• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blister Prevention

jray05stang

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Oxford, MS
Hey guys,
I am heading off to Basic Training in a few months for Army National Guard. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on blister prevention in both running shoes and boots. My big toes are really prone to blisters, and I have heard how bad blisters can get during Basic. I am posting this in the equipment section, because I hear there are some things you can put in boots and running shoes to help minimize this issue.

Also, on the topic of chafing, is it ok to buy things like Under Armor jockey shorts for Basic? If so what colors do they need to be?

Thanks a lot fellas. I am really looking forward to getting into training, so I can begin the service of my country!

Re: Blister Prevention

Try mole skin or super sticky duct tape. Your shorts need to be black.

I do not know about Basic now but when I went thru '86 if it was not issued you had to throw it away. Razors, shaving cream, soap,etc. AAFES has to make a killing !!! You may be able bring certain items but it also may get chunked. I have 2 big rolls of Mole skin. I tell you what, send me your address and I will send you some mole skin.So If it gets tossed no worries, better yet if you go to boot at Ft. Benning I will deliver it to you. Just PM me with your info. R/ Mike Retired Army old fart

I have heard but do not know first hand but women's stockings helps prevent blisters on the feet during humps. They say you put them on then your socks. I have not had a chance to try ti but I will. And no Im not trying to get you into women's stockings
eek.gif

I don't know about the womens stockings, but mole skin on the areas you know tend to get blisters is the way to go. Do it before you get the blister. Once you have the blisters, the mole skin doesn't help too much(in my opinion).

Old football trick: little bit of Vasaline on the spot, then bandage or tape over. Works like a charm, but don't know how practical that is in basic.

In a pinch, a pair of dress socks under your whites works too. The friction doesn't rub on one spot.

Good luck. Thanks for joining the Guard and serving.

Good luck and stand your ground on the moleskin. Any good DI will gladly let you keep it.

If you do get a blister, Tincture of Benzoin is the trick. It is an antiseptic and very sticky.
The best way to use it is to inject a small amt INTO the blister before it pops....hurts like HELL, but the blister goes away the next day.

I don't know if the dead skin sticks to the area or what, but it works.

If you can't inject it, then putting it on a popped blister works but not as well...still hurts like hell.
madd0c

when i went through. i used baby powder in my boots and then i wore the black dress socks you get inside my green socks and make sure your boots are tight. at first they kinda rush you through boot sizing, make sure when your trieing them on you make sure they fit. you dont want your feet sliding around, i also shaved the inside of my thighs where they would rub during road marches. now i dont even grow hair there it just got rubbed away i guess. your feet will toughen up after a while.panty hose work the best cut off like shorts and then the feet inside your socks. but it just depends on whether the drills let you buy it or not. i dont know if they still do it. but make sure you rotate your boots daily so they both break in the same.

I am not saying that woman's stocking do not work. I am only saying you do not want that kind of attention in boot camp.

When I went through Basic, if you brought it, they took it.

Maybe things are different now, the moleskin will be the way to go if you can keep it.

The OPer states he has a couple of months before basics, surprised no one has mentioned getting into shape. Mimic the types of physical activity you will be doing and see where the weak links appear, then move to fix the problem. If you are prone to blisters, toughen those feet now, don't wait until you have blisters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The OPer states he has a couple of months before basics, surprised no one has mentioned getting into shape. Mimic the types of physical activity you will be doing and see where the weak links appear, then move to fix the problem. If you are prone to blisters, toughen those feet now, don't wait until you have blisters. </div></div>

I definitely agree. Everything you can do to get prepared before basic is going to help. In basic I wore 2 pairs of socks (worked really well for me) as has been already mentioned.

Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle,,start spraying your feet.
Walk around barefoot on gravel and pavement,concrete.
Twist your feet to help ruff them up.

like mentioned above buy some boots and start running around to get fit in them. i thought i was fairly fit when i joined the Australian Army at 18 boy was i wrong. We were also only allowed to wear issued gear everything but jocks was taken and locked away at least they let us wear our own jocks lol.

Good luck and start running.

To prevent blisters during road work or humping a ruck, as already mentioned ... double up the socks and add a dab of Vaseline to known trouble spots. If you get blisters anyway, Moleskin is the only real fix if you gotta keep drive'n on.

Thank you for your service!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wishooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The womens socks where each toe has a seperate compartment (like a glove) work great with the appropriate sock over the top. </div></div>

That should read "womens and NINJA's socks".

Wearing two pairs of socks as mentioned is the way to go but make sure that the socks are of different material. Wear nylon dress socks under your cotton/wool boot socks. This puts the friction between the two different materials and not against your feet.

Moleskin is also a great thing.

