• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

black powder folks.....

myronman3

deez nuts
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
alright guys. i have a black powder flask that came to me and it has a powder in it that looks a lot like corn cob media-a very course grain. and kind of a golden color to it. i have absolutely NO idea what it is....other than some type of substitute powder.

i did pour some out on the ground and touched a flame to it to make sure it was indeed a powder. any ideas?

Course grain would signify that it was meant for a cannon. The color may signify it's a sodium nitrate based powder, not potassium nitrate based. When you lit it up, what color was the flame and how fast did it burn?

Reactions: quietmike
You've descripted black powder that is manufactured from liberal tears. Use the salts that are obtained from the evaporation of the tears in substitution for the charcoal, and voila, you get powder that often can be described as looking like tumbling media. Don't inhale the smoke though, excessive, repeated exposure has been known to cause side effects such as violent fascism, belief in more than 2 genders, and near fatal cases of salty vaginosis.

I don't know what it is, but if you don't, I wouldn't use it in a gun, even as a dare after a 12pack of tranny light.

Branden

I see Bear Pit mentality is beginning so lemme just make another guess before I stop being serious. Another possibility is this powder may not be meant for a gun, but rather for the bursting charge for an aerial firework shell. Lots of bursting powder looks how you described.

I have bought new powder flasks with that type of media in it before.

My guess is that during the manufacturing process the media is used to polish the exterior of the flask before lacquering, or whatever finish is applied.

I have just shaken the flask with the spout open to pour the contents out then load with powder. Have not had any problems afterwards.

Fuck youtube fucking assholes anyway might be golden powder a pyro powder.

First off, "Black Powder" is racist. It's "Non-smokeless".
Secondly, the rule with powder ID is, "If you don't know, it's gotta go!" Like when I pull bullets and can't tell what is what. Goes in the trash.

Reactions: 458win
@sirhrmechanic is correct. Ditch it and move on. If it is powder and you don't know what it is 100%, don't mess with it. BP is no joke.

IMG_8912.gif

I've dabbled in blackpowder over the years mainly flintlock with some inline thrown in there. If it is actually blackpowder, the coarseness/fineness of the granulates would classically fall into either 'Cannon-F-FF-FFF-FFFF'. I couldn't locate a image that did a good job comparing them all side-by-side comparing I'll try to piece together a number of images that will hopefully illustrate the point...

1709852159591.png

'Cannon'

1709852198788.png

'F' & 'FFF' (kind of a potato photo but not much on the google)

1709852244497.png

The GOEX lineup but as you can see not the best of details.

For a flintlock, I'd have to check my loads but I want to say I used something like 100-120 grains of 'FF' in the barrel and enough of the 'FFFF' to fill the flashpan. If it is indeed an alternative to blackpowder, I did find an image comparing some of the more modern alternatives that may be helpful to you identifying what you have.

1709852488553.png

As you already know- powders are all different so aside from the curiosity aspect, I'd be awfully hesitant in guessing and putting in one of your firearms, both for your gun and yourself in case you guess wrong. Either way- hope that helps add some clues to go off of. Good luck on your journey figuring it out.

-LD

Last edited:
Reactions: 458win
had to fire someone today.....so guess who got to cover that shift? i'll put it on my list for tomorrow. appreciate the input.

there is no danger in me attempting to use it for anything other than tomato fertilizer. i was just curious as to what the hell it is.

I've dabbled in blackpowder over the years mainly flintlock with some inline thrown in there. If it is actually blackpowder, the coarseness/fineness of the granulates would classically fall into either 'Cannon-F-FF-FFF-FFFF'. I couldn't locate a image that did a good job comparing them all side-by-side comparing I'll try to piece together a number of images that will hopefully illustrate the point...

View attachment 8367182
'Cannon'

View attachment 8367184
'F' & 'FFF' (kind of a potato photo but not much on the google)

View attachment 8367185
The GOEX lineup but as you can see not the best of details.

For a flintlock, I'd have to check my loads but I want to say I used something like 100-120 grains of 'FF' in the barrel and enough of the 'FFFF' to fill the flashgun. If it is indeed an alternative to blackpowder, I did find an image comparing some of the more modern alternatives that may be helpful to you identifying what you have.

View attachment 8367192

As you already know- powders are all different so aside from the curiosity aspect, I'd be awfully hesitant in guessing and putting in one of your firearms, both for your gun and yourself in case you guess wrong. Either way- hope that helps add some clues to go off of. Good luck on your journey figuring it out.

-LD
Mmmmmm, Swiss BP. Thats my jam!