• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bit the 7mm-08 bullet

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
Ok I just bit the bullet and ordered a mcgowen 26" bull in 7mm-08 with a 1 in 8 twist and an 11 degree crown. What are some starting points for this cartridge.

What I have on hand:
Winchestor brass
150gr SMKs
IMR 3031
RL15
BL (C)2

What bullets are you guys running and what powders seem to work the best for your setups.

Thanks,
Merritt

Re: Bit the 7mm-08 bullet

Dude get some hornady 162 amax and forget about it.

168SMK's are kick ass pills for the 7-08 and are THE standard choice of silhouette shooters.
The 162Amax are great if you are looking to go long. but may need to be loaded a little long if you want to pick the speed up (shouldn't be a problem if your looking to barrel the stevens in your signature-don't they have more of a "medium" length action?

I will take a look at those bullets fellas thank. And the Steven is extremely long in the opening for a short action. I don't use my mag anyway is I've found it increases powder temps of my rounds waiting to be fired and I know from artillery powder temp increase is the fastest way to change point of impact.

Thanks I'll look into all suggestions,
Merritt