• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blackening Unertl rings

I am pretty sure that Parsons is gone/retired/done. From what I have read, folks have been trying for years to get their stuff back. Do big research before using Parsons.

USMC rings were never originally black and many others were not. Again, do homework first.

Other way around I think, the mounts are aluminum so they were enameled, and the thimbles were anodized.

Chuck in Denver from Jouster is very knowledgeable about the M1903A1 USMC sniper and helped me out a lot when I was doing my faux / replica.

Also, BasraBoy on this site was a huge help and did a lot of research when he built his replica (well worth ogling BTW...check out his thread on it in this forum).

Last edited:
I would check with Chuck as well. The color on the 8X USMC scope rings are hard to describe but look to be grey/green annodized, or annodized over case hardened??? I have seen a bunch and if they were black I would be suspecious. There are some pictures on this forum, including my M70. I would post some but I hate hosting sites, especially photobucket.

See page 3, thread on 1903A1 USMC, post 31. The color in that picture is correct. A few other pictures are showing non-original/not USMC original Unertls.

Last edited:
Think the question I need to ask is.....What Unertl rings are you referring to? Looking at the rest of the posts here it appears that everyone is responding in regards to the 8X USMC SNIPER WW2 era scope rings/elevation, windage turrets.
What throws me is in the Thread headliner you mention "Blackening" then in the subject you mention Anodizing.
My first thought when reading it was that you were referring to the M40A1 Unertl mounts that were steel and were finished in Black Oxide.
But when you referred to having them Anodized assumed you were talking about the 8X.
My 8X mounts/turrets have faded to a brownish color. I personally like the worn look.

Think the question I need to ask is.....What Unertl rings are you referring to? Looking at the rest of the posts here it appears that everyone is responding in regards to the 8X USMC SNIPER WW2 era scope rings/elevation, windage turrets.
What throws me is in the Thread headliner you mention "Blackening" then in the subject you mention Anodizing.
My first thought when reading it was that you were referring to the M40A1 Unertl mounts that were steel and were finished in Black Oxide.
But when you referred to having them Anodized assumed you were talking about the 8X.
My 8X mounts/turrets have faded to a brownish color. I personally like the worn look.

I'm referring to any of the external adjustment Unertl Target scopes, not just the USMC 8x. Occasionally, when I have seen Unertl scopes with black rings, I've seen them referred to as "blackened" and that's why I used the term. I like the look of the Unertl scopes, especially with black rings. I have seen a few with black rings, so I would probably wait and see what I could find, but I wanted to know if anybody had tried it.

Are the rings steel? I didn't think you could anodize steel. To blacken them, I would think black oxide or parkerizing would be the process. Or paint, I wouldn't paint them though.

Lyman target scopes came with enameled rings. They are every bit as good as Unertls. I am always amazed the way everyone must have a Unertl. I have sold a few dozen target scopes and used them for years as well. It is just a name that is popular. If I wanted dark rings, I would simply get a Lyman scope. JMO

Lyman target scopes came with enameled rings. They are every bit as good as Unertls. I am always amazed the way everyone must have a Unertl. I have sold a few dozen target scopes and used them for years as well. It is just a name that is popular. If I wanted dark rings, I would simply get a Lyman scope. JMO

I know about the Lymans. I also know about the Litscherts, Davis Opticals, Redfield 3200s, B&L Balvars & the Tasco Balvar knockoffs. I like Unertls for the same reason I like Winchester Model 70s; because they are the famous brands.

Winchester model 70's are superior to the competition of their era. Unertls are not. They are equal at best. They have also only became famous well after their time has passed. In the day they were used, they were not given any special regard or status.

But... You can value them however you wish of course.

BTW, you missed Fecker, a manufacture that most of the later guys worked for, including Litschert and Unertl. Fecker scopes actually had the best mount without question and mid tube focus. The mount was so good that he finally had to quit selling it except with new scopes as everyone wanted to replace the mounts of others with Fecker mounts and he did not have time to make them. Mid tube focus adjustment allowed one to re focus while still in the sling. They were the best.

I actually like it that fan boys are willing to pay more for a name on a tube. I have about 3 dozen Unertls and sell a few from time to time. Also have a few sets of USMC mounts for them. I was just trying to help those that can be helped.

I actually don't value the Unertls more than the other brands. I just think they look better. And since I'm really only buying them for looks at this point, I prefer Unertls.

I have had two sets of unertl rings anodized black. Most anodizing shops can handle that. I just disassembled the rings and sent the aluminum components to them. I use S&S Anodizing in Colorado.