• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blackstone Arms Barrels

LReece

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina
After looking at several threads regarding AR15 barrel quality I've narrowed down two options for a spare upper that I want to setup to hunting coyotes. So I'm looking at Blackstone Arms (AR Performance) or White Oak Armament. I plan on using quality hunting ammo but not match grade so I don't have sub MOA expectations out of this setup. I'm just looking to get a consistent 2" group at 100 yards out of it and my max range I'll be hunting at 250 yards. What your thoughts on getting that out of these two barrels?

LR

Have barrels in 6.8 SPC-II from both of them…both gtg in my experience.

MOA(ish) or better if I use good ammo at 100 yards on my guns.

Reactions: LReece
I have 2 of the blackstone barrels in 6.8, both shoot under 1 MOA with about any ammo I put through them. They seem to really like the Hornandy 110 and 120 grain stuff. Never tried one of there .223 barrels yet, but will be as soon as the scout profile comes back in stock I will be building an upper with one.

If your expectations are 2” at 100 yards, these aren’t your barrels. Save some cash and get a Ballistic Advantage. The 2 you mention should WAY exceed your expectations.

Reactions: Jsp556 and LReece
I have 2 of the blackstone barrels in 6.8, both shoot under 1 MOA with about any ammo I put through them. They seem to really like the Hornandy 110 and 120 grain stuff. Never tried one of there .223 barrels yet, but will be as soon as the scout profile comes back in stock I will be building an upper with one.
I'm wanting the scout in .223 as well. I hope they perform just was well.

LR

If your expectations are 2” at 100 yards, these aren’t your barrels. Save some cash and get a Ballistic Advantage. The 2 you mention should WAY exceed your expectations.
Up until recently BA was my initial plan even with the negative reviews here. I can get one with the specs I want for about $150ish or under depending on the retailer. But after seeing the $210 price for the Blackstone Arms that's the route I'm planning on going.

LR

Last summer I bout a barrel from B King Firearms that has been surprisingly accurate for the amount of money I paid for it. Even comes with a pinned gas block.

Looks like he is blowing them out again.

Last summer I bout a barrel from B King Firearms that has been surprisingly accurate for the amount of money I paid for it. Even comes with a pinned gas block.

Looks like he is blowing them out again.

I've read a couple of places that ballistic advantage is probably making his barrels. His prices on ballistic advantage barrels are the best I've seen anywhere.

LR

if all you're looking for is 2moa BA’s should do it. my 18” BA is about 1.5 with razor core.

i’m starting to look for something a little better but don’t want bare stainless. would prefer a nitrided coating. had a WO stainless long ago that didn’t like having a dirty chamber. maybe i’m missing something though.

would love to have a CL that shoots sub MOA…is that even possible?

i’m starting to look for something a little better but don’t want bare stainless. would prefer a nitrided coating. had a WO stainless long ago that didn’t like having a dirty chamber. maybe i’m missing something though.

would love to have a CL that shoots sub MOA…is that even possible?
Every time someone calls nitride a coating God kills a kitten. Sounds like your WO barrel had a tight or rough chamber, SS isn't any more averse to being dirty than anything else.
Criterion has a lot of customers shooting sub moa CL barrels, myself included.

1706413316789.jpeg

Every time someone calls nitride a coating God kills a kitten. Sounds like your WO barrel had a tight or rough chamber, SS isn't any more averse to being dirty than anything else.
What’s even worse are the vendors that describe it as a coating. Clearly have no understanding of the product they’re selling.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Just a heads up OP. The picture of the melonited scout barrel on Blackstone’s site is wrong. The scout looks more like a criterion hybrid. The pic he’s using is the old Socom profile with 5/8x24 muzzle threading. For some reason, that bothers me. Lol

A4EFDC41-D427-4DB9-AE55-F5DE9ABCC05A.png

What’s even worse are the vendors that describe it as a coating. Clearly have no understanding of the product they’re selling.
I think I've noticed BA and a few other prominent names make that mistake on their websites. Always hurts my confidence in a company, like what other technical details are they unsure of?

Reactions: LReece and Jsp556

lol. ya i think i recall that now and forgot. thanks for the reminder…..is treatment the proper term?

good to hear about the stainless barrels, i’m not up to speed on those. all my barrels had been CL and nitrided more recently.

i’ll look into stainless again.

Last edited:
I think I've noticed BA and a few other prominent names make that mistake on their websites. Always hurts my confidence in a company, like what other technical details are they unsure of?
I wonder if they're doing to make it easier for the masses to something is different or better?

Or just a marketing tool to sell more.

LR

Or maybe their marketing person who manages their website doesn't know the difference between shit and shinola?

Reactions: Shoreglide
I wonder if they're doing to make it easier for the masses to something is different or better?

Or just a marketing tool to sell more.

LR
Calling it a coating? Or nitriding itself?
Nitriding is a surface hardening conversion and absolutely changes the metal, for the better in this application.

Or maybe their marketing person who manages their website doesn't know the difference between shit and shinola?
That's very likely, but technical details matter, and it looks bad for everyone when marketing screws up.

Reactions: Jsp556
Calling it a coating? Or nitriding itself?
Nitriding is a surface hardening conversion and absolutely changes the metal, for the better in this application.

from my limited experience with treated barrels, i can agree.

i had a LWRC 18” DMR upper that had about 8000-9000 rounds on it with a mix of F/A and a few thousand steel bullets and it was still shooting about 1.5 moa with razor core. those barrels have some sorta treatment.