• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Black Oxide Coating

Re: Black Oxide Coating

Or should I be considering Duracoat to match a Stiller Tac30 black oxide finish? Has anyone had theirs duracoated and if so, how well does it match?

Best bet is to have the entire thing coated together if you're concerned about color/texture matching. You can use DuraCoat, Norrell's moly resin, KG GunKote, Cerakote, etc.. Plenty of people around who can do it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bet is to have the entire thing coated together if you're concerned about color/texture matching. You can use DuraCoat, Norrell's moly resin, KG GunKote, Cerakote, etc.. Plenty of people around who can do it for you. </div></div>

This^^^

I really hate to paint a new Tac30, that's why I was wondering who does the black oxide coating. I have an email in to Stiller but haven't heard back yet. Doesn't seem to be an option people are doing though, what with the lack of answers on it.

If you just want to do it yourself, you can buy black oxide solution from Caswell plating. It does a good job is and is easy to do. I dont know if it would match your action though.

True black oxide requires a boiling salt bath. There are several cold blue solutions that are user freindly, but my experience is that they do not hold up well against wear. The rust blueing solutions wear much better, but are more of a dark brown than a blue. These finishes are for Carbon steel, and will not work well on Stainless (if at all).

If it's a carbon steel barrel that you want a good factory blued finish on, I'd contact Nu-Line , do the barrel only, and hope the finish is close enough. Parts in the same batch can come out different shades, depending on alloy.

Cheers,

Bill

Not something for the weekend crowd! Although the finish looks nice; it doesn't last. If you are hellbent on black oxide pm me and I can refer you to someone. Cerakote is the way to go.

Turk,

Are you indicating the black oxide finish doesn't last or the previous post's cold blue doesn't last?

I'm not hell bent on black oxide, I'd just like the barrel to match the action pretty closely. I'll check into cerakote to see it's benefits, etc. I'm pretty new to the coating options, I've always just shot the stainless barrel the way it is. By the way, this new barrel will be stainless.

Originally, I was going to go OD green or parkerized, but it seems that 1) parkerizing does not work, or work well, on stainless and 2) I'm reluctant to treat (paint or otherwise) a perfectly good looking new action.

why not? my brand new(less than 100 rounds down the pipe) bushmaster just got a full coating of snow/winter camo last week. and it looks great, and i have no regrets.

Black oxide is probably the least durable of options. Good looking but doesn't last. Ask the guys in the Corps! It's one of the reasons they use paint.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the various paint options and then do the action at some point if I need (or want) to.

I did some AK builds and used DuraCoat in Black Oxide and it turned out pretty nice. If you want an exact match for the action and barrel doing them both would be the best bet. If you wanted to do the barrel that is...

Have you tried your local plater?
+ 1 for WRM.
Those guys look like a mad-hatter for a reason!
Took damn near two years to clean ground from plater from WWII, just to put parking lot in up here.
Hot, black oxide is not nice to do, but very effective if done right.

Figure out how to mask holes properly.

TC