• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Black powder rifle for deer

silentnswift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Kentucky
Any of you guys muzzleloader hunt? I am in the market for a new one. Have had a hawken side lock and a tc optima in the past. Part of me wants to get a .45 flintlock or a .58 caliber ML to get the authenticity of black powder hunting. The other part of me thinks Daniel Boone would have used a savage shooting smokeless powder if he had it available to him.

cva accura v2 is what i use, unbelievable accuracy with 3 777 pellets and 295 grain power belt areo tips. usually under 1 inch at a hundred but i have put 3 shots touching on a good day more than once

I'm partial to a hawken or similar side lock percussion. The cap and nipple can be sealed for rain and ignition is good compared to flint. Patched ball with a light charge is fun shooting and a maxi ball or hunter works well on deer.

If you're just wanting another week of hunting season, inline may be the right choice.

It might depend on how long your season is ? The savage ones are nice!

Depends on what range you want to take your animals and the rules in your hunting area. I have taken several deer with a Savage ml2 at 200+ yards however last time I looked smokeless powder, saboted bullets and a scope were not allowed in Colorado during muzzleloading season. Ohio no problem. I have taken a few with my Hatfield flintlock 45 Cal patched round ball when it used to be called primitive weapons season.

Accura v2 LR is one I have been looking at. The nitride barrel as good as they make it out to be?
I've been reading up on them and I've seen people say to use bore paste on it to clean it up if the sabots are tight. That doesn't seem right to me though.