• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bipods... help me understand..??

granite wagon

bottle washer
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2021
NC
OK.. so I have been using the harris brm-s 6-9 bipod with some form of pod lock adjustment arm since about 2009.

I Always develop loads using the bipod I intend to run.

Help Me understand why this is an " outdated " bipod choice!?

I have always had good luck running Harris bipods, but most people are gravitating towards the better fit and finish of the more modern selections. Most of the more modern designs give you additional flexibility that you will not find in the Harris, such as optional 45 degree leg positions, additional leg extensions or easy foot swapping. You can upgrade a Harris to accept different feel or leg extensions, but it still a spring operated rattle trap.

Thank You Both for the responses!!

Zak & cgobeli.. what should I be using ?? And why?

The options are endless but there is nothing wrong with a Harris, I run one on my hunting gun. tons of guys loving the MDT CKYE pod especially in PRS, its pretty slick. I've got a couple Atlas that I really like. I'm excited for the MDT GRND POD. I'm planning on putting an Accu-Tac HD-50 on my ELR rifle

Thought this was cool in the crazy expensive bipod market

I don’t mind spending money but over 300 for a bipod, it gets a little crazy if ya ain’t a sponsored pro ROI wise.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
I use like 4 bipods these days.

1. the old AI Parker-Hale style bipod. This is super old school but it is an exceptional bipod for field use, if your chassis has the receptacle (which all old AW's, AICS's, etc, have)

2. the TBAC bipod for anything that I would use #1 on but it has an Arca or Picatinny rail instead. I didn't reply here to promote this bipod but we did make it to combine the best things we liked from bipods and get rid of the stuff we hated

3. the Elite Iron bipod, for big, heavy rifles, it cannot be beat

4. the Magpul bipod for when I don't need a really precise/advanced bipod but I just need it to be really lightweight and get the job done (typically on 3Gun style AR rifles)

Thank You Both for the responses!!

Zak & cgobeli.. what should I be using ?? And why?
I just got a TBAC last year and love it, but I still use my Harris when my wife or kids shoot with me. There a lot of good options out there depending on your use and budget.

For me the TBAC is as fast as a Harris for deployment, I liked the spring loaded legs that extend no matter where the legs are currently positioned, the ability to only use the 45 degree option when I wanted to, and the placement of the cant locking lever allowed more room on my rail for my bags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huckmeat
I just got a TBAC last year and love it, but I still use my Harris when my wife or kids shoot with me. There a lot of good options out there depending on your use and budget.

For me the TBAC is as fast as a Harris for deployment, I liked the spring loaded legs that extend no matter where the legs are currently positioned, the ability to only use the 45 degree option when I wanted to, and the placement of the cant locking lever allowed more room on my rail for my bags.

Interesting

Reactions: Space Jam Darimon
I run mostly Atlas Bipods but would love an MDT Cyke pod but I haven’t run in to a situation where I felt like I needed one yet. I also have some Harris Bipods on older rifles that I shoot from time to time. I don’t think there is anything wrong with Harris. They deploy easy and are stabile. But I do like the additional flexibility that the Atlas gives you. I haven’t noticed any bipod hop with either platform but the biggest caliber rifle I shoot is 300 win mag. If you aren’t competing, there probably isn’t a real reason to switch unless you want to.

@granite wagon Dave Thomas @Feniks Technologies did a quick rundown in this podcast episode.

Lots of people like the Atlas cal bipod. I have one of those. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a knock off. @Kasey is Atlas and is good people.

If you like the Harris style check out the Thunderbeast bipod.

Hearing some good things about accutac but haven't seen or used one.

On the Harris bipod the sheet metal isn't always square. That can cause problems. Frank (the HMFIC here) has talked about that before.

Few things Harris wont do that were deal breakers for me:

45 degree legs forward (if Im shooting bench, this is the most common position for me)

Legs will only deploy in one direction. From what I remember I had to have it mounted so that the legs folded backwards, to deploy forward. If I wanted to mount it the other way around, when I loaded down on the bipod, I risked folding the legs in on themselves back into the storage position. Might have been the other way around, but either way it was stupid considering how many other bipods dont have this issue.

Tension adjustment knob sucked. No other way to describe it.

All of the above moved me into an Atlas PSR. I love that one.

I did recently buy another rifle that I think would benefit from a beefier setup over, so this week I added an Accu-tac FC4 G2 as well. Its got a super wide stance and the leg deployment method (pull down and move) is pretty simple. I do still think Atlas has the better rubber feet overall but this bipod is built like a tank.

