• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Blast from the Past

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    This is crazy, so I open up my email this fine wintery morning and I see this,

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.22.49 AM.png

Totally from Norm Chandler, his email his name, I was like okay...

it was just submitted to the site contact form

Wasn't IBA featured in one of the Stephen Hunter novels... Under another name. As it was fiction? But we all knew who they were talking about.

They are pretty legendary IIRC... early promotors of the Semi-Auto platform for sniper rifles. A lot of experience and cred. Esp. with USMC.

Also the XM-3? Going back more than a decade here. But I seem to remember that these folks were some serious tier-one makers and innovators. DARPA stuff and more.

I may be wrong... but this is pretty cool! Just based on long memory.

Sirhr

Wasn't IBA featured in one of the Stephen Hunter novels... Under another name. As it was fiction? But we all knew who they were talking about.

They are pretty legendary IIRC... early promotors of the Semi-Auto platform for sniper rifles. A lot of experience and cred. Esp. with USMC.

Also the XM-3? Going back more than a decade here. But I seem to remember that these folks were some serious tier-one makers and innovators. DARPA stuff and more.

I may be wrong... but this is pretty cool! Just based on long memory.

Sirhr
    Yes, the fictional reference was a brain teaser having had personal interaction with a few of the crew.

When you could count the number of good custom precision rifle shops in the country on your hands and had to find out about builders from Shotgun News or word of mouth, they actually weren't a terrible option. Overpriced (especially then as a young Corporal in '95), you bet, but they had a good product in a limited market with few alternatives. Had an instructor at a course bring his out, tricked out 30-06 with gold inlay in the engraving, and watched him outshoot our M40A1s like it was nothing. I was impressed with that rifle, really wanted one right up until I heard the price tag and it was over half a year's take home pay.

A few years later we put together a couple teams from our platoon to shoot a match down in Mississippi, one of the guys (@NOMAD) knew Col Chandler who graciously outfitted three of the guys with rifles, Rocky mounted brand new scopes and bore sighted them in the driveway while we waited and they threw in a couple cases of FGMM to more than cover the COF. I was stubborn and shot my M40A1 at the match, still placed pretty well despite the 5-round internal magazine being a serious handicap on speed stages, but those Chandler rifles held their own.

I've heard many of the stories over the years from when the Colonel ran Stone Bay to running IBA, lots of angst and animosity in those tales, but my small interaction certainly didn't reflect that.

I had a super match m1a that was built by IBA…. Damn fine rifle… bedding job was perfect.

Any photos I thought this was a picture thread .....