• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black walnut or white oak wooden AR grips?

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Want to get a wooden grip for my Cadex chassis. Give it some old world bling. I see that MDT makes one but its got their logo all over it. Boyds makes one but its laminated (not the end of the world). Anyone know of a company that makes one? I'm getting ready to chop a junk white oak (poor form no usable 8 ft or 16 foot logs) at some point. Would it better to take a section to a wood working group?
IMG_1347.JPG

You could see if a set of Nill Grips for an AR-15 would be to your liking:

IMG_0143.jpeg

Reactions: oldrifleman
Want to get a wooden grip for my Cadex chassis. Give it some old world bling. I see that MDT makes one but its got their logo all over it. Boyds makes one but its laminated (not the end of the world). Anyone know of a company that makes one? I'm getting ready to chop a junk white oak (poor form no usable 8 ft or 16 foot logs) at some point. Would it better to take a section to a wood working group?
View attachment 8328146
Since it’s wood, you could apply some wood filler, sand, and refinish. Or just sand the logo away without filling (might go too deep then, however).

Might be cheaper than other options, especially if you like that model.

I was thinking I'd try making my own out of walnut, have nearly a 100 slabs to work on..

Reactions: Aftermath
View attachment 8328146
If you have a grip you like, take it to a stock maker who has a duplicator (and any worth its salt will have one).

And def Walnut rather than oak, IMO

You can practice 99 times. A standard AR grip should not be that difficult. Hit up @Bigfatcock for some pointers.
Are your slabs well seasoned? Which species?

Walnut, lots of figure, 2.5 inches thick, two years+ since slabbed, some are a bit more, buddy of mine works at a ranch that has walnuts, apples, cherries. Trees were pulled from an old orchard for expansion of a walnut processing plant. I could practice 99 times on one slab, some are 4 feet wide. :)

Reactions: Aftermath
Black walnut. I had a set of AR furniture a few years ago and loved the look