Accu-tac:
2PWoX3t.jpg

OLWQBqK.jpg

overall depends on the gear and style of shooting you do. I want pan AND cant on mine, so I had specific models I preferred from both B&T and Accu-tac, I dont think you can go wrong with either, depending on the style of shooting you do.

the atlas quick detach bipods use the ADM mounts, and they are awesome. Very well built. However, the Accu-tac's quick detach engages 3 rail slots on the picatinny, you really cant be more "overbuilt" than that, and I love that idea.

I've had Harris, all the atlas models, 2 accutac models, now a tbac and have used the ckye pod. I won't go anywhere past the tbac. The tbac is by far my favorite bipod.

The Harris pods work. The knock off Harris’s will fall apart. So if you want to use Harris just spend the coin on the Harris and bypass the $40 look alike. I’ve owned the Knockoffs along with 5 Harris bipods and it took many many years of use before I had a nut come loose and a leg come off the Harris. They work but not the best for reasons listed above

I currently use Atlas Cal Gen II and TBAC on my rifles. I honestly still haven’t decided which is my favorite.

The Atlas is just a work horse of bipods. Very robust and paired with hawk hill talons it’s a beast

The TBAC is closer in resemblance to the Harris. Faster to deploy as the legs aren’t locked when folded. Also nicer to adjust one handed for height since they are spring loaded.

I use my bipods a lot in dirt like corn/farm fields for hunting purposes. The one thing the atlas shines on over the TBAC is the way the legs extend

With the atlas the notched extension is inside the upper portion of the leg. Where the TBAC it extends out of the bottom. See pic below for what I’m referencing

With the atlas you can extend and not worry about getting dirt and mud on the extension then retracting it inside the leg. You could essentially put the atlas in a couple inches of mud and retract the extension without issue

The TBAC extension out of the bottom deployed in the same dirt or mud will draw that dirt inside the leg if you collapse while on the ground or don’t wipe it off. A few times I’ve had to let the bipod dry out and spring the legs open a few times repeatedly to take the grit out of the leg

I know this isn’t a X vs Y thread but if you purchase a $300-$400 bipod just some things to consider
B343299F-CEBE-49E0-BA17-490786E9182E.jpeg

I've had all the major players, some good, some not so good.
Someone gave me one of these and honestly the damn things are pretty nice, full 180* pivot with 45* stops in both directions and mount to mlok.
Surprisingly solid too....color me shocked.

Reactions: Emmanuel of Arms
I've been highly impressed with both my LRA bipods. I have both the Light Tactical and the Ultralight Scout bipods. The specs for the heights on the Euro Optic website for both of them are inaccurate. My Ultralight goes from 6" minimum height with the legs at 60 degrees down from horizontal, to a maximum of 9" at 90 degrees with legs extended, so pretty much equivalent to the common Harris 6-9" offering as far as height goes. Where the Ultralight really shines over the Harris is the greatly improved stability of its wider stance that puts the barrel centerline within the geometric triangle of the legs. The Light Tactical is a little bigger and has a minimum height of 6.5" at 60 degrees down from horizontal to an extended max of 11" at 90 degrees. Both bipods exhibit essentially zero torque hop when shot back to back with a Harris. Shooting 175gr pills out of my old 14 pound .308 would have the right leg of the Harris lifting off the ground every shot. With either LRA bipod, its just a straight back recoil impulse and I can watch my hits in real time on painted steel at 600 yards through the scope.

My available leg positions on both are 30, 60, and 90 degrees. The Euro Optic website says 0, 45, and 90 degrees. The cant swings 15 degrees from center left and right, and it locks up very tight as the clamping surface area is noticeably larger than most other high end bipods.

I kind of got my Ultralight Scout bipod by accident, as I bought it used and the original owner thought he was selling a Light Tactical. After using it, I was very impressed at its stability and strength for it being labeled as Ultralight. It doesn't give up much at all to its Light Tactical bigger brother other than 2 more inches of max height.

For field use the Harris BRMS 6-9 leaves a lot to be desired, maybe 10 years ago it was the go to but now there are far better options.

For field use the Harris BRMS 9-13 is a far better option.

I had a Harris for over a decade. One day at the range someone let me monkey around with his Atlas even let me shoot a few rounds with it. I bought an Atlas that afternoon. No hop, stays put, quality . And I’m a cheap bastard, but once I felt and shot with it I was sold.
Which model did he have and what did you end up buying?

I had a Harris for over a decade. One day at the range someone let me monkey around with his Atlas even let me shoot a few rounds with it. I bought an Atlas that afternoon. No hop, stays put, quality . And I’m a cheap bastard, but once I felt and shot with it I was sold.
Me too minus the part of owning a Harris. I'm a newbie and decided to get into precision Shooting after hanging with my Nephew and Brother at the Range. Nephew had a few friends with him - long story short, there were a number of nice bipods and rifles and scopes and calibers I got to try and the Atlas BT10 is what I bought when I started and have not had any reason to change in 4 years or so. The Harris jumps on me and is too loosy goosy for me.

