• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up BLM/Public land in Washington

MontanaKid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Body:Washington. Soul: Montana
I have been looking for a good/simple public land map for washington state and haven't been able to find anything. I am in the Vancouver area and would really like to find a good place to shoot. I know about clark rifles and the english pit, but I'm pretty much fed up with those places. Larch Mt. is another common place that I know of, but it seems like a grey area between LE and the people who shoot up there. There's also been a couple shootings up there. Anyway, if somebody can drop me a link, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Re: BLM/Public land in Washington

Google maps, Clark County GIS, and Skamania County GIS are all useful tools.

The DNR land area NE of Camas/Washougal is pretty big. If you put the time in and have a decent off-road rig you can usually find some open spaces for longer distances.

The Stevenson Range is just east of the Bridge of the Gods off Hwy 14. It can be pretty busy on the weekends but weekdays are OK.

Check out northwestfirearms.com for some other recommendations.

I refer to the traill maps section on the DNR website also. Plus, you need to know where all roads, trails, facilities, waterways, etc are prior to shooting so as to avoid complaints and/or accidentally violating the rules. You can also purchase detailed maps and USGS maps. Here's also a guide that outlines what areas are open to shooting/hunting although when I've spoken to DNR directly they've stated all areas are open provided it's being done in a safe manner. At least with a printout of the guide if LE were to show up you could point out that DNR has designated that specific area for shooting.

If you are in the Vancouver area, you might consider looking into shooting matches available at Douglas Ridge rifles outside of Estacada (1000 yard range), or Tri-county Gun club outside of Sherwood, (600 yards) with lots of tactical rifle, practical rifle, precision rifle 600 yard summer league shooting.

Lots of shooting opportunities without having to worry about drunk bubbas in the woods.

^Thanks for the info. I don't really have the means to push out that far yet. I kinda just want a place to shoot ARs, 10/22, etc. and not bother anybody/nobody bothers me. Seems to get more and more difficult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Google maps shows some pretty open land past Goldendale on highway 97, not sure if it's public though. </div></div>

There is very little public land around Goldendale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kodiak61</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Google maps shows some pretty open land past Goldendale on highway 97, not sure if it's public though. </div></div>

There is very little public land around Goldendale.

</div></div>

Got any maps?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt alot of land around Goldendale, WA, yakima indian nation land?

MontanaKid, If you want to go shooting at Douglas Ridge on a Thursday morning (long range day) some time just let me know and you can be my guest. I need some advance warning and need to plan ahead but can usually make it out there during the school year.

My membership is getting stale and I need to use it.

^Thanks for the offer, but I've got classes on thursdays
frown.gif