• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Birmingham lathes

ugsly

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2005
Oregon Linn County
Has anyone heard much about the birmingham YCL-1440GH lathe or had a chance to run any of them? Ive looked around and cant find much info on em. I know they're made in china but it looks to be a decent built lathe. It seems about the best one I can find in that price range for a gear head 14x40. Any suggestions or comments guys? Please only serious posts.

Kc

Re: Birmingham lathes

They're made by the same company that makes the Lathe for Grizzly. Look at the G4003G that Grizzly offers. For an entry level Gunsmithing Lathe it's GTG.

I own and have been using that exact lathe for several years. Mine was manufactured in Tiawan. It is repeatable and accurate. The only complaint I have is the cam lock tailstocks that come with these imports. I had to make a jig that I C-clamp behind the tailstock to insure it does not move while drilling and reaming. I am in the market to get a vertical mill and if I can't fine a good Bridgeport for the same price as a new Birmingham...well I will be buying another Birmingham machine.

BR

I was faced with the same situation. I found some Birminghams. To make a long story short, the shipping on an old south bend was almost as much as having a chinese (new) lathe sitting on my door step. Granted some chinese machines have their problems, but I went that route. The Birminghams I found were in reasonable shape but like I said, getting it here was a mojor expense. Good luck on your search. FWIW, the chinese ones are better than they used to be : ), I hope.

Someone who imports both the birmingham and the Jet, tells me they are the same lathe.

I am sure some had already guessed that:)

All China lathes are not the same, just as all made in China screwdrivers and saw blades are not the same quality. Some are much better then ones that "look" the same. Remember they are all China built (cheapened) copies of good lathes built in Europe or here. That said, I've been disappointed in all China lathes that I've owned and ran. Taiwan built lathes are generally much better but until you get into a over $10,000 bare bones model Ken, Lux, Sharp, etc., they don't have the precision that I would need to do a precision chamber to match the quality of our custom barrels and match bullets.

If you must try one of these "cheap" newer, lathes just look for a used one and let the first owner take the terrible depreciation deduction.........

Honestly i would look for an older lathe that is well looked after that you spend the same on as a new cheeper type lathe. The older US or English lathes are realy hard to beet make sure you have a big enough head stock diameter and that the bed is long enough. Also check that it has not been crashed running the toolholder into the chuck and you have the steady, 3jaw and 4 jaw chuck and the barings are good. Also you should have the conversian gears with these to change from metric to imperial.