• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Blade Length Limitations in TX, AZ, NV, FL, CA?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Amazingly California does not have any blade length restrictions (outside of schools, and a few other exceptions) for non-switchblade type knives. Are there any restrictions in TX, AZ, NV, and FL?

Re: Blade Length Limitations in TX, AZ, NV, FL, CA?

TX: max legal length 5 1/2 inches, switch blades illegal, double edged blades illegal. In public; on your own property you can do what you want.

"Amazingly California does not have any blade length restrictions "

Well that will certainly be news to the DA.

Fixed knives in public = NO

Daggers in public = NO

Autos in public = NO

Balis in public = NO

12020(a), 653k;See Jim March's Excellent CA knife law summary and the CA county ordinances in the "local ordinances" link just above this table. For instance, L.A. bans open carry of 3"+ knives (with vague "lawful recreation" exception); Oakland bans 3"+ knives completely. A much despised case, People ex rel. Mautner v Quattrone 211 Cal.App.3d 1389 (1989), held that butterfly knives are covered by CA's switchblade prohibition. People v Rosalio S. 41 Cal Rptr.2d 534 deals with a leatherman and the 2.5" school limit, finding the leatherman illegal because blades are legally measured from tip to handle, not just along the sharpened edge.

http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html

NV is pathetic, max blade length is BELOW 3"; I recall that Texas was max blade length below 4", but have not seen teh statutes recently.
JeffVN

Re: Blade Length Limitations in TX, AZ, NV, FL, CA

For Florida, I do not see a blade length mentioned in the Statues. "Common pocket-knives" are allowed. Length must be established by some court-case precedent, but I am no lawyer. BTW, the concealed carry weapons permit for Florida includes knives.

Here are the 3 sections pertaining to knives:
FS 790.001 (13) "Weapon" means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.

FS 790.06 (1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9)

FS 790.225 (1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas

Actuall the Nevada Revised Statutes does not say anything regaurding blade length except in the form of a switchblade. Balis are not listed as well. A switchblade is illegal for all but LEOs and you cannot get a permit. This is not to say the local or county ordinances do not have their own rules. I just double checked BTW in case something changed. No carrying, period, of a dirk, dagger, trefoil, switchblade, or a blade that is an integral part of a belt buckle. Look-up NRS 202.350.

The biggest thing in Nevada is the open carry of a firearm. Currently, in the state of Nevada, there is no law saying you CAN'T carry open. There also is no law saying you CAN either. The justice system CANNOT prosecute a person for a crime where a law doesn't exist. But, it Northtown (north LV) they have an ordinance that requires a carry permit.

In Florida you are good to go with any pocket knife, if you want to carry something on the exotic side or want to be 'safe' then you need a concealed weapon license...ballistic knives are subject to a federal ban so you can't get those in any state.

I love this state
grin.gif

AZ only allows the concealment of a "pocket knife" without a CCW permit. No other restrictions that I am aware of concerning length or open carry.

5 1/2" in texas is right.

just 5 1/2" is a little long for most cases. i like 4 to 4 1/2" blades for the most part.