• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

black hills blown out primer

jroberts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2007
dover,delaware
the other day a buddy of mine and i were shooting...as he made a shot he jumped and said something bit him on his right arm..well come to find out it was a primer that had been blown out of the case and landed on his arm...he was shooting a pof 308..all factory...the ammo was black hills 175 smk..factory....this happened a couple times throughout the day,,,i also shot the same ammo through my sr-25 with no problems...what could be causing this problem...a bad couple of rounds or mabe there is something wrong with the rifle?

Re: black hills blown out primer

haha..true...but there has to be a problem somewhere if the primers are blowing completly out of the case right?

Have you tried other ammo in this Rifle, can you post a picture of the fired cases that have primers in them. Is this the POF model with a gas piston operating system.

Spike

yes..it shot fed 168 fine..were going to try some hornady 168 amax and some corbon 175smk this weekend and we'll try to get some pics up

That is why you see crimped primers.
They are not getting blown out, rather they are getting thrown out.
The force of the action causes the primers to come out.

If the primers were blowing out you would have a much more violent result.

It can also be from a dirty barrel,oil in the crown or barrel that is excessive