• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black Hills 223 75gr match HP - fail to fire 14 out of 25

yoteduster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2011
TN
This likely more and ammo post(if there is a better forum, let me know). But did anyone pick up some of the Black Hills 223 75gr match up from Brownells back in March?

This is Redbox black hills but I finally got to the range with it today with my Rem7005R. I've never had any issue with this rifle(used a trainer) but today I had 14 failures out of 25 shots. Those that fired were typical Black hills quality with a few ragged hole groups.

Attached is a after shot case photo. The first 14 from the right are the misfires. The next 11 starting with the leaned out one fired as normal(this is not the order they were fired...but just so you can see the primers). I see no difference in the primers impacts.

But I wanted to check and see if anyone else has had a similar experience with these black hills possibly with the same lots from Brownells, maybe?

Attachments

• 20231125_182240.jpg
    20231125_182240.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Unfortunately that was all I took. So possible pin issue I guess. But never had an issue before with the rifle. I'll likely go back soon with other ammo to compare.
Going back with other ammo will tell a lot. I`ve shot any number of brands of ammo through my .223s, to include Black Hills, and the ONLY brand I`ve had any FTF with has been Frontier ( Hornady ). That ammo is (was) manufactured at Lake City. Hard primers most likely since they are loading military ammo primarily.

Reactions: yoteduster
Unfortunately that was all I took. So possible pin issue I guess. But never had an issue before with the rifle. I'll likely go back soon with other ammo to compare.
If this problem continues with other previously problem free ammo then it's an equipment problem that flared up. Firing pin spring went weak on this trainer rifle, or too much oil or grime on the firing pin or in firing pin channel slowing down the pin strike velocity.

If the other known firing ammo shoots without problem, it still might not be a total ammo fault with BH. It could be your firing pin protrusion is teetering on the short side by 3 thou and not touching off BH primed ammo which are/were seated deep in the pockets, and some that went a little deeper than others. Increasing the protrusion by .003" will not cause primer piercing and could be enough to make the lighter striked primers go boom.

I've had this similar experience with light strikes a couple times.

The first was excessive oil on the firing pin and in the channel. That was an easy fix

The other time I lacked adequate firing pin protrusion. I got serious about my primer seating depths with a 21st Century hand primer seater and got the primers consistently flush on the bottom of the pocket and .003" below the case head. (Can catch a finger nail on the walls of the primer pocket when running the nail across the top of the primer) I had light strikes galore until I adjusted the protrusion depth. Now all is fine with that rig.

These light strike experiences gave me a good eye for the primer divot eval. I can tell the non fired primers divots are not as deep as the fired. Why that is might be answered above. Even if the depth of the BH primers isn't off, and it is due to hard cups, a bit more pin protrusion can remedy.

Thanks guys, I wasn't really thinking about the harder primers given 223 vs 556. But that is definitely possible. I'll grab some other ammo to check my bolt and my AR to run some BH through and report back.

Depending on results I'll be digging into the firing pin strike depth/strength. May just need a complete clean/lube. Likely a good time for that regardless. Thanks again for the knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: FredHammer
Got back out to the range today with other ammo. I was able to fire multiple other brands of 223 with no failure to fires. After the initial tests with no other problems except with the Blackhills. I completely disassembled the bolt and cleaned the entire assembly. Still ftf with the BH. I still assume it is due to the harder primers so next I'm going to run them through AR for a different pin strike. These may end up being treated like 556 and only used in it.

Reactions: Dirty D
Im putting together a 223 Wylde on an Origin and was hoping to be able to use my pile of MK262.
Ill be pretty bummed if Mil ammo doesnt work well.

I’d call up BH and get them to replace it. There’s no reason that shouldn’t fire in an quality 223 chambered rifle, especially one that has no issues with any other ammo.

Im putting together a 223 Wylde on an Origin and was hoping to be able to use my pile of MK262.
Ill be pretty bummed if Mil ammo doesnt work well.
I've never had an issue with BH before. All quality ammo from past experience. What was your lot #? Maybe it is just that lot or likely just some combination or that ammo and my rifles firing pin. Gonna try in an AR and see if it does the same.

I've never had an issue with BH before. All quality ammo from past experience. What was your lot #? Maybe it is just that lot or likely just some combination or that ammo and my rifles firing pin. Gonna try in an AR and see if it does the same.
I should have said MK262 clones. Its all Magtech and IMI.
Some people here have mentioned the hard Mil primers might be an issue in a bolt gun.
Im just hoping I dont have that issue. Im still waiting on the Action/Barrel.

I’d call up BH and get them to replace it. There’s no reason that shouldn’t fire in an quality 223 chambered rifle, especially one that has no issues with any other ammo.
Yeah, can't imagine this isn't an anomaly with my rifle and this set of ammo. Started the thread to see if anyone else had seen similar with this lot#. After some more testing to completely rule out any other possible issues. I will probably reach out to blackhills for their input as I bought multiple boxes of this BH lot.

It sounds like you have the issue pretty well nailed down. If you are still concerned about a weak firing pin spring a Tubb Speedlock pin is a relatively easy and inexpensive changeout.

Had similar with BH 175gr red box and a GAP tempest failing to ignite the harder milspec cci primers consistently.

As expected, no ftf when fired through my RRA AR in 223wylde. Also fired a few of the previous ftf just to check. Again no issues. Guess these will be AR only cartridges for me 🤷👍

Reactions: dms416
BH has really gone downhill in the last 5-10 years. I got a ton of it that won't group for shit. Also got burned by the gold box .260 ammo if anyone else remembers that. MUCH better ammo out there for less money than BH.