• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bipods

steve marshall

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2006
grafton nh
I'd like to get a bipod that is sturdier than the Harris I had. I'm not likely to shoot competition anytime soon just shooting to relax. The rifle does not want a $1600 bipod. Are there different grade Harris bipods? Are there other brands that are better but at a reasonable price? My position shooting has gone south and I'd prefer not to use a bench.

Re: bipods

The Canadian ski bipod is excellent. Trying it at the moment and I am confident it will replace the AI bipods on my AI rifles.

David

Depends what you want a bipod for I guess, the Rempel one is more stable than Harris or AI or Parker Hale, I know I thave them....with various pod-locks to take out the tilt as well. However the Rempel one is more target orientated (F Class). I think for my bipod use it will replace the others almost all the time (I don`t plan on doing much run and gun with an AW50)......I just wish it would fold down smaller however it is possible to carry in the large pocket of an Arktis drag bag.

The quick detach system is well thought out on the Rempel one also.

I thought it may interest the OP with the criteria he laid out.

If you want compact, Atlas is hard to beat.
They are also more adjustable and stronger than Harris.

I'm working on a prototype that takes care of the problems I have with my Harris in the conditions I shoot.
If it works out, I could lighten it up for F class.
First Gen not made to carry, only prove concepts.

I understand what you are saying about F Class. I too have got (and use) Atlas, Harris and Parker Hale/AI types.

IMHO the Atlas and then the PH/AI are the most flexible - I use them on my AW from 100yds to 1000yds, either with a rear bag or AccuPod ASAI.

The Harris is my least favourite by a long way, despite being one of the swivel versions with a PodLock - just a personal opinion.

If I needed anything steadier I'd be looking at a PRS Mini Tripod - light and easy to carry

BB, is there any 'suspension' in the Atlas design? I ask as one of the adavatages of the PH over the Harris is that it moves back and does not bounce under recoil. The Rempel bipod also mover directly back by virtue of the ski feet. At the moment it is on my AI 308, what I have noticed with it I prefer using a rear bag (Rob Hunter type) than the AI rear pod which I have used for years.

I still use a Manfrotto 055 NAT3 tripod with the QD plate a fair bit....wish it had a suspension system and was lighter (carbon) though.

Just a thought for the OP, Sinclair also do a 'F Class' type bipod that is cheaper than the Rempel one (200USD), but the Rempel one is very reasonbably priced for the quality 450cd - 300GBP.

The Atlas has both pan and cant movement in it but, unlike the PH/AI, there is a screw adjuster that can be used to regulate how tight/loose it is.

I've had no hop problems from it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">harris 6-9 swiveling or 9-13 has always been my fav </div></div>

+1
Best Value for the money