• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Blade length ambiguity laws in NC

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Benchmade Adamas. Its a great knife and I really appreciate the quality since ive been carrying a broken kershaw assisted open for 12 years.

After looking at the knifes specs (Overall Length: 8.70" Closed Length: 4.88" Blade Length: 3.82") i decided to google NC laws just to see if there are any retarded laws regarding size or the method of carry of pocket knives. Much to my surprise, I saw a few older threads stating that NC has a 3.5" maximum of pocket knife blades, or an overall length of 4.5 inches, and that NO knives can be concealed, even if you are a CCW permit holder. I searched around on a NC legislative website and the only thing I saw was in the concealed weapon law:

"...This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action...."

My benchmade's blade is contained within the handle in the closed position.

GS_14-269

I also saw it mentioned that the overall length closed cannot exceed 4.5 inches, I dont see that anywhere in the above clause. I will admit that "ordinary pocket knife" and "small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse..." is ambiguous.

This site lists some NC case law regarding knives:

http://knife-expert.com/nc.txt

"Knife about 4-1/2 inches in overall length which, when
folded, was clearly designed for carrying in a pocket or
purse, was an 'ordinary pocketknife' as defined by this
section."

So I guess my question is, define "about 4-1/2 inches". My knife is 4.88" closed. I dont want to have to get rid/stop carrying my new knife because of some ambiguous, antiquated, law that probably isnt enforced. So whats the deal?

4.8 is about 4.5...I'd carry it and not give it a second thought. My guess is that unless you're stopped for doing something stupid, you won't have any issues. If yo u

4.8 is about 4.5...I'd carry it and not give it a second thought. My guess is that unless you're stopped for doing something stupid, you won't have any issues. If you think you'll be searched somewhere, don't carry it.

4.8 is about 4.5...I'd carry it and not give it a second thought. My guess is that unless you're stopped for doing something stupid, you won't have any issues. If you think you'll be searched somewhere, don't carry it.

Thats what I figured.