• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BlackOps 300wm "updated"

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
Here is my BlackOps 300 wm. This rifle started as a build by Chris Matthews with Long Shot Rifles. It never would shoot to suit and when I would indicate this to Chris his reply was always “buying a custom rifle does not make you a good shooter”. After he told me this 4-5 times, I ask him how much he tried to make in one day, as I would like to hire him and let him show me how it was done. He declined that offer.

I had bought my wife a 220 Swift from UGSW and I also had on order a KUKRI in 7-08. When talking with Mike Bush, I ask if he would look at the LSR. He said he would so I sent it off to him. He got back with me and told me what was wrong and what we could do. Three options;
He could send it back to me (knowing it would never shoot any better than right now),
I could sell it,
he could re-barrel and fix it.

I have factory rifles that shoot better, so I didn’t want it back, would not feel right selling it, so only option was for him to fix it. Fix it he did. It looks and acts like a different rifle, in fact I found myself looking at the serial number to make sure this was the rifle I sent him.
I think the targets will remove doubt about if it will shoot. I wish I could do it justice, but at least I can work on that. I had thought I would not shoot this rifle that much, but it is lots of fun. I may need to order a barrel sooner verses later!
Thanks for your help with this Mike. Also, your DBM is great.

15wj82g.jpg

zyfpw.jpg

14r6sx.jpg

Re: BlackOps 300wm

The crew at Black Ops is first rate and they're lead by a great rifle builder. Glad to hear Mike took care of you, he's a class A type, enjoy that rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icallem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"he's a class A type"

I would say he gets a 'AAA' rating from me!
</div></div>

LOL I won't disagree with you
wink.gif

I know the nut behind the rifle isn't too bad either. Mike's guys do some awesome work...kudo's to Tim and Colton and Blackops Precision. If it were not for that flip phone I would think you are 21st century man but it is the flip phone that is holding you back...that looks like some pretty good shooting to me. The deer better look out.

Hoping the deer will come out and play in a few months. I'm not sure yet that they need to worry, but I have sometime to work on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icallem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hoping the deer will come out and play in a few months. I'm not sure yet that they need to worry, but I have sometime to work on that. </div></div> by the looks of the targets I think the deer have plenty to worry about.

If I shoot this barrel out, maybe a 20 incher would be in order.

Guess we don't need all that barrel after all!

Because I live close to BlackOps, I often get to see their products going through testing at the local rifle range. You can't go wrong with one of their rifles. They are expertly made and shoot extremely well.

I have a 5 inch plate hanging at 415 yards, took it out last night and right at 5 moa put me on it. Rang it 5 times with the splash being what appeared to be around 3 inches. When it cools off outside some and I can shoot more rounds, I'm going to take it out to 8-900 to get my drop data. I'm looking forward to big things with this rifle.

Question, when do you guys consider the barrel 'broke-in'? (have about 70 rounds down it now) My 308's just keep shooting better and better, but they have a barrel life that is out there, so didn't know what to look for with a shorter life barrel.

Here is my BlackOps 300WM Mike & Tim built for me for an upcoming elk hunt - its a hammer with some hunting loads that Andrew McCourt worked up for me!!

005-3.jpg

photo.jpg

Looks like the elk need to be nervous!

What bullet were you using? I have talked with Andrew and he said he had some 208's loaded up that shot really well.

Icallem,

I am using 180 grain TTSX from Barnes - they're scootin' at 3060 fps & shoot really well out of the rifle.

Andrew is a great guy to work with - he knows his stuff!!

Re: BlackOps 300wm "update

With deer season out of the way, I have been working on my area where I shoot. I had 411 yards, but thought if I cleared out to the old railroad bed I could gain some more ground. I added 55 yards and can now shoot 466.

mszqbo.jpg

I loaded some 210 Bergers, using same data as for the 208 Amax. I dialed in dope for the 208's and let them fly. I have not looked things up yet, but the 210's must fly better as you can see, they are high, with two (unpainted) holes in the backer. 5 shooots on the steel.

25u7e42.jpg

Still hard to believe how much fun this rifle is to shoot.

Those groups make it look boring to shoot. What, no fliers? :)
Awesome stick, glad it got fixed.

Where is the smart phone to help with the elevation and windage changes? If you had a new phone I bet those groups would be on top of each other...ok, it is nice shooting and I am a tad jealous but still, a smart phone would change everything HAHAHAHA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the smart phone to help with the elevation and windage changes? If you had a new phone I bet those groups would be on top of each other...ok, it is nice shooting and I am a tad jealous but still, a smart phone would change everything HAHAHAHA</div></div>

I should have just called you. You know, let my fingers do the walking!

Man I wish I didn't read your thread. I have my Tikka Scout en route to Mike as I type to get bedded in a Manners and DBM installed. Even though he quoted fairly quick lead time relatively speaking it is going to be a real tough wait.

But also I agree I love shooting my 300WM as well. It's tons of fun.

The wait is tough, but the results are great. Takes your mind off the wait time for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,,,,,,,

Nice rifle, Icallem. I have a similar 300 wm and love it. Your bolt handle appears to be on the wrong side, but I won't hold it against you.

I hope to find an excuse to do business with BlackOps someday. Mike seems like a first class guy and their work is impressive.

Mike does great, stuff I have one of his Kukri's. (I noticed he is grammar Nazi through email conversations I had with him). My little 13lbs Kukri will out shoot 19lbs M40A5's. I actually have used it all year elk hunting. I sand bagged it one day and 3/8moa of angle is very attainable if you do your part.

I'd send him an email to thank him and his crew but I know they are extremely busy. I can't recommend them enough, I plan on doing business with them again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike does great, stuff I have one of his Kukri's. (I noticed he is grammar Nazi through email conversations I had with him). My little 13lbs Kukri will out shoot 19lbs M40A5's. I actually have used it all year elk hunting. I sand bagged it one day and 3/8moa of angle is very attainable if you do your part.

I'd send him an email to thank him and his crew but I know they are extremely busy. I can't recommend them enough, I plan on doing business with them again.</div></div> Mike is very precise, like an engineer should be. I am glad you said the weight of your Kurki. I have one on order at the moment and was wondering what it weighed on the scales. And, as Icallem said, the first one is the hardest wait, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th just seems to get easier. I can't say enough great things about the Team at Blackops, they are definitely moving out on builds, and the wait time has shortened considerably; they are shooting for six months for a build. I am closing in on my second Blackops rifle and already ordered the Kurki for the wife to shoot. BlackOps rifle are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.