If you have a few months prep, trying grabbing a pack and going walk around. If you have tender feet and don't do anything now, it'll just be that much worse when you have such a big change of pace. Get your feet used to ground pounding, if you get blisters, they'll heal up and get your feet tougher.

Moleskin is the way to go and I'd strongly suggest you take LARMIKE up on the offer to have a backup sent.

An ex of mine went through basic while we were together, I ended up sending her more in first aid supplies than anything else during her stint at Ft. Jackson.

I keep moleskin in my hunting pack at all times, I learned to appreciate it as much as a good knife as a boy scout.

IIRC from my cousin, he was given a specific list of what he could and could not bring to basic. They inspected it all, if there was anything not on the list or you had an extra pair of socks, it was tossed.

Just tough it out, moleskin will curl up when wet and fall off causing a blister. Dry socks and toughening your feet up prior to basic will do the trick. Wearing PT shorts instead of underwear under your ACUs will usually cause no chaffing. That's what I did all through Iraq, and worked wonders. Tighten up your boots and put some IcyHot on your balls, and you should be set. Remember, all this magical voodoo, won't pass the real struggle of ruck marches. It's all mental, so never give up mentally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavSoldier3ACR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once read about an old Zulu trick to toughen the skin on your feet. They would urinate on them. Haven't tried this myself mind you, but you never know. </div></div>

Much better to use rubbing alcohol,,daily 2x a day
wink.gif

Best advise I got about breaking in leather combat boots was to get them soaked in salt water and then wear them all day. As far as boot camp goes, as others said above..... if it wasn't issued to you, it got sent home when you were issued your gear. I wouldn't recommend wearing women's stockings. God help you if you get caught. We had some guys in BUD/s try it out to limit chaffing and keep warmer.... It wasn't pretty when the instructors found out.

Feet get in shape the same way the rest of your body does, by using them. We do a lot of 15+ mile hikes during hunting season, the guys in shape rarely have foot issues. Guys with new boots, and feet that see loafers and the recliner back at home, well, I play foot doctor a lot for those guys. Moleskin does work somewhat after you have the blister, but once your feet swell and you stop, it's tough to get going again.

The advice above about gettting your feet in shape before is good.

I was never in the service but there is no substitute for getting out and hiking. Also, practice hiking with a pack over rough terrain. Start with a light pack, about 20 pounds, and work you way up to half your body weight. Based upon years of mountaineering and climbing, if you can hump half your weight cross-country, you're in pretty good shape.

The funny thing about feet is that they are all different. Pretty obvious but just to give you an example. My very good mountaineering buddy get blisters in just about every situation, whereas I am more or less immune to blistering. I suggest you find out what category you are in and then plan accordingly.

Couple more things. 1. Once a blister forms, you have failed. Under no circumstances should you pop that blister. 2. Apply duct tape before the hot spot turns into a blister, and once you know your feet, put the tape on even before you start hiking. 3. If you can, when you stop for a break, pull off your boots, air out your feet, and adjust your socks. Wrinkled socks cause even more blisters.

Best of luck to you.

The number one thing to help is tougher feet. That means running and rucking now. Your recruiter will let you know what's a good start up program. If you're going to Benning for infantry OSUT, you're not going to be able to use anything you bring with you. The Army will issue you everything you need to make it, though little of what you want!

I can tell you honestly that getting the right fit in your shoes and boots is key in not getting blisters. I like a half size too big in running shoes for when my feet swell. Make the CIF people give you the right boots, even if it takes them a couple trips. And DO NOT get boots that are too narrow. They'll make you hate life. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Make the CIF people give you the right boots, even if it takes them a couple trips. And DO NOT get boots that are too narrow. They'll make you hate life. Good luck. </div></div>

Absoloutly true, the motherfucker that issued me 11 narrow when I wore 9 wide cost me some nerve damage in my foot.
Get the size right the first time even if it takes arguing, after three weeks the damage can be done.

If you stop, change socks, sweaty wrinkled socks are a no-go, but if it's a long timed ruck, stopping and changing socks won't happen, and will make you just want to stop from the pain and swelling. Take your boots off quick, but don't leave them off too long or they will be hard to get back on comfortably thanks to your feet being swollen. Also, make sure you know your feet before you go, if you have a high arch, make sure you know it. I was issued the right size but no arch support and boy did my arches feel some major pain. They can make you some custom in-soles if needed, but I never got around to it, and just toughened it out, then my feet got used to it. Probably not the wisest idea, but it didn't lead to any injury.

Thanks so much for the info guys. I do have at least 6 months before I make my commitment, because I am finishing up my college degree. I will be running and working out with ROTC here at school up until the point when I enlist. I regret not joining ROTC now that I have decided to join. I am also already running 2 miles every other day, but have not started ruck marching. Once again thanks for the info guys!

Double stocks, thin layered stock inside and then Army issue outside. Moleskin at pressure points is another possibility.