.

I'll have to try that. Guess loading the bipod is out when doing that quickly.
Load your shoulder pocket with the butt using your trigger hand for other than pulling the trigger only. With practice you can do both at the same time, but it's an acquired skill. Use a squeeze bag under the butt and learn to control the X/Y axises (up/down w/ slight right and left as well). After you master that, learn to repos the whole rifle with your trigger hand as well. Using the frisbee will get easier an easier each time and you can transition larger areas very quickly, once your up to speed. Hand, wrist and forearm work outs help alot. Works better/faster using a semi auto, but works good for fast shooting a bolt as well. HTH