• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Black stock refinishing (cerakote) durability

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
how well does cerakote hold up on a rifle stock after it has been refinished? Has anyone ever had it actually begin to rub off? Looking to refinish my HTG stock in OD green cerakote since black isn't the greatest camouflage.

Re: Black stock refinishing (cerakote) durability

I have never done it to a rifle stock, but I had some plastic pistol grips from a Sig 226 that was done. I had the pistol and grips cerakoted in FDE. It held up to wear pretty good, but when it got scratched, the black would show. I also only shot it at the range. It was never carried on or off duty. Hope this helps.

All coatings will scratch if it's rubbed on something hard like a rock or metal.
If the stock is prepped right it holds up fine. It's probably the best alternative to a molded in colored stock.

It's job is camouflage. It will do it's job

You shouldn't have a problem going over an existing finish. Your best bet is to degrease the stock and follow up with a scuff pad or light alum oxide blast to give it some bite. Definately degrease it first... Good Luck...

are there any gunsmith's in the houston area that will do creakote?