• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Blast Diverter

B y r o n

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2004
Western Kentucky
I realize this doesn't apply to direct thread suppressors. So, for those who choose to purchase a suppressor that attaches to a muzzle brake or flash suppressor, did you consider the availability of a blast diverter when you made your purchase?

Shooting alone it really doesn't matter much but when at a range the blast from a muzzle brake can be disturbing to others on either side. Wanting to remain neighborly it is something I wanted as family and friends were usually on either side of me at the range. Do you use a blast diverter when not running a suppressor or did you not realize that was an option when you bought your suppressor?

Reactions: roosterpig
I use blast diverters when in California (as apposed to NV or AZ) Surefire, AAC (51T), Silencerco , and OSS (Huxwrx) all make them, I favor the rifles with the OSS and SiCo diverters and for me is seem as though my groups are slightly better than when I'm running the can.

I'm pretty much always shooting suppressed. On the rare cases I'm not, I'm not worried at all about it.

The system I use does have blast diffusers (Plan B/Rearden), but never considered getting onem

I realize this doesn't apply to direct thread suppressors. So, for those who choose to purchase a suppressor that attaches to a muzzle brake or flash suppressor, did you consider the availability of a blast diverter when you made your purchase?

Shooting alone it really doesn't matter much but when at a range the blast from a muzzle brake can be disturbing to others on either side. Wanting to remain neighborly it is something I wanted as family and friends were usually on either side of me at the range. Do you use a blast diverter when not running a suppressor or did you not realize that was an option when you bought your suppressor?
I used to have a blast diverter but I never used it so I gave it away.

My shorties are loud AF with or without a blast diverter. I don't shoot at public ranges but I would not want to be around me without a can on.

The most valuable thing about those blast diverters isn't related to sound at all. It's being able to not disturb the sand or other things in close proximity to the shooter. For example if you have to get on your stomach and shoot prone or something like that it will help prevent sand from dusting up into your eyes.

The Surefire Warden muzzle device is a forward biased blast diverter. Use in this Noveske N4 10.5" when not running suppressed.
IMG_7303 copy.JPG
IMG_7309 copy.JPG
IMG_7311 copy.JPG
IMG_2748A.jpg

If I’m shooting a brake, I want a BRAKE. If I’m shooting a suppressor, I was t a SUPRESSOR. A blast diverted is loud while reducing the effectiveness of your brake. Nope, never considered it. Not once.

I bought suppressors with the intent of not shooting unsupressed again - so the brake used or mounting or accessories had zero to do with the choice. If I were forced to shoot without the can, I'd shoot bare brake or just pick another of my unthreaded hunting/milsurp guns.