VooDoo

Sorry for the late response, I played with the

BT46-LW17 PSR Atlas Bipod: Standard height with adm lever…​

and that’s what I bought. You can turn a knob and lock down the pan and tilt if you want..also got a slight discount for going thru the company as they offer a Military discount (retired)

Tate Streater has been beating people with fancy bipods for years, if you’re bored you can switch but I don’t think you’re going to gain much if anything.

There are MANY people who shoot noticeably better with an upgraded bipod. Thats not an argument that is countered by "one guy beats a ton of people using the same bipod he's shot with since he was a kid".

Aside from that, I would argue that the military's contract with Atlas is an admission that there's something to gain by using it, over the harris.

Reactions: 308pirate
There are MANY people who shoot noticeably better with an upgraded bipod. Thats not an argument that is countered by "one guy beats a ton of people using the same bipod he's shot with since he was a kid".

Aside from that, I would argue that the military's contract with Atlas is an admission that there's something to gain by using it, over the harris.
I switched back from two atlas to two Harris adjusting an atlas on the clock is a joke

I switched back from two atlas to two Harris adjusting an atlas on the clock is a joke
well then there's the issue isn't it?

Not everyone is using this in a match. If you're adjusting it when time matters, I'm sure theres quicker options.

Warne, MDT, Accu-tac, Thunderbeast all have quick deploy options for the legs, quicker than atlas and likely all still better than a harris.

Last edited:

Wouldn't that be an issue with their fundamentals then?

I'd also point out (that I'm sure many people know already) that a lot more factors go into awarding a military contract than just what is the "best".

Wouldn't that be an issue with their fundamentals then?

I'd also point out (that I'm sure many people know already) that a lot more factors go into awarding a military contract than just what is the "best".

Valid point, but the Atlas Bipod wasn't a "standard issue" item for the entire military.

Look at who the contract was for if you need clarification of what it is better at.

"A BIPOD IS SELECTED FOR THE USSOCOM SNIPER RIFLE SYSTEM"

The argument that its strictly fundamentals is like saying, the best tradesman can rely only on hand tools, and wouldnt benefit from a torque wrench either.

Torque wrenches came to be used because even the most experienced assemblers on the line couldnt consistently deliver the same torque (fatigue, repetition, injury, stress, etc).

If a better tool for the job exists, then why wouldn't you use it?

if it eliminates common issues, then its also sound that someone who has fundamentals down, would stand to benefit from a better bipod even more, not vice versa.

Atlas bipod guys- 2022 still using “cool story bro” upgraded bipods but not scores or burns.

You're so witty

Tell us, why do you care why others use something other than Harris? Are you that insecure?

Valid point, but the Atlas Bipod wasn't a "standard issue" item for the entire military.

Look at who the contract was for if you need clarification of what it is better at.

"A BIPOD IS SELECTED FOR THE USSOCOM SNIPER RIFLE SYSTEM"

The argument that its strictly fundamentals is like saying, the best tradesman can rely only on hand tools, and wouldnt benefit from a torque wrench either.

Torque wrenches came to be used because even the most experienced assemblers on the line couldnt consistently deliver the same torque (fatigue, repetition, injury, stress, etc).

If a better tool for the job exists, then why wouldn't you use it?

if it eliminates common issues, then its also sound that someone who has fundamentals down, would stand to benefit from a better bipod even more, not vice versa.
I hear you. A year ago I'd have agreed that since USSOCOM made the selection then it'd be hands down better but based on experience now I'm don't think that argument holds water. Granted my experience isn't specific to weapon systems so maybe you're right.

My thoughts is that and Atlas bipod is more analogous to a digital torque wrench than torque wrenches specifically. the digital torque wrench makes the jobs easier sure however if the tradesman doesn't have the fundamental knowledge of how to read an engr drawing then it's kind of moot. Basically it's a nice to have but not specifically needed and, continuing with your metaphor, is not going to make one a better tradesman.

Last edited:
You're so witty

Tell us, why do you care why others use something other than Harris? Are you that insecure?
I just hate watching somebody else go through hundreds of dollars only to go back to a 100 dollar bipod, but to each their own.

I hear you. A year ago I'd have agreed that since USSOCOM made the selection then it'd be hands down better but based on experience now I'm don't think that argument holds water. Granted my experience isn't specific to weapon systems so maybe you're right.

My thoughts is that and Atlas bipod is more analogous to a digital torque wrench than torque wrenches specifically. the digital torque wrench makes the jobs easier sure however if the tradesman doesn't have the fundamental knowledge of how to read an engr drawing then it's kind of moot. Basically it's a nice to have but not specifically needed and, continuing with your metaphor, is not going to make one a better tradesman.
The lack of different leg angles on a harris (either open or closed) vs all of the other options available with an Atlas (or many others), I think is a critical difference. A digital torque wrench is easier to use, but it doesnt really provide any extra functionality that a regular torque wrench doesnt offer.

Most guys learning to shoot starting out are on a concrete or wooden bench, seated. At 100 yards a legs straight down average height bipod is too tall for most targets at my range (or any other outdoor range I've ever been to). Not having 45 degree forward means you would end up using unorthodox (incorrect) methods to correct for it anyway, learning incorrect fundamentals in the first place (having to overcompensate with the rear bag etc).

I think the newer bipods are absolutely a (better) precision tool.

I just hate watching somebody else go through hundreds of dollars only to go back to a 100 dollar bipod, but to each their own.
I dont think that really applies. Just because you didnt like them, the majority of the remaining shooter base doesnt automatically apply the same preference.

Similarly, I like MDT chassis systems but Im not going to sit here and pretend that everyone who also owns one and tries an MPA or KRG will automatically go back to an MDT after.

Here's a better analogy for you

Atlas: Atlas-Copco Tensor DC nutrunner with five different torque/angle control strategies, ± 1% accuracy

Harris: Harbor Freight chinese sweat shop beam wrench with faded scale and ± 10% accuracy

I know how to read prints. Which one would I buy?

I ran a Harris on my Rem 700 5R .308 deer gun for those times I took it to the range instead of my chassis mounted target gun which runs an Atlas CAL.

My Harris was the OG, mount to the sling swivel, type with a Pod Loc added by me.

My issues with this bipod is that it was almost impossible to keep the mounting tight enough to preclude the bipod rotating out of alignment a bit (yawing a bit) with shooting. Also, had to really honk on the Pod Loc to tighten it down and frankly I thought it was almost useless before adding the Pod Loc. And yeah, it bounced pretty good and I could see that in the shift of POA after the shot.

So, I pulled the sling mounts out of the HS stock and put a small piece of picatinny (with hard sling mount point). Came from Seekings and was perfect. Two screws, one goes in the round hole while there is a small slot for the second screw to take care of small alignment issues. Then, I put an RRS BTC-Pro clamp on it so can switch from Pic rail to ARCA on chassis gun.

I just did this and it was actually a bit balmy this past Mon so I took it to a local 100 yd range just to get outside and make some noise.

I'm no bench rest, five thru a bug hole, shooter. But, I def felt the gun was more controlled, my groups improved, and I stayed on target better (but this gun still jumps a bit on me...well more than the heavier chassis gun....something for me to continue to work on).

So, this is my personal experience and I'm happy with the changes I have made and plan to sell the Harris.

Cheers

The lack of different leg angles on a harris (either open or closed) vs all of the other options available with an Atlas (or many others), I think is a critical difference. A digital torque wrench is easier to use, but it doesnt really provide any extra functionality that a regular torque wrench doesnt offer.

Most guys learning to shoot starting out are on a concrete or wooden bench, seated. At 100 yards a legs straight down average height bipod is too tall for most targets at my range (or any other outdoor range I've ever been to). Not having 45 degree forward means you would end up using unorthodox (incorrect) methods to correct for it anyway, learning incorrect fundamentals in the first place (having to overcompensate with the rear bag etc).

I think the newer bipods are absolutely a (better) precision tool.
Ah ok I see your point now. Focusing on the functionality of the bipod vs this is what X people use is an argument I can get behind. The bit about applying incorrect fundamentals rings home lol that was me for the longest time.

Here's a better analogy for you

Atlas: Atlas-Copco Tensor DC nutrunner with five different torque/angle control strategies, ± 1% accuracy

Harris: Harbor Freight chinese sweat shop beam wrench with faded scale and ± 10% accuracy

I know how to read prints. Which one would I buy?
The engineer in me would respond with "Well it depends on what you want to do". Most tradesmen do not need the features of the nutrunner and it would absolutely be a waste of resources to get it. Granted, getting something a bit higher quality that the harbor freight wrench would probably serve them well.

But I see what you mean.

Ah ok I see your point now. Focusing on the functionality of the bipod vs this is what X people use is an argument I can get behind. The bit about applying incorrect fundamentals rings home lol that was me for the longest time.

The engineer in me would respond with "Well it depends on what you want to do". Most tradesmen do not need the features of the nutrunner and it would absolutely be a waste of resources to get it. Granted, getting something a bit higher quality that the harbor freight wrench would probably serve them well.

But I see what you mean.
I guess if your bipods holding you back give it hell lol but I bet it doesn’t fix your problem I guess I’ve never been on the range and missed and said damn bipod lol.