• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipods - worth the extra money?

billythewop

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2019
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to Long Range shooting - I've got a harris bipod currently (couldn't tell you which model) - it seems to do just fine - just wondering if there are any advantages to buying a higher end bipod? or should I just run what I got?

I'll say try someone else's first if you can. I tried and owned just about everything but I still like the simplicity of the harris best.

Others will say it's the biggest pos they ever laid eyes on. Use what works best for you.

I'll say try someone else's first if you can. I tried and owned just about everything but I still like the simplicity of the harris best.

Others will say it's the biggest pos they ever laid eyes on. Use what works best for you.
I like the idea of being able to lay the legs forward if that makes sense - and I don't think my harris can do that.

If you are new, I wouldn't worry too much about jumping into a new bipod unless you want to spend some money.

There are certainly much better bipod's than the Harris, but bipods in a way are pretty mission specific. So it's hard to recommend any one bipod.

The Ckye-pod is an excellent field bipod, though perhaps overkill for other applications. TBAC and Atlas are pretty darn good general purpose use bipods. LRA makes great bipods for square range/F-Class/ELR purposes. Elite Iron makes a great bipod, people like them on their ELR rigs. Some people really like Accu-Tac (though it's not to my personal preference).

Reactions: John Glidewell
Ive had atlas bipods on all my rifles a time or two but always end up selling them and going back to harris

I’ve used atlas, Harris, TBAC, ggg and accutac. They all do the same thing in the long run. I have had the nut come off the leg holding the Harris on while hunting which sucked but other than that no issues. If you search you’ll see preferences for the better bipods when it comes to being squared up to the rifle or loading the bipods

I will say I hate swivel attachment on the Harris. They loosen and just suck. Fine for hunting rifle but long term use I prefer the picatinny QD.

Currently own a TBAC, Atlas Cal Gen 2 and about 5 Harris bipods. My preference for design and overall robustness goes to the atlas cal which is my #1 choice. I have hawk hill talons for feet on that

Like I said Harris isn’t bad. But I’d pic up a atlas cal before sticking the money into a Harris to make it picatinny QD. I’d really like the TBAC but the design allows dirt on the legs when extended to get pulled back inside the outer legs when collapsing. Then you end up firing them open a few times to clean them out. Atlas can be dropped in a corn field with 3” of mud and not effect the function whatsoever

I’d avoid the atlas with the rotating feet and panning feature if you upgrade. Atlas BT10 V8 I think that one is

Reactions: kthomas
Atlas psr and cal are worth the money. I’m not spending 500-600 on a bipod.

Reactions: XP1K
I throttled through a lot of bipods and the Atlas Super CAL with ski feet attachments stopped me in my tracks! I no longer subscribe to loading the bipods because while some are able to to it consistently, I have an extra chromosome in that regard.

I shoot with no bipod load, focus on keeping the rifle straight back into my shoulder and let the rifle flow back with the ski feet upon recoil. This technique gives me the best groups ever. My Super CAL is on A419 QD ARCA mount and gets put on everything.

Ckye pod is absolutely the most versatile bipod on the market. Accutac is the sturdiest most bomb proof. I've got a cheap caldwell on a rifle and it does the job but the amount of adjustment of a ckyepod is unparalleled.

Reactions: todd
A Harris with a couple of upgrades is adequate - here's a thread I wrote in three years ago but its content still stands. A bone-stock Harris, with its floppy sling swivel mount and slippery cant lock (if equipped with cant) is pretty bad. There are many threads about different bipods. I am still content with my Atlas BT65-NC with RRS ARCA adapter, although I might look for a an Accu-Tac or Ckyepod on Black Friday sale later this year. I still take my upgraded Harris to matches in case I need a narrow-footprint support, but the Atlas is on duty 99+ percent of the time.

The preceding comment - if you don't know why you're buying a piece of equipment, you shouldn't but it - is spot on. A Harris can definitely get the job done competently. Other bipods can give you more options - at higher cost.

Do some research and make a choice - good luck!

Reactions: diverdon
I think an atlas CAL is absolutely worth the little bit more money. Once you add a pod lock and pic adapter to the cost of a Harris, you’re basically there for a CAL.

Beyond that, I think you should get more general experience shooting and with other bipods before you jump into the $450 - $800+ options.

Nothing wrong with a Harris. Used a BRM-S, 6-9" notched legs w/ swivel, for years and still do. Used to use them attached to a sling swivel and they never loosened when tightened down. I use them on ARCA now. Also a KMW Pod Loc has always been on them. Makes adjusting swivel simple.

As mentioned try others before buying. I tried Atlas and not a fan but many like them. Also have a Ckyepod which I do like. Just find what works for you.

Reactions: todd
Search for the topic and you will see why so many have a negative opinion of Harris.

This being said, I would continue to use the Harris until you have been doing this for a bit. Try other brands when you get the opportunity and determine what works best for you and then follow that lead
This ^^

I feel they are well worth it . going from bags piled up to hold the gun upright and wobbling all over the place to a nice solid I can let go of the gun and get back on and the gun still be pointed at the same spot as it was was and is great . now are they or any of them worth the cost as things are today I doubt it everything related to guns and fire arms have had there prices launched into space but If I wanted a cheap hobby I would have taken to leaf collecting or pottery .

Run what you have until you determine it is costing you points in a match, then upgrade as necessary to solve that particular problem. A Harris will do fine for a while.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I'm not a big fan of the harris, it works and is fast but when there's so many much better options, I'd just rather have one of those. Tbac is my fave all around and for field (i have leg extensions for it too) if I'm prone or shooting on a bench, the wider Accu-Tac's are unparalleled. For straight PRS the CKYE is top dog.

Atlas is also a good all around bipod but I'm not a huge fan of how the legs extension releases. If I were you, I'd get a Tbac or an Atlas for my first quality bipod, unless you shoot mostly prone amd bench, then just get one of the wider accu tacs. If you can try the Tbac, Atlas, and Accu tac, that would be a good idea.

Last edited:
I like the fact that my Harris can fold the legs so quickly. I actually prefer it for prs shooting bc I can snap the legs open/closed so quickly.

I do have an atlas CAL that I love. It’s way sturdier and has more adjustment. The only thing I don’t like about it is the fact that the legs can take a bit to open/close on the clock.

He means when stored they fold forward.

567F2B92-CBA4-4072-8702-BC7BF5BAF2DE.jpeg

Reactions: Hegre
One of the best things they ever did for the Harris besides the cant was the leg notches. The old Harris bipods compared to the new ones (last 10 years or whatever) are night and day. No more leg collapses while shooting with it partially extended and no more cussing the little bugger out when the leg collapses on your skin while pushing the button to collapse it

If you’re a fan of the leg notched Harris then the best upgrade is the TBAC. They share several things like the deploying legs with a simple pull down and extending with the push of a button to needed height.

Was farther back than 10 years. That bipod in the pic above is almost 20 years old and notched legs. The notched legs were a great addition. They spring out too and not pull in like the friction locks.

Was farther back than 10 years. That bipod in the pic above is almost 20 years old and notched legs. The notched legs were a great addition. They spring out too and not pull in like the friction locks.
Yup now I feel a lot older. I have a 9-13 and 13-27 or whatever those were in the previous models. No cant or notches. Bought before the cant/notch came about. Also have the 6-9, 9-13 and 13-27” with those features. The pod loc is a must with the Harris as well

Reactions: GhostFace
Yeah I dumped all the ones I had without those features. The BRM-S was it for me. That tape and padding on the Pod Loc is left over from a time where we made sling shots in matches. Lol

Here’s a pic from that long ago time around 2004 at ASC. Same bipod. Rockin’ the electronic level too before they were cool. Lol

0CF46ACD-9E34-4225-8FDC-EA7E90A67C69.jpeg
AD7230BA-663E-43A9-A860-0817BAE7858B.jpeg

I've had harris, atlas psr and tbac. Currently tbac is my favorite so far. Quick deploy and rotating the legs 45° is cake with very minimal practice. Atlas was a pita on the clock. I enjoy how the harris and tbac legs extend. Very easy to do one hand. Atlas is one hand op too but less easy to me.

Reactions: Rob01
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to Long Range shooting - I've got a harris bipod currently (couldn't tell you which model) - it seems to do just fine - just wondering if there are any advantages to buying a higher end bipod? or should I just run what I got?
I like how quick the Harris is to deploy but that’s about it. I currently run Atlas Cal’s on all rifles. They’re extremely well built, don’t break the bank and I like a adjustability options. Being able to kick the legs out front at a 45* and adjust height from there.

My own limited experience - started with a Harris. Liked some things, didn't like others. Eventually got a Magpul, Atlas Cal, Warne Skyline, TBAC, and the wide footprint Accutac. I have personal likes and dislikes with each but I would say it ultimately boils down to I like different ones for different things.

What I dislike the most about each one since people have already talked about what they like.
Magpul - too much flex and wobble
Harris - always shoots worse groups for me with the same gun/ammo
Atlas - I don't like how the legs lengthen or shorten
TBAC - the feet spin when loading the bipod for me
Warne - Pan and cant are both built into one ball adjustment and it's hard to properly tighten or loosen on the fly using their built in adjustment
Accutac - Don't like pulling out on the legs to move them into position

Don't own a MDT bipod right now and having only tried one briefly, but I don't think it did anything betterer enough for me to justify the cost or the relative complexity of use and deployment.

Reactions: spife7980
I will probably end up buying a TBAC at some point, but I like my pimped-out Harris BRMS with added Pod-Loc, RRS ARCA/Pic adapter, and Hawk Hill Talons/JKL Precision covers... 97% of the time it does everything I need it to, fast, with no drama. That means rocks, hoods, helos, tires, pipes, you name it. The fact that it's so simple and intuative to use makes up for the limited number of tricks it'll do most times. I upgraded it here and there while learning to really shoot, and it sort of gained more skills and performance as needed.

For the other 3% of the time, when I need something fancier... I borrow a Ckye-Pod from somebody lol.

I don't care as much as some do about performance off a bench or prone these days, and try to spend less and less of my time doing that... but if I did spend a lot of time bench/prone, then I might go for an Atlas CAL/Super CAL or maybe one of those big/wide Accu-Tacs since a Harris can't really match the wide stance and rigidity those (including the TBAC) are born with.

I stuck with a Harris for years, only just upgraded to a Tier One ATAC (basically a CkyePod) as I was finally starting to run ARCA rails on everything.

I always told myself I'd only upgrade the Harris once I started dropping points in matches because of it.
Well there were a few instances where a Ckyepod would've come in handy and maybe made a difference to my match results, so decided it was time to upgrade.

The upgrade was 100% worth it but I still like the old Harris.
So long as it's the notched model then I'd keep using it until it holds you back.

Personally I find the 6-9" model mostly useless outside of a bench, the 9-13" is far more versatile.

I have an extra chromosome in that regard.
Admitting is the first step in the process. I applaude you, you giant retard.

Back on topic. "Yes". Quality bipods arw worth the extra coin. I have experienced it first hand.

I'm still a Harris fan. It's my go too.

I don't bling them out either. Only thing I've done is added a ARCA mount to 1 of my 9-13s.

Pod Lok is unnecessary. I just crank the adjustment knob down with my Leatherman until it's stiff to move. No unnecessary movement, and no fumbling trying to unlock and lock it down between positions. It never moves once I set it.

I have a cyke pod for matches. It does amazing things. It's complex though, which is why I rarely use it for hunting or bench shooting.

I ran a Harris w/ a RRS arca clamp on it for a few years. Damn clamp cost almost as much as the bipod, but was worth it. Upgraded to an Atlas CAL w/ arca and spike feet last year and that’s become my go-to bipod.

I’m on the fence about the Cyke Pod. Part of me cringes at paying that much for a bipod, but crow tastes bad so never say never. However if I do get one I’d probably get the double pull since it offers more utility than what the single pull brings to the table. One of the ranges I shoot at everything is uphill, and every now and then I’ve run into situations where I need more height.

Harris bipods are great lightweight field bipods for the money. For precision shooting, a bipod having the apex point of the leg geometry above the barrel axis will greatly improve stability through the recoil cycle to help you spot your hits/misses in real time. I have never been able to do that with the narrow stance of a Harris.

If Harris or another 3rd party came out with the means to combine the fast deployment of Harris legs with a wider stance like the Atlas Cal and LRA bipods, it would be a fast seller for sure.

Harris bipods are great lightweight field bipods for the money. For precision shooting, a bipod having the apex point of the leg geometry above the barrel axis will greatly improve stability through the recoil cycle to help you spot your hits/misses in real time. I have never been able to do that with the narrow stance of a Harris.

If Harris or another 3rd party came out with the means to combine the fast deployment of Harris legs with a wider stance like the Atlas Cal and LRA bipods, it would be a fast seller for sure.
SakoLeft by Christopher Garrett, on Flickr

IMO it breaks down like this.

For Dynamic/Field/PRS :
1. Ckyepod
2. TBAC
3. Atlas
4. Accutac
5. Harris
6. Elite Iron
7. Phoenix

For Stationary/ELR/Old fuck shooting

1. Elite Iron
2. Phoenix
3. Accutac
4. TBAC
5. Ckyepod
6. Atlas
7. Harris

There are other bipods out there like the grndpod, evolution, KAC, Warne, GG&G ,ect but they are all niche or garbage so not worth considering. Saw 2 grndpods blow up at matches so far this year, stay far away.

Reactions: ELCO82
IMO it breaks down like this.

For Dynamic/Field/PRS :
1. Ckyepod
2. TBAC
3. Atlas
4. Accutac
5. Harris
6. Elite Iron
7. Phoenix

For Stationary/ELR/Old fuck shooting

1. Elite Iron
2. Phoenix
3. Accutac
4. TBAC
5. Ckyepod
6. Atlas
7. Harris

There are other bipods out there like the grndpod, evolution, KAC, Warne, GG&G ,ect but they are all niche or garbage so not worth considering. Saw 2 grndpods blow up at matches so far this year, stay far away.
Great list. My only question is why LRA isn't on any of your lists. I use Accutac and LRA and they are both great bipods.

One thing nobody seems to have touched on is the bipod height. Not sure if this is relevant to your type of shooting.

I started with harris friction lock 6-9" bipods, switched to swivel/notched legs with pod loc when they came out.
I got used to the height of the Harris bipod when shooting off a bench/prone.

When i stared testing other bipods, most of them were too tall for me.
Atlas CAL is very close to the harris height & works. Elite Iron gets me the lower & taller than the Harris, which works best for me & my wife.

Like everyone already said, try some before you buy them.

Reactions: Rob01
I throttled through a lot of bipods and the Atlas Super CAL with ski feet attachments stopped me in my tracks! I no longer subscribe to loading the bipods because while some are able to to it consistently, I have an extra chromosome in that regard.

I shoot with no bipod load, focus on keeping the rifle straight back into my shoulder and let the rifle flow back with the ski feet upon recoil. This technique gives me the best groups ever. My Super CAL is on A419 QD ARCA mount and gets put on everything.

Same here. The S-CAL goes on everytime that I’m doing load dev or shooting for groups. I use the RRS dual ARCA/Picatinny adapter on mine so it goes on all of my rifles

• Love
Reactions: FredHammer
I follow my own path and make offbeat selections. This bipod is my choice, and is a standard part of my AR setup. It is available in other lengths, as well. Because I needed several, I kept my choices to ones that cost well below three figures. Because this mount keeps the bottom of the forend clear, it permits the rifle to perform as a bag rider, too.

Greg

Last edited: