• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod/Tripod review

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I am going to start out this review with a couple of disclaimers.
First, this is not intended to be a “what’s best” declaration. This is quite simply an explanation of what I have found to work best for me and why. There are other quality options on the market and I am not here to knock any of them. Personal preference plays a huge roll in gear selection, what you will find here is my preference. Please take from it what you will and don’t read anything more into it than what you see here.
Second, I fully realize and understand the problems that have been encountered in obtaining some of these products. Some of the products depicted here are in high demand and difficult to get ahold of. I waited some time to obtain some of them and have found that it was worth the wait. Everything I will discuss is available through Phoenix Tactical and I recommend going through Phoenix Tactical exclusively to obtain them.
Lastly, I am not affiliated with Phoenix Tactical or Alamo Four Star in any manner other than being a very satisfied consumer of their products. I am not being paid or reimbursed in any way for this review. Scott Hansen at Phoenix Tactical has been nothing but professional and courteous in my dealings with him. My primary motivation for posting this review is to share what has made my job easier, if Phoenix Tactical receives business as a result I feel it is well deserved.
Now that all that is out of the way,

I decided to make some changes to increase the versatility of my setup. I use my rifle in a wide variety of situations from the flat range to office building roof tops to “urban hides” set up in apartment buildings and houses. I’ve been using a DCLW tripod with side pressure kit for a couple of years with great success but have felt it would perform better if I could lock the rifle in more securely. I ran across this thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2038763&page=1 and a lightbulb came on. I ordered a 12” picatinny rail blank and put myself in line for the tools that 427Cobra was nice enough to share. Once everything arrived I went to work installing the rail to my stock. Here is the finished product:
IMG_0948.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">**Many thanks to 427Cobra for the tutorial and the use of his tools for this project**</span>

I also contacted Scott at Phoenix Tactical and ordered a DLOC-S, a flat top conversion which replaces the cradle on my DCLW with a flat top and DLOC adapter, a set of prototype “T’s” replacement legs and a set of Leg Lock Screws.
I previously owned a set of the “T’s” replacement legs and Leg Lock Screws for the Harris Bipod which I used for about a year on an Iron Ridge Arms rifle that I sold recently. I have also owned and used Phoenix Tactical’s Pod Claws. I like to shoot very low to the ground and using the DLOC-S and rail setup added some height to my bipod. The “t’s” legs reduce the overall height of the Harris 6”-9” bipod bringing the height back down where I need it.
IMG_0954.jpg

The only complaint I had with the Pod Claws was that they wanted to grab along the interior of my Eberlestock Phantom scabbard when putting the rifle away, the aggressive claws would also chew into the wood deck at one of the shooting ranges I frequent. The “T’s” footings offer a good compromise in my opinion. They offer both a vertical and horizontal surfaces which still bite into soil and allow substantial bipod loading but also work extremely well on horizontal surfaces such as a concrete curb, the gaps in an automobile body and window sills which can be easily protected from damage by a piece of tape applied before placing the rifle. As you can see the feet on the “T’s” legs are welded to the leg for strength.
IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

The “T’s” legs have a slot cut down the back side that, when combined with the Leg Lock screws, prevent the bipod legs from spinning within the upper legs. This help keep the rifle planted and reduces movement requiring readjusting between shots.
IMG_0938.jpg

The “T’s” legs also have notches cut to allow the continued use of preset height adjustments available with the Harris bipod.
IMG_0939.jpg

Phoenix Tactical plans to have the 5.5 Tactical Bipod available with the “T’s” legs available this fall.

To be continued...

Re: Bipod/Tripod review

With the modifications to my rifle stock and the bipod complete I can now attach the bipod to the rifle at any position along the rail. The bipod remains out on the end the vast majority of the time but I have found moving it toward the rear a bit makes tracking moving targets a bit easier.

The DLOC attachment works very easily. There is a knob which is backed out until it stops.
IMG_0952.jpg

The end of the knob is then pushed in toward the center line and the adapter opens up to grab the picatinny rail.
IMG_0950.jpg

The knob is then released which closes the DLOC around the rail. The knob is then tightened back down which locks the adapter to the rail.
IMG_0953.jpg

The DLOC-S still allows for the swivel feature of the Harris bipod to function and takes all of about three minutes to install.

The DLOC adapter on the DCLW is pretty self explanatory at this point as it works the same as the DLOC-S but attaches the rifle to the DCLW via the rail affixed to the rifle stock. The DCLW offers a fantastic platform for shooting the rifle, tracking moving targets, adjusting for elevation or locking the rifle into position and being able to walk away if necessary.
IMG_0926-Copy.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0929-Copy.jpg

As you can see from the pics I have enough length on the rail I installed to keep the Harris bipod attached and still utilize the DCLW.
IMG_0928-Copy.jpg

If you have a shorter rail section installed you can remove the bipod and lock the rifle into the tripod. The DCLW is strong enough to support the rifle from the end of the stock.
IMG_0930-Copy.jpg

The DCLW offers four positions for spread of the legs which can be used to stabilize the tripod on uneven surfaces.
IMG_0931-Copy.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

To be continued...

The tripod also offers five length adjustments for the legs allowing for an overall height from 19.5” up to 28” with the legs spread to the narrowest setting.
IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

The DCLW weighs in at 4lbs 2.2oz (according to my cheap USPS scale)
IMG_0957.jpg

The tripod folds up into a package roughly 21.5” long by 4” wide.
IMG_0958.jpg

The tripod fits nicely into the side pocket of my Eberlestock Phantom pack
IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Hopefully this will be of some use to shooters out there looking for a quality setup that has worked well for my needs. As I stated in my disclaimers I'm not here trying to say this is the best out there or that it is any better than any other products on the market. It simply works for me.

You will find Phoenix Tactical is a contributing dealer here on the hide and the owner is a great guy to do business with.

Nice write up & good info. 427Cobra's decision to start a "pay-it-forward" arraignment with his gear was impressive.

Excellent review and great pics. Thanks! We've been looking for rifle tripods at work and this is great info to help with our search.

Cory,

Nice post! You are the reason I have been waiting a year for three of them for my guys!

Thanks
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cory,

Nice post! You are the reason I have been waiting a year for three of them for my guys!

Thanks
Matt </div></div>
I thought his review was great, and really thinking of purchasing one when I get my rifle back for AJ Brown. Hi Matt, I am just a few miles north of you in Argos. Small world my friend.

I've had on order an Alamo Four Star tripod for over ten weeks now; even longer but thats another story. Presently they are awaiting parts and the back order is even longer. Maybe for Christmas???

Great product but the company sucks!

If only the external retail providers had some stock ... ever. But they never seem to have any so everyone is forced to go direct. I don't know if one at a time is made in a back shed or there is a huge factory churning them out for the military but if you are an individual wanting one then expect to have to wait forever.

Mark Deros is the contact for the company as is so non-plused about it all its almost as if he is on whacky backy living in the 60's! In fact I don't think he really wants anyones business as it all so irritating. "Please wait 4-6 weeks then wait a few months more and please do cancel your order at any time."

Do a search on the forum and the above isn't new. Its just such a shame.

I will reiterate:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fully realize and understand the problems that have been encountered in obtaining some of these products. Some of the products depicted here are in high demand and difficult to get ahold of. I waited some time to obtain some of them and have found that it was worth the wait. Everything I will discuss is available through Phoenix Tactical and I recommend going through Phoenix Tactical exclusively to obtain them.
</div></div>

Don't get me wrong great review. There are some envious people out there who would just love to get their hands on one ...... if they could!!!!!

If only Phoenix Tactical could have a truck load in stocks and no one else ever had to deal direct. I think they have tried too.

I think the T shirt should read: " If you have the patience to wait for an Alamo order to be delivered then you truly do have the patience of a Master Sniper".

I have had an order in for a side-pressure cradle tripod for a very long time.

Our Department was ready to purchase three of them, but after my calls and emails on the T&E stopped being returned the Dept. lost interest.

I would still like one for my personal callout gear, but I am about done waiting for it. Weeks and Months is fine. Years is not.

Glad you got one Cory. I know you are putting it to good use.

I guess this would be a good time to chime in.
Phylo,
Great review. Feedback from Operators is always appreciated and greatly respected.
I walk a fine line here on the Hide.
What we do over here at P-Tac is make or get gear for our customers and then provide the best Customer service as we can.
When I see the quality and craftsmanship behind this gear I want it for myself and for who ever wants to purchase it from us. Belief in your products (if you made it or not) is paramount to giving a Customer that extra ounce of service they desire and deserve for their hard earned buck.
When it comes to the DLOC and DCLW product line I believe they are second to none in my book.
No slam or slander intended to any manufacturer of any similar product intended and my apologies in advance if you feel that way.
That is the basis of my decision to carry these products WHEN they are available.
I have told many a member over here to give me their information and not their money when they want a product that is on back order. Some wish to pay and wait. Their call because it's their money. Simple as that.
With that fundamental personal and business decision fully explained I might be able to shed some further light on the tripod and DLOC kits.
The DCLW in both the cradle and flat top with DLOC are being manufactured assembled and sold on a regular basis.
The DCLW heads are also. as a matter of fact I have an order of three going out the door this week to our friends in the Government.
Not every but most of all the DCLW's that I have received have gone out the door on contracts for our SF Teams.
These are made by hand in the dozens not hundreds and made to order.
I clearly make no apologies for Alamo Four Star.
In some cases they had their mess cleared up by me getting all over their asses. Some members here know that very well.
They make one hell of a product and should leave it at that. By that I mean they should concentrate on manufacturing and leave the sales and customer service to people who dedicate their time to taking care of their clients.
I will continue to get as many of these products as possible and already have some great kits in stock.
If the wait is too long for someone then please go find a product that you want or need. After all it is your money and your decision. I'll always respect that call.

I am usually available to explain the DCLW and DLOC kits for anyone that may be interested. That you can bank on.

PS...Terry Cross if for some reason you are reading this could I please get some Pod-Locs??

Very best regards,
Scott Hansen
Phoenix Tactical
Stay low...

Scott, I appreciate your position.

My frustration is that if a company is manufacturing products at peak capacity and cannot keep up with customer demand then it's only good business practice to take steps to increase capacity. Otherwise you end up with irritated customers who eventually go elsewhere and either purchase something that was less suited to the job or go without.

I would still like to purchase a DCLW since I have an operational need for it. Most of my FFP's end up in the sitting or kneeling (actually sitting on my ruck or stool) and the DCLW looks to be perfect for rooftop operations. One day I am sure that supply will catch up with demand just long enough for me to snag one, but then I have to wonder if the company will have time to back it if there is a warranty issue.

LoneWolf.

I completely understand.
Trust me when I say I'm working on it. Daily.

First off, thanks for a great write up. This is a 'must have' modification idea; one I've considered for a while but have not taken action. I will DEFINITELY be doing this mod to my new rifle. Once it comes back from having the barrel chopped, crowned and threaded. When it ever comes back:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My frustration is that if a company is manufacturing products at peak capacity and cannot keep up with customer demand then it's only good business practice to take steps to increase capacity. Otherwise you end up with irritated customers who eventually go elsewhere and either purchase something that was less suited to the job or go without.</div></div>

Truer words were never spoken. I am of the exact belief that, "If you can't keep up, someone else will." I realize that there are a number suppliers of gun specific products and services that are in very high demand. They earned it. Looks like they're not too concerned about keeping it at times though. If those folks want to retain the high demand for what they offer - they better get in gear, ramp up production and provide superior customer service. Period. I won't go into specific companies but we all know who they are: suppressors, Kydex, knives, 1911's, ect.

I've got a barrel that's taking 12+ weeks to get threaded. It's about a hundred dollar job; so about an hour and a half's worth of work at best.

I've got a Glock that is in for a grip reduction and stipple job. It's a 3 hour or so job but won't be done for MONTHS!

I did recently order some Kydex that I'm getting in 4 weeks, but only because I know the maker. Won't matter anyway as the Glock won't be here 'til probably Christmas. There are Kydex makers that couldn't deliver by Xmas though.

Anyone else see the trend here?

Now I've started to rant, but I should explain so my perspective is clear to everyone. I am a weldor and toolmaker. I own my own shop that serves the auto, medical and plastic injection molding industries. I know a bit about how to manufacture products, provide good customer service, make deliveries on time and all at a fair price. If my delivery times were anything close to what many in the gun biz are doing - I'd be out on my ass in a few short weeks.

What's to be done from a consumer standpoint? My answer is to NOT SPEND MY MONEY with companies that can't deliver in a reasonable amount of time. Period. Your definition of 'reasonable' and mine will be different but deliveries that are measured in 'months' or 'we don't know' will not be getting my business. I'll find alternative products and services, do without or fabricate my own.

That's a slick piece of kit and I'd love to have that tripod, but I'm not even considering it. They can't deliver and I refuse to wait.

Really want one. i sent a message over to Pheonix Tac...for availability on tripod and the options i need.