• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blast cabinet lid - plexiglass or glass?

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I have an el cheapo blast cabinet that I bought from Tractor Supply a couple of years ago. I've used it quite a bit and it actually works great as long as I keep fresh nozzles in it. The problem I have is that the plexiglass lid is so scrathed up I literally have to have my nose pressed up against the lid to see anything and even then I'm almost operating by feel.

I tried using the clear covers they sell but they never stuck for very long and the plexiglass got scratched anyway.

Does anyone here have regular glass on the lid of their cabinet? Does it get scrathed up and hard to see through? I'd love to just be able to wipe it off and keep truckin but don't want to waste the money on a hunk of glass if it's just going to get all scratched up again. I use 90# aluminum oxide and rarely blast at over 75psi if that makes any difference.

TIA

Re: Blast cabinet lid - plexiglass or glass?

Glass is far more resistant to the scratching. There are grades of glass. Talk to your glass dealer. Plain window glass is fairly soft. Tempered may be better. Get an expert opinion from an expert. However most cabinets with glass I've seen have been more resistant.You might consider placing a wire mesh a 1/4 inch in front of the glass to impede the bouncing particles. If window screening or a bit larger, it may allow vision while extending the visual life.

Check with Dependable Sandblast & Deburring Corp at 610 W Troy Ave, on the south side. (317) 783-3301 You may want to try 120 grit at a lower pressure. When your down there stop by the Body Shop

Alan

I've often wondered that myself. The only thing that keeps me from switching is the additional cost ( not that much more expensive ) , Having to be more careful with the lid, and the time it would take to make a new lid. For how often you would have to replace it, I would just replace it with the same old plexiglass. If you do replace it I think you can get a product that works like the tearoffs that are used in motorcycle racing. They stick to the inside of the glass and when it gets scratched up you just tear off a layer to expose a new layer.
Cheers!

The ones we used to use at work had a piece of glass attached to the inside of the Lexan. This helps keep static from building and covering the Lexan with dust.

Tearoffs were after my active work time. I have no experience with that. But it might be worth looking into.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried using the clear covers they sell but they never stuck for very long and the plexiglass got scratched anyway.
</div></div>

The tear offs were what I was talking about, they don't work very well in my cabinet.

Thanks Alan, I'll give them a call...

i've done a lot of bead blasting at work, and the glass would only last a few hours without tear-offs on the glass. glass is best but plexiglass will work IF you keep a tear-off on it.

i wipe the inside surface of the glass down with alcahol to give the tear-off a good surface to stick to.

At a machine shop I used to work at, we did a low volume of blasting in a cabinet with polycarbonate windows. We used to polish the inside of the window EVERY time we used the cabinet. It was fairly labor intensive, but the windows lasted for years and were always clear. IIRC we used "Mother's" plastic polish, and it helped with the static charge too.

Tear offs work well for me. You just have to clean the glass good before putting them on. I also use about 60 psi for most of the stuff I do.

I have two blast cabinets at work. One is glass and one is polycarbonate. The glass unit is fairly new and the glass is already starting to get dull. We use all different kinds of media from cleaners to aggressive. The polycarbonate blaster has a removable front window. We have a roll of clear film thats probably .010" thick which we use inside underneath the polycarb. I will found out exactly what material it is but its like a thin plastic soda bottle material. I prefer the polycarb with film IMO.

what ever is cheaper cuz you'll need to replace it often