• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blast cabinets: foot pedal or trigger gun?

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
It's time for a new blast cabinet. I have pretty much settled on the brand (American made being the huge selling point). Do you prefer a trigger gun or a foot pedal for rifle work (alox for finish prep, glass bead mat finish)?

Re: Blast cabinets: foot pedal or trigger gun?

Pedal by a mile the triggers are a P.I.T.A. Allot easier to control for detail work.

I have always used a foot pedal and never had any problems or occasions that I wished I had something else. That being said, I don't think I would mind using a trigger gun.

It will be interesting to see what others prefer.

I just bought a Skat 960-T Pro Trig. They make the exact one with a foot petal but I didn't see the need for my purposes. I can always upgrade. I never had the luxury of a pedal so I don't know what or if I am missing anything. I love this cabinet though.

I prefer a foot pedal. It makes it easier to control to me, in full disclosure I only prefer the foot pedal because I have never used a trigger.

If you're blasting less than 15 minutes or so, no real difference.

I have both and I prefer the hand trigger - it may be the pedal I am using but generally, I feel like I am always standing on one foot to operate the pedal with the other - gets old when you have to blast for an hour or two steady.

Foot pedal for me. Less fatigue for larger jobs.
As said above, for short use/small projects hand trigger
would be fine.

I bought mine from TP Tools in Ohio, great machine and
awesome customer service.

Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a Skat 960-T Pro Trig. They make the exact one with a foot petal but I didn't see the need for my purposes. I can always upgrade. I never had the luxury of a pedal so I don't know what or if I am missing anything. I love this cabinet though. </div></div>

After using this cabinet, would you buy the same one if you had to do it again?

This is the one I have pretty much settled on.

We have the 960 Pro. It's good but wish we would have got the 970. Easier to work the ends of the long stuff. Bust for the tungsten nozzle. It is a real money saver. AO eats the ceramic nozzles quick. Don't bother with the steel nozzle. Not that it wears out quick but will blow steel bits into the surface of your projects causing rust later on.

We also have the TP 960 pro with foot pedal control and definitely recommend it for a shop that coats a lot of rifles.

...also, +1 on the tungsten nozzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a Skat 960-T Pro Trig. They make the exact one with a foot petal but I didn't see the need for my purposes. I can always upgrade. I never had the luxury of a pedal so I don't know what or if I am missing anything. I love this cabinet though. </div></div>

After using this cabinet, would you buy the same one if you had to do it again?

This is the one I have pretty much settled on. </div></div>

Most definitely. Worth every penny in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Foot pedal and tungsten nozzle here in my Trinco cabinet. </div></div>

+1 for trinco!!! I have been using their cabinets and media for years with no problems.

I've had a love hate relationship with a big Dayton for the last 22 years. The tungsten nozzle last forever, but the pick up system is not the best. If this is on your list, I would probably steer you away from it.
I like triggers for the small cabinets and pistol work, but the foot pedal for the larger ones. Sometimes its easier to just choke down on the hoses to reach the last couple of inches on a barreled action which is not an option with the trigger gun. JMO

If you go with the Skat 960 w/pedal I doubt you wont like it. If you don't it should be easy to convert back to a trigger gun. I got mine with the trigger instead of the pedal and haven't found the need for a pedal yet. It's like a $100 upgrade if I decide down the road I want one.