• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black Friday Sneak Peak – The SWFA SS AR !!

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
It’s no secret that I’m a fan of SWFA and their SS line of scopes. I’ve been lucky enough to be an early tester and reviewer of a few of their latest releases and their scopes continue to impress me. So fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I’m having a conversation with Brady at SWFA about a couple more SWFA SS Scopes that I need to buy and he tells me about some Black Friday Deals that are worth waiting for. Then he lets slip something about a special edition AR that SWFA teamed up with Seekins Precision to have produced. Well I finally convinced him to leak the specs and a couple pictures to me; suddenly I’m thinking the extra scopes can wait, I’ve just found a new use for my fun money. I already own a Seekins SP3G and it’s about the coolest AR a guy could have, but I’ve been wanting another Seekins with a round handguard for chasing coyotes and the like. I’m proud to say that I now own the two nicest AR’s imaginable. I was able, through a little groveling and the promise of an early range report, to convince Brady to release one of the Black Friday packages early…..When I opened the box, both my FFL and I were instantly impressed.

I’ll get to the specs, the range report, etc….but let’s start with the important stuff….cost. This thing is a smoking deal. I can’t say what the price will be, I’m sworn to secrecy, but let’s say that for what a similar rifle would cost you straight from Seekins Precision you’re going to get the rifle and the SWFA SS 1-6 scope ($1,000 scope). Mount is not included, you’ll need to choose your favorite, I went with the SWFA Bobro.

Now on to the rifle. SWFA and Seekins really pulled out all the stops on this thing. You can read the specs below, but I’ll throw some highlights out there. This is not simply a Seekins Rifle sold by SWFA, this is a rifle spec’d and customized for SWFA by the best AR maker out there. Glen Seekins is truly an artist and he helped SWFA really make a cool and functional rifle. So back to the highlights: Serial numbered and matched upper/lower, SWFA SS lower with the SS Eagle on it, custom SWFA styled handguard only made for SWFA (small eagle emblems on it too), SWFA Ambi Charging Handle, the list really goes on.

I love the SP3G rifle that I already owned, Glen really built a 3 gun winner with this rifle. For a general truck gun and yote chaser I always planned on ordering the Seekins CBR, it’s a little shorter due to the 16” barrel and the rounded handguard is better for shooting offhand or off of shooting sticks. The SWFA SSAR fits the bill perfectly and is pretty much the perfect all around rifle for the average joe like myself. I’ve only had the chance to get it to the range one time so far, but the accuracy is very promising. I threw together some 60 grain Vmax bullets on top of 25.5 grains of H4895 and seated to mag length. I’m sure that with a little break in and load tuning (as well as revisiting the Snipershide.com training on how to shoot a semi auto) I’ll be able to tighten up the groups even more. I’m used to shooting heavy bolt guns, that’s my cup of tea, so I can guarantee you the vertical stringing you see is me letting the gun free recoil too much. I need to drive the rifle a little better, but that’s another story. On my range trip the gun functioned and fed flawlessly, it did fail to lock back a couple times on an empty mag, but I think it was either my mag or I need to adjust the adjustable gas block for my lighter loads.

So let’s look at the value of this rifle. The Seekins CBR is $1875, using this as a base, let’s add up the SWFA add ons and their rough value.

This is the upgrade value from stock, not the full retail value:
Magpul UBR $200
Geissele 2 Stage Trigger $150
JP Silent Captured Buffer System $100
AR ATC Compensator $120
Raptor Ambi Charging Handle $50
Window Pmag $20

That’s working out to a value on the SWFA SSAR of over $2500.

Now I said that I can’t reveal the price, but I will tell you that you’re basically getting the SWFA SS HD 1-6 for free….it’s that good of a deal!

Here’s some pics of mine as well as the specs, the pics are less than stellar as my nice $200 flash decided to become a paperweight last night.
You’ll have to excuse the 3-15 scope in the pictures, I was doing load testing and was hoping to get out this weekend for a long range shot at a coyote. I’ll snap some pics with the 1-6 on it soon too.

2e3z62e.jpg

2yzaf0w.jpg

Attachments

• 3 (1280x848).jpg
    3 (1280x848).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 4 (1280x848).jpg
    4 (1280x848).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 18
  • grp.jpg
    grp.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 20
  • grp2.jpg
    grp2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 17
  • specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 29
They have the price posted already on the Black Friday deal page

Edited out link, SWFA didn't want that page public, think they are fixing it....oops.

Last edited by a moderator:
This post makes me so hard...
Looks like an amazing out of the box rifle. Just wish I had the spare cash at the moment.

Sweet!!! Looks like it's .223 Wylde. Can you shoot 5.56 out of that chambering? I could see shooting some Wylde out of it but I don't want to mess with getting into a new cal. if it'll only shoot .223 Wylde. Mixed answers on the Interwebs. Anyone know for sure?

Sweet!!! Looks like it's .223 Wylde. Can you shoot 5.56 out of that chambering? I could see shooting some Wylde out of it but I don't want to mess with getting into a new cal. if it'll only shoot .223 Wylde. Mixed answers on the Interwebs. Anyone know for sure?

The way I understand is it's kind of a hybrid 223-5.56 chamber. You can shoot both out of it.

556 dimensions are slightly larger than 223 and this is why you shouldn't shoot 556 in a 223 chamber but can shoot the smaller 223 through a 556 chamber... 223 Wylde is opened up enough to handle 556 but is closer dimensionally to a 223 so has a closer 223 dimension than 556 and providing better accuracy with 223 loads.

I want one. BTW newbie on the forum. Hi I'm snakeman, and I'm addicted to precision.

They have already posted the Black Friday Deals and Prices..

Sorry, had to kill the link, got leaked by accident and SWFA has requested it stay secret for now.

Jasonk

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, that blaster is pretty slick. The SWFA logo looks really classy on the magwell too.

No corners cut on this gun for sure.

Hey Jason, I posted about this deal this AM( http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...73-thoughts-swfa-combo-3-gun-style-setup.html )and then found your thread. How are you liking the rifle after a few months? Any idea who made the barrel? Have you done any shooting with heavier (69-77gr) loads?
I'm looking for a 3 gun/practical field match rifle. This one seems like it has a lot of good components. A couple of guys posted on my original post they thought a better gun could be built for less than the cost of the SS but when I started adding up components it seemed like a pretty good value to me. My initial idea was an 18" barreled gun which I see seekins offers but it is more expensive.
Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your experience!