• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Birdsong Finish? Heard of it?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I had emailed Warner Tool about the build im going to have done by them and I told them I wanted all the metal Cerakoted Flat Dark Earth and they said to think about Birdsong. Whats Birdsong? I never heard of it.

The guy at Warner Tool said its (Birdsong) is much more durable than Cerakote and no dimensional change to interferer with the bedding and cost about the same.

I tried to google it and came up with nothing.
Have any of you guys heard of this? I havnt.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Anyone have any pics of their rifle coated in Birdsong? FDE??</span>

Re: Birdsong Finish? Heard of it?

Yes, it is an awesome finish. He does and did a lot of military contracts and law enforcement work. Walter passed away about a year ago. They still continue do the work at Walter's shop. It can be a long wait. Walter never use to advertise his work. It was always by word of mouth. I think there is a website now.

Walter was a great guy to talk with on the phone. He love to meet new people and love to spend quality time on the phone with customers.

May I recommend looking into Tungsten DLC? It's the coating found on Sigarms stainless steel pistol slides. PHENOMENAL thin film, performance coating. It's also better than the rest of the coatings offered on the market, too.

Oh, Ionbond is the company that does the coatings.

I've had countless rifles and handguns coated in Birdsong "Black-T". It's my favorite finish. Several firearms manufacturers and custom builders used Birdsong's finishes on their production pieces. He used to offer a discount on LE and Mil work nd would often move a "working gun" ahead in line to get it back as soon as possible. I was quite saddened to hear of Walter's death, but I'm thrilled his son is continuing the business.

longrange30,
Birdsong finishes work very well for what they are intended to do. Your choices are black, green and FDE. They had a tan but it was supposedly difficult to deal with - not sure they use it still. The finish provides corrosion resistance as well as having an inherent lubricity and goes on thin enough to not interfere dramatically with close tolerances. If you want to see what FDE looks like, see my post about my .375CT - the metal was done using their FDE. It is more green to my eye than the cerakote. We have alot of our pistols done with their finish and have no complaints. Al and Dan do great work by the way.

I'm sorry to hear of Walters passing. He was a neat ol' guy to talk to. I've had several informal off topic conversations with him when I would call to inquire about having some work done. Definitely one of the "good guys"!
Steve

I checked the Birdsong Website and see they have these for color choices on their order form.

Black-T
Geen-T
Desert Tan
Dark Earth
Two-Tone (combo)

Im going to go with the DARK EARTH finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chui</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I recommend looking into Tungsten DLC? It's the coating found on Sigarms stainless steel pistol slides. PHENOMENAL thin film, performance coating. It's also better than the rest of the coatings offered on the market, too.

Oh, Ionbond is the company that does the coatings. </div></div>

Not every gunsmith has a plasma coater sitting around